• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Unpressed" noted on the CGC Label

81 posts in this topic

Think of the possibilities:

"Unread."

"Unopened."

"Untouched by human hands."

"Sealed in original bag."

"Mint in original bag."

"Ultra RARE!!"

"NOT Incredible Hulk #181!" (think of the potential!)

Hell, they could even put "CGC it!!" on the labels....

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Think of the possibilities:

"Unread."

"Unopened."

"Untouched by human hands."

"Sealed in original bag."

"Mint in original bag."

"Ultra RARE!!"

"NOT Incredible Hulk #181!" (think of the potential!)

Hell, they could even put "CGC it!!" on the labels....

Sarcasm is often the salve that soothes the burning truth. 

12 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's a fun word, "salve."

How many "silent Ls" do you run into in English...?

hm

"Halve"

"Half"

"Salve"

That's about it.

Calve

2 hours ago, bronze johnny said:
2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I fully support your right to ask valid questions. I can even appreciate the sentiment behind your post; I myself prefer to collect books that haven't been pressed. But the idea that CGC will cater to your request is pretty far-fetched, don't you think?  (shrug) 

Try not to characterize my question with the words "cater, request, far-fetched" I asked a question.(thumbsu

He's not wrong though. Your request has about as much chance of becoming reality as it does me flapping my arms and flying to the moon. I'm surprised (honestly, I am, no sarcasm) that you would make such a request. 

58 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

He's not wrong though. Your request has about as much chance of becoming reality as it does me flapping my arms and flying to the moon. I'm surprised (honestly, I am, no sarcasm) that you would make such a request. 

Don't take your point as sarcasm but I'm in no position to "request" anything other than information. Jeff, I'm sorry my question caught you by surprise (no sarcasm here either). (thumbsu

Edited by bronze johnny

4 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Dear CGC, 

Can you note "Unpressed" on the label for books submitted from my collection that were purchased by me off the newsstand and never pressed? If not, can you please explain?*

Thanks,

John

* I've submitted this question to CGC in the Ask CGC section.

I hope somebody buys a million dollar slabbed book one day, finds out it was pressed, and sues CGC for fraud for not disclosing restoration. I don't think that all this crud about pressing not being restoration would fly with a jury of non-collectors. They'd see right through that confidence game.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Originally, CGC allowed pressed books to be acceptable because they could not ascertain if the book was pressed. Personally, I think they can tell 99% of the time but CGC wanted to introduce their own Pressing service. I concur that you should be able to request not pressed on the label but I don't think they will allow it.   

I swear I just heard a collective sigh of relief all the way from Sarasota... lol 

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Sarcasm is often the salve that soothes the burning truth. 

I think you can go to a doctor for salve to sooth a burning bush.

35 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I hope somebody buys a million dollar slabbed book one day, finds out it was pressed, and sues CGC for fraud for not disclosing restoration. I don't think that all this crud about pressing not being restoration would fly with a jury of non-collectors. They'd see right through that confidence game.

1. Grading is subjective; an entity cannot be sued for giving an honest opinion, without mitigating circumstances that would demonstrate a certain level of negligence and/or deception.

1a. CGC guarantees only that A. the item is authentic, and B. it was inspected by two professionals. There are no other guarantees CGC offers, including the detection of restoration. Therefore, if CGC fails to detect restoration...even restoration that might be obvious to even the most casual observer...they cannot be sued for fraud (and for it to be FRAUD, you'd have to PROVE that CGC was aware that there was restoration present, and ignored it, and that would be a very difficult case to prove. You can't sue for fraud just because someone may have made a mistake. Well...you can, but it would be a waste of your time and money.)

2. Restoration is either there or it is not, but proper pressing neither adds to, nor takes away from, a comic, and, while being a form of restoration, does not fall under the category of "restoration" recognized in the hobby.

3. Despite the claims of some, pressing cannot be detected all the time, regardless of by whom. A substantial number of books are pressed that do not exhibit any signs of pressing. If it cannot be detected (as opposed to merely being missed), it would...in contrast to your position here...open CGC up to liability if they "miss" it. Bad pressing is detectable, and yes...despite the claims of many, it IS factored into the grade of the book...but most good pressing is not. 

4. Trimming, color touch, tear seals, pieces added...all of these things CAN be detected, and are not original to the book, even if sometimes they are missed. Books can be "pressed" merely by stacking them properly in a box over time, therefore "pressing" can occur even if that's not the intent of the owner of the comic; color touch, trimming, tear seals, and other forms of recognized restoration does not happen...ever..."by accident."

5. Hoping that someone sues CGC on their own message board is probably not a wise idea.

Because of those reasons, I doubt you'd be convincing any jury of "confidence games."

I find that most people who think "pressing is restoration and ought to be disclosed" are people unfamiliar with what pressing actually is or does.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus