• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Problem with recent Heritage win, what do you think I should do?

19 posts in this topic

I just got this in the mail. It is a recent Heritage win for a Four Color #78 Porky Pig (yeah, I know I know, I *like* early Porky Pig comics insane.gif) Anyway the auction was advertised as a FN small tear at top of cover. Here is the Heriage pic

15071007020o.jpg

and link to the auction

It is really hard to see the tear in the regular auction photo, but when you expand it you can see it. Really hard to notice unless you are looking for it, and I figured I could live with that.

When I opened up the package this is what I found.

porky.jpg

Now the slight tear has turned to a chip out of the cover. 893whatthe.gif They had put the invoice in the mylar and I am assuming that the corner of the paper caught the tear and ripped out the cover piece.

What do you think I should do? I knew buying the book it had a tear on the cover, but I am really bummed about the cover piece coming out. I think it really wrecks the "displayablity" of the comic. Is this the type of thing that would be returnable? I can't be sure the piece came off because of any negligence on the part of Heritage. It could have just come off somehow in shipping. What are my options here?

A little tape and that'll be just fine grin.gif

Sorry, Bob, I just couldn't help myself.

I would contact Heritage and tell them what you found and that you want to return it and see what they say.

Does the book cover appear brittle at all? That could explain how a tear turned into a chip during shipping. Or it may well have happened before it was shipped as you are guessing. Anyway, I would think that they would be willing to make this one right one way or another.

Well, I have no idea what the legal position is, but if I sold a book to someone and the same happened, I'd certainly accept a return. It's not reached you in the condition it was when you bought it, and that has to count for something. And there's the issue of not alienating a customer by being difficult...I'm sure they could resell the book as FN with a chip rather than FN with a tear. Even if they didn't legally have to give you a refund/replacement, surely it's just good old-fashioned politeness.

First course of action must be to contact them and ask if they'll accept a return...

I suspect that Heritage will be more than happy to help you out. I hate chips out of books. Especially when the chip is floating around in the mylar.

Red

I would contact Heritage and tell them what you found and that you want to return it and see what they say.

Does the book cover appear brittle at all? That could explain how a tear turned into a chip during shipping. Or it may well have happened before it was shipped as you are guessing. Anyway, I would think that they would be willing to make this one right one way or another.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif tape, yeah that would work poke2.gif

Yeah, the edges of the cover are a bit brittle, but not too bad.

I'll give them a call and see what they say.

IMHO, this sounds like the likely scenario. that chip/chunk looks pretty tan/brown and quite possibly just popped off in the handling/shipping. i think Heritage would handle this appropriately - they have always been very professional with me............... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

i think the missing piece coupled with the other defects results in a less than fine grade, BTW.........still a pretty book, however........... thumbsup2.gif

i think the missing piece coupled with the other defects results in a less than fine grade, BTW.........still a pretty book, however...........

I agree. The spine is pretty sharp, but I think this has to be a VG or VG+ now.

They wouldn't take a return, but they did offer me $25 credit. Thanks for the help guys.

thumbsup2.gif

How much did you buy the book for? I'm really surprised that they wouldn't take the book back. Makes me question for future purchases.

They wouldn't take a return, but they did offer me $25 credit. Thanks for the help guys.

thumbsup2.gif

How much did you buy the book for? I'm really surprised that they wouldn't take the book back. Makes me question for future purchases.

If they stuck the invoice inside the mylar, I'm surprised they wouldn't offer a refund. They did damage to the book before sending it out and won't accept it back? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmm . .

I paid about $75 shipped with BP. Not a super high dollar book.

Well, there is no proof that the invoice in the mylar caused the chip, though I am pretty sure it did. I think their thinking is it was possible that I caused the book to chip after I got it I guess confused-smiley-013.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I would say that I think it is unusual that they don't offer a more lax return policy. I mean, c'mon, are you really going to lie about this book? And even if you did, are you telling me that Heritage can't take a $75 hit? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, I didn't make a HUGE fuss about it. I got the person I dealt with didn't really know too much about comics, as she said she would have to take to someone else about this kind of damage before she could do anything and then it took about 3 hours to get an answer.

I'm not really one to make too big of a deal about stuff and try to return stuff. I've only returned one comic in my life and that was because there were crayon marks all over the cover that were techincally allowed for the grade but I just couldn't live with. And that WAS a big hassle. Anyway, I look at it as $25 extra that I didn't have before I started today so

I think the bottom line is that the word tear is relative. Sellers should disclose the exact length of a tear on such a comic and perhaps offer a clear shot of a zoomed picture but maybe for their volume this isn't practical.