• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s X-MEN '97 animated series (2023)
4 4

227 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2024 at 2:07 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I have to wonder - why do we see so much delay in something like an animation? What gets in the way of progress for something like this?

Technology has created the means to speed up the process of visual creativity and produce things at a much faster pace than previous generations of animations - right?

With people working remotely, one would imagine that the process of writing these stories would come much more easily, since the writer is immersed in his preferred, non-pressure filled environment leading to a better, more productive output. Right?

The advancements for sound engineering, as well as the reduced prices for professional equipment would also create a more streamlined process of getting voice-over work from talent. No need to coordinate studio time or costly FedEx overnight shipments of tapes when they can simply record everything right at home and upload audio files to the studio. Right?

I'm not sure when marketing and branding philosophies shifted to "fans will maintain the level of excitement for a franchise for years in between sequels and seasons", but a decade or so ago, it was important to follow up with continuations while fans we still energized about your property. I guess that sense of urgency is an outdated notion now.

Can anyone surmise why this stuff takes so long? Granted, it's a cartoon but I have to ask why it takes two years to produce 8 episodes of a cartoon show.

I'd imagine the vastly inflated budgets these days have something to do with it. Surely one episode of X-Men 97 would have cost more than a whole season of the original cartoon? 

On 10/16/2024 at 12:07 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I have to wonder - why do we see so much delay in something like an animation? What gets in the way of progress for something like this?

Technology has created the means to speed up the process of visual creativity and produce things at a much faster pace than previous generations of animations - right?

With people working remotely, one would imagine that the process of writing these stories would come much more easily, since the writer is immersed in his preferred, non-pressure filled environment leading to a better, more productive output. Right?

The advancements for sound engineering, as well as the reduced prices for professional equipment would also create a more streamlined process of getting voice-over work from talent. No need to coordinate studio time or costly FedEx overnight shipments of tapes when they can simply record everything right at home and upload audio files to the studio. Right?

I'm not sure when marketing and branding philosophies shifted to "fans will maintain the level of excitement for a franchise for years in between sequels and seasons", but a decade or so ago, it was important to follow up with continuations while fans we still energized about your property. I guess that sense of urgency is an outdated notion now.

Can anyone surmise why this stuff takes so long? Granted, it's a cartoon but I have to ask why it takes two years to produce 8 episodes of a cartoon show.

I wonder when the animators and the voice talent if they are committed to more than one production. So getting their work schedules lined up may be the biggest challenge.

On 10/16/2024 at 10:19 AM, Cat said:

I'd imagine the vastly inflated budgets these days have something to do with it. Surely one episode of X-Men 97 would have cost more than a whole season of the original cartoon? 

I agree with you on that - but that extends my question: in the light of all the creative efficiency we have experienced in the past 10 years, why do we see such a cost increase? All the advancements I've noted above were put in place to alleviate costly expenditures for studios. And I'm not trying to serve up a loaded question - I am truly mystified why everything moves so much slower, and would love to have it explained because I am curious.

On 10/17/2024 at 3:03 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I agree with you on that - but that extends my question: in the light of all the creative efficiency we have experienced in the past 10 years, why do we see such a cost increase? All the advancements I've noted above were put in place to alleviate costly expenditures for studios. And I'm not trying to serve up a loaded question - I am truly mystified why everything moves so much slower, and would love to have it explained because I am curious.

Well for one, the show is still hand-drawn. It used to be the cheapest way to do things, I'm pretty sure it's now one of, if not the, most expensive. 

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/x-men-97-jake-castorena-interview-hand-drawn-90s