• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Unpressed" noted on the CGC Label

81 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Dear CGC, 

Can you note "Unpressed" on the label for books submitted from my collection that were purchased by me off the newsstand and never pressed? If not, can you please explain?*

Thanks,

John

* I've submitted this question to CGC in the Ask CGC section. Also posted this in Restoration Forum.

There's no way on the Lord's earth they would do this for you.  Many years ago, they graded a comic I had bought off the rack and owned for 35 years as "trimmed".  After notifying them, they agreed to accept it back and cracked out of the slab to have a look, but they never bothered with it and I had to call them twice just to get them to send it back to me.

So, no, if they won't accept that a comic was bought off the rack and never trimmed, they certainly won't accept anyone's word that a comic was bought off the rack and never pressed, let alone put it on the grading label.

Edited by namisgr

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

What degree of "pressing" does a bag, or bag/board combo, produce...?

What degree of "pressing" does stacking books, either vertically or horizontally, produce...?

What degree of "pressing" does placing books in boxes produce...?

(: organic-box.jpg

1 minute ago, namisgr said:

There's no way on the Lord's earth they would do this for you.  Many years ago, they graded a comic I had bought off the rack and owned for 35 years as "trimmed".  After notifying them, they agreed to accept it back and crack the slab to have a look, but they never bothered with it and I had to call them twice just to get them to send it back to me.

Would really be surprised if they came back and told me it could be done, but I still had to ask out of curiosity. 

15 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Nothing wrong with asking a question. This is America:foryou:

I fully support your right to ask valid questions. I can even appreciate the sentiment behind your post; I myself prefer to collect books that haven't been pressed. But the idea that CGC will cater to your request is pretty far-fetched, don't you think?  (shrug) 

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

I fully support your right to ask valid questions. I can even appreciate the sentiment behind your post; I myself prefer to collect books that haven't been pressed. But the idea that CGC will cater to your request is pretty far-fetched, don't you think?  (shrug) 

Try not to characterize my question with the words "cater, request, far-fetched" I asked a question.(thumbsu

26 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This thread (and its sisters) inspires me to ask if CGC can designate "unread" on the labels of my slabs. I think that would be a valuable addition. 

hm

In that vein, I have long boxes of post-unity valiants, mid-90's Image books & foil embossed Marvel books that can be designated "unseen", as they are in stacks of multiples that no one has ever seen nor has ever wanted to see. 

2 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Dear CGC, 

Can you note "Unpressed" on the label for books submitted from my collection that were purchased by me off the newsstand and never pressed? If not, can you please explain?*

Thanks,

John

* I've submitted this question to CGC in the Ask CGC section.

Originally, CGC allowed pressed books to be acceptable because they could not ascertain if the book was pressed. Personally, I think they can tell 99% of the time but CGC wanted to introduce their own Pressing service. I concur that you should be able to request not pressed on the label but I don't think they will allow it.   

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

In that vein, I have long boxes of post-unity valiants, mid-90's Image books & foil embossed Marvel books that can be designated "unseen", as they are in stacks of multiples that no one has ever seen nor has ever wanted to see. 

That's BRILLIANT! I've got boxes of 80s indie garbage that no one cares about...I'm asking for an "unloved" designation, STAT!

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's BRILLIANT! I've got boxes of 80s indie garbage that no one cares about...I'm asking for an "unloved" designation, STAT!

If CGC isn't interested I am sure we can fill the void of demand. 
I have a roll of stickers right here, we can print up the designations we want and sell them for $10 a pop. 

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

If CGC isn't interested I am sure we can fill the void of demand. 
I have a roll of stickers right here, we can print up the designations we want and sell them for $10 a pop. 

I want in! 

UVA - Unpressed Verification Authority

People might also mistakenly send us money in the hope that they’re buying sunscreen.

6 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Guys, I actually think there might be a chance that CGC will do this. I actually submitted a modern that came back a 6.0 once, and CGC noted “Unimpressed” on the label.

Damn it, Pruney, this thread r serial! 

SUPER serial!

:sumo: