• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s X-MEN '97 animated series (2023)
4 4

166 posts in this topic

Seems on brand to me.  Stan and Jack's X-Men were all about civil rights.  They were outcasts who the public mistrusted and hated because of who they were.  It fit right into the times; like it or not the X-Men franchise was always waken.  Stan would write Soapboxes about prejudice and bigotry.

Subhuman?

Edited by Unca Ben

On 2/18/2024 at 12:38 AM, Unca Ben said:

Seems on brand to me.  Stan and Jack's X-Men were all about civil rights.  They were outcasts who the public mistrusted and hated because of who they were.  It fit right into the times; like it or not the X-Men franchise was always waken.  Stan would write Soapboxes about prejudice and bigotry.

On 2/18/2024 at 6:26 AM, TupennyConan said:

The bigotry theme is the XM. A well-told XM tale shouldn't ignore it.   

These are both very polite ways to illustrate one of the primary themes of the X-Men.  Kudos to you both for not stirring the pot.  (thumbsu

On 2/18/2024 at 7:57 AM, masterlogan2000 said:

These are both very polite ways to illustrate one of the primary themes of the X-Men.  Kudos to you both for not stirring the pot.  (thumbsu

Tup's a scamp.  I'm innocent.  :devil:

Actually, Tup once labeled me a gadfly.  I wear that label with honor.

Here's Stan's Soap Box from 1968:

Let's lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. But, unlike a team of costumed super-villains, they can’t be halted with a punch in the snoot, or a zap from a ray gun. The only way to destroy them is to expose them—to reveal them for the insidious evils they really are. The bigot is an unreasoning hater—one who hates blindly, fanatically, indiscriminately. If his hang-up is black men, he hates ALL black men. If a redhead once offended him, he hates ALL redheads. If some foreigner beat him to a job, he’s down on ALL foreigners. He hates people he’s never seen—people he’s never known—with equal intensity—with equal venom.

Now, we’re not trying to say it’s unreasonable for one human being to bug another. But, although anyone has the right to dislike another individual, it’s totally irrational, patently insane to condemn an entire race—to despise an entire nation—to vilify an entire religion. Sooner or later, we must learn to judge each other on our own merits. Sooner or later, if man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill out hearts with tolerance. For then, and only then, will we be truly worthy of the concept that man was created in the image of God–a God who calls us ALL—His children.

Nowadays, just substitute the words "trans", "non-binary", "drag queen", even "gay" - for the words "black men" or "redhead" in the first paragraph.

As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say, "It's always something".
Screenshot2024-02-18084739.jpg.3934bcb0a57ad56809d2f168101d4f73.jpg

In an unusual situation on the eve of a project's debut, the writer-producer, who worked on 'Moon Knight' and 'Blade', will no longer be promoting the show or moving forward with future seasons.

Earlier this month, Beau DeMayo was in the midst of a particularly busy time at Marvel Studios. The writer-producer was preparing for the launch of X-Men ’97, the Disney+ series he created as a continuation of the beloved ‘90s Fox Kids show.

DeMayo, a Marvel regular who previously wrote on live-action series Moon Knight as well as early drafts of company’s delayed-but-still-upcoming vampire thriller Blade, had completed writing duties on season two of the series, was lining up press, and making plans to attend X-Men ‘97’s Hollywood premiere on March 13. He was even discussing loose ideas for a third season with members of his team.

But early last week, Marvel and DeMayo suddenly parted ways. His company email was deactivated and cast and crew were informed he was no longer on the project. DeMayo’s Instagram account, once a source for X-Men updates, was deleted. No reason for the firing was given. 

Marvel had no comment. DeMayo’s representatives did not return calls for comment and emails to the showrunner yielded no response.

:shiftyeyes:

On 3/13/2024 at 10:47 AM, drotto said:

Could it be connected to his Only Fans accounts?

That's what I'm seeing people speculate on in other forums, and the Hollywood Reporter article mentions it as well.  I haven't seen enough details to have an opinion though.  The article isn't clear about what he posted there aside from describing it as non-explicit, but supposedly he did post full frontal nude shots on it--just no sex pics with other people.  But the article also notes that his Only Fans account isn't there anymore, but I have no idea how long ago he shut it down.  If it was within the last week then that's a red flag that maybe Disney did fire him over it.

I'm mostly interested in it over the idea of what sort of personal behavior should employers care about.  James Gunn's firing by Disney seemed far too overly harsh.  I don't think I saw enough Gina Carano tweets to have an opinion about her firing, but it's interesting that she just filed a wrongful termination lawsuit against them last month.  If DeMayo did get fired over full frontal nudes then that seems about as questionable as Gunn's firing.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 3/13/2024 at 2:54 PM, fantastic_four said:

That's what I'm seeing people speculate on in other forums, and the Hollywood Reporter article mentions it as well.  I haven't seen enough details to have an opinion though.  The article isn't clear about what he posted there aside from describing it as non-explicit, but supposedly he did post full frontal nude shots on it--just no sex pics with other people.  But the article also notes that his Only Fans account isn't there anymore, but I have no idea how long ago he shut it down.  If it was within the last week then that's a red flag that maybe Disney did fire him over it.

I'm mostly interested in it over the idea of what sort of personal behavior should employers care about.  James Gunn's firing by Disney seemed far too overly harsh.  I don't think I saw enough Gina Carano tweets to have an opinion about her firing, but it's interesting that she just filed a wrongful termination lawsuit against them last month.  If DeMayo did get fired over full frontal nudes then that seems about as questionable as Gunn's firing.

The more I think about it the more I don't think either of them is questionable.

I mean, if you were Disney and said "Hey, here's a guy who developed a cartoon for us! Oh, by the way you can find full frontal nude pics of him on the internet." I don't think that would sit well with you.

The Gunn and Carano firings were under Chapak.  I don't recall any controversies like this under Iger, but I may be forgetting or missed some.  If DeMayo was indeed fired for nude pics buried deep behind a pay wall them I guess this will be an example of Iger doing it.

All three firings are fairly prudish, but I can definitely see the angle of "we're a family values company" so I'm not shocked by any of them, just disappointed.  The worst behavior of the three was probably Carano.  I don't even disagree with what she was trying to say, but wow did she choose incredibly crass ways to make her points.  :eek: I doubt she wins her lawsuit, but I guess we'll see. Supposedly Elon Musk is paying for her lawyers so that certainly improves her chances of he's willing to blow enough money on it.

Edited by fantastic_four