• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: THE ACOLYTE (2023?)
4 4

312 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2024 at 8:21 PM, Silver Surfer said:

I don’t bother with reviews, this seems entertaining enough that I will continue to watch it. I don’t get the love for Andor as I thought that was kinda of boring, they stretched out the storyline over too many episodes. 

Actually I take my first comment back. Having watch a few ruthless reviews I now realize just how bad this is when I look at the details. 

On 6/8/2024 at 2:34 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Actually I take my first comment back. Having watch a few ruthless reviews I now realize just how bad this is when I look at the details. 

When even easy-going reviewers consider this the CW version of Star Wars, that's a bummer.

I just think it is hilarious that they are using the old "Evil Twin everyone thought was dead" trope as the main storyline.  Seriously this was a thing back on "As the World Turns and General Hospital" back in the late 70s and 80s when my mom would watch her "programs".

Freaking South Park creators nailed it with the whole Kathleen Kennedy "Put a Chick in it and make her lame and ......"

On 6/8/2024 at 8:58 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Someone roll that interview clip of Iger saying that Disney isn’t trying to make w-o-ke movies. 

What are waken movies? Are you talking about movies that deal with real life issues? Issues that affect lots of people beyond just hetero white males? Oh, the humanity!! How dare they?

Well I don’t want to get into a big discussion and trigger anyone. Let me just say that Disney is cranking out these movies that seem to go out of their way to put these “real life issues” at the forefront. Now if you excuse me I have to go watch the She Hulk series again (said no one ever). 

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 10:50 AM, Hawkman said:

What are waken movies? Are you talking about movies that deal with real life issues? Issues that affect lots of people beyond just hetero white males? Oh, the humanity!! How dare they?

And my point was that he suggested that they do not intend to make movies along those lines (call it whatever you want) yet they double down with every other movie/series since he did that interview. Gaslighting?

Edited by Silver Surfer

On 6/9/2024 at 8:28 PM, D84 said:

I gave it a shot, but putting out fire in space lost me. After that, I walked away.

8tc8wh.jpg.634226b4c890ce4831d849a9796e26d2.jpg

Did you also walk away from A New Hope or Rogue One for a similar reason?

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-fire-in-space/

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 6/9/2024 at 9:14 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Did you also walk away from A New Hope or Rogue One for a similar reason?

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-fire-in-space/

I'll quote Corey's response from the article's comment section:

"An explosion or combustion of pressurized air jetting out of a spaceship is nothing like what the Acolyte showed.

Star Wars doesn't get its science right much of the time. Star Wars opts for dramatic effect, if *usually* still respecting at least the basic principles of how things like space work. What the Acolyte did was create one of the laziest effects ever seen in Star Wars, with what literally looked like a campfire dropped on top of a hull, not a rush of combusting air from a hull breach, not an explosion, just casual persistent flames glued to the side of a surface. It lacked even the pretense of space acting like space, and it looked bad, and Disney should feel bad.

This article also doesn't get its scenes right while desperately trying to defend this.

Take the Battle of Yavin:
"At one point, there are literal flames on the outside of Luke's ship, and Luke sends R2-D2 to put out the fire"

This *literally* did not happen. I *literally* just watched the entire Battle of Yavin to check.

1.) Luke doesn't "send" R2 anywhere during the battle. He's mounted at a fixed point into the ship.

2.) Luke issues precisely 3 commands to R2. The first time is when Luke's grazed by a TIE fighter, causing, not fire and certainly not a camp fire just sitting on his X-wing, but rather just some smoke and a small spark or two, to which Luke says "R2 see if you can increase the power; hang on back there". The second time Luke orders R2, nothing has hit him: "R2, that- that stabilizer has broken loose, see if you can't lock it down". The third time TIEs are bearing down on them and Luke says "R2 try and increase the power".

R2 explodes 78 seconds after that last command. Never, in any of this, did Luke's X-wing catch on fire.

This article is not only conflating unalike things, but it's entirely fabricating scenes to support a position."

On 6/9/2024 at 11:10 PM, D84 said:

I'll quote Corey's response from the article's comment section:

"An explosion or combustion of pressurized air jetting out of a spaceship is nothing like what the Acolyte showed.

Star Wars doesn't get its science right much of the time. Star Wars opts for dramatic effect, if *usually* still respecting at least the basic principles of how things like space work. What the Acolyte did was create one of the laziest effects ever seen in Star Wars, with what literally looked like a campfire dropped on top of a hull, not a rush of combusting air from a hull breach, not an explosion, just casual persistent flames glued to the side of a surface. It lacked even the pretense of space acting like space, and it looked bad, and Disney should feel bad.

This article also doesn't get its scenes right while desperately trying to defend this.

Take the Battle of Yavin:
"At one point, there are literal flames on the outside of Luke's ship, and Luke sends R2-D2 to put out the fire"

This *literally* did not happen. I *literally* just watched the entire Battle of Yavin to check.

1.) Luke doesn't "send" R2 anywhere during the battle. He's mounted at a fixed point into the ship.

2.) Luke issues precisely 3 commands to R2. The first time is when Luke's grazed by a TIE fighter, causing, not fire and certainly not a camp fire just sitting on his X-wing, but rather just some smoke and a small spark or two, to which Luke says "R2 see if you can increase the power; hang on back there". The second time Luke orders R2, nothing has hit him: "R2, that- that stabilizer has broken loose, see if you can't lock it down". The third time TIEs are bearing down on them and Luke says "R2 try and increase the power".

R2 explodes 78 seconds after that last command. Never, in any of this, did Luke's X-wing catch on fire.

This article is not only conflating unalike things, but it's entirely fabricating scenes to support a position."

I think the article’s only point was that there has been fire in space in Star Wars before, and maybe the uproar about fire in space is a little ridiculous. Nowhere did it take a position on quality of the show, writing, special effects, or anything. 

Corey spent a lot of time commenting and borderline worked up. If he doesn’t like the acolyte…cool. That’s all he’s got to say. Instead, he was example A of the absurdity the article was pointing out. 

Chill out, guys. It’s a Star Wars show. It’s not amazing. It’s not the worst thing Star Wars related. It’s eh, so far. Breathe. 

Also, I commend you for wading into the comment section of an article about Star Wars. Your mental fortitude is much stronger and resilient than mine. I’d still be banging my head against the wall. 

You are right it’s krap not just because of a fire scene in space, it’s krap for all of the numerous reasons already mentioned, but especially because Disney keeps putting people in charge who are so hyper focused on putting their social message ahead of everything else. They sure showed all those Lucas fans (eye roll). If this was released in the theatres it would be in and out in less than a month.

On 6/9/2024 at 11:42 PM, Silver Surfer said:

You are right it’s krap not just because of a fire scene in space, it’s krap for all of the numerous reasons already mentioned, but especially because Disney keeps putting people in charge who are so hyper focused on putting their social message ahead of everything else. They sure showed all those Lucas fans (eye roll). If this was released in the theatres it would be in and out in less than a month.

What’s the social message? Another girl gets in trouble or loses focus and needs a male to bail her out or help her find her way? That’s what we have here and had with Ahsoka.

In two episodes, we’ve got one female reliant on her male master to clear her name and another female character trying to prove her worth to another male. 

I’m not seeing anything forced down throats, and I’m not feeling victimized. I’m sorry if you are, though.

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 6/6/2024 at 9:53 PM, I like pie said:

You sound pretty ridiculous. 90% of the reviews are based on 2 episodes and review bombing. Your blind hate of Star Wars Disney lacks conviction. This series could very well end up being awful but people who don't even give it a chance before the story is told sound foolish.

I don't understand why the review sites allow anyone to vote before the series is completed. 

Do you need to finish the entire meal to know if it's good or not?