• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am NOT convinced.
1 1

31 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, F For Fake said:

The big one when I was a kid was "Gorilla At Large". The local convenience stores had the glasses. I was so excited. When the actual movie finally came on, it was so bad I don't think I even finished it.

Yes!! Gorilla At Large hype was nuts. The only moment I remember even being remotely titillating in 3-D was a point where the gorilla was swinging back and forth on a vine and came towards the camera. Other than that, it was a crushing disappointment. The advertising campaign was pretty exciting, though. 

29 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Yes!! Gorilla At Large hype was nuts. The only moment I remember even being remotely titillating in 3-D was a point where the gorilla was swinging back and forth on a vine and came towards the camera. Other than that, it was a crushing disappointment. The advertising campaign was pretty exciting, though. 

I'm so glad to finally find someone who can relate to this very specific disappointment from my childhood. xD

And the hype was real! I was very young, but I had a tape cassette that I'd recorded of myself pretending to be a young reporter talking to people about the excitement around Gorilla at Large. Man, I wish I still had that tape.

Sorry to bump a nearly 5-year-old thread, but I bought a Cherry #11 today at a comic show, and the seller said there were no glasses with it. When I took the book out to re-bag it when I got home, it turns out there were a pair of glasses in it, but I was sure there was no way they could be original, so I started searching. Imagine my surprise to find this thread, and to see that I had the same glasses that @JollyComics showed in his first post... But now I'm more confused. Did the book not come with glasses? If not, why do copies seem to have these banana gorilla glasses included? This is weird. Mine is a 1st print:

IMG_1287.thumb.JPG.6b7b55f21d8d26331332e9dcf02a91c3.JPG

IMG_1288.thumb.JPG.0204b2f11378ac8b292190cfd3ec4e48.JPG

IMG_1289.thumb.JPG.bf9ef49b2c23598053a954ba16eb7aea.JPG

IMG_1290.thumb.JPG.26adaf0c97e1950225e16b590ca7334c.JPG

IMG_1291.thumb.JPG.1d512ceb8a1689abdd23bae8dd8147b3.JPG

On 4/21/2024 at 5:15 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Sorry to bump a nearly 5-year-old thread, but I bought a Cherry #11 today at a comic show, and the seller said there were no glasses with it. When I took the book out to re-bag it when I got home, it turns out there were a pair of glasses in it, but I was sure there was no way they could be original, so I started searching. Imagine my surprise to find this thread, and to see that I had the same glasses that @JollyComics showed in his first post... But now I'm more confused. Did the book not come with glasses? If not, why do copies seem to have these banana gorilla glasses included? This is weird. Mine is a 1st print:

IMG_1287.thumb.JPG.6b7b55f21d8d26331332e9dcf02a91c3.JPG

IMG_1288.thumb.JPG.0204b2f11378ac8b292190cfd3ec4e48.JPG

IMG_1289.thumb.JPG.bf9ef49b2c23598053a954ba16eb7aea.JPG

IMG_1290.thumb.JPG.26adaf0c97e1950225e16b590ca7334c.JPG

IMG_1291.thumb.JPG.1d512ceb8a1689abdd23bae8dd8147b3.JPG

That's probably same book I received and returned.  I think it's same book!!!  What a deja vu!

On 4/21/2024 at 5:30 PM, JollyComics said:

That's probably same book I received and returned.  I think it's same book!!!  What a deja vu!

Wow! That's crazy!! I bought it today at a small show at the New Berlin, Wis. VFW Hall. Paid $7. That's amazing.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 4/21/2024 at 5:33 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Wow! That's crazy!! I bought it today at a small show at the New Berlin, Wis. VFW Hall. Paid $7. That's amazing.

7 bucks???  That's cheap.  I paid $75 and I was not happy with their grade.  I doubt that 3D glasses are original.

Right now, those 1st print high grade books are scarce.

On 4/21/2024 at 6:03 PM, JollyComics said:

7 bucks???  That's cheap.  I paid $75 and I was not happy with their grade.  I doubt that 3D glasses are original.

Right now, those 1st print high grade books are scarce.

I had a lucky day all around at the show today, I probably should have spent more, but I stuck to the budget I gave myself...

On 4/21/2024 at 8:25 PM, whisp said:

Mine came with glasses that didn't have arms on them.  I am assuming mine is a later print as well since different price on it.  

image.jpeg.f4e3d6a13f46ab6446d74e478f34570d.jpeg

Yes, it's 2nd print with the different price, missing CCA is replaced with Kitchen Sink Comix logo.  1st print books were printed in 1990. Three years later, 2nd print books were printed with varied 3D glasses.

The debate upon the original 3D glasses has been inconsistent .  I believe the publisher bought the wholesale of discarded 3D glasses to save money.

Notice: CGC will take the glasses out of the book for grading. There is only 22 on Census.  Right now, it's now scarce. I looked everywhere but I managed to find one near full run excluded #11 on eBay. #11 is available in Amazon and it didn't mention 3D glasses.  I remembered there were plenty of #1 1st print back in 2018.

On 4/22/2024 at 9:19 AM, JollyComics said:

Yes, it's 2nd print with the different price, missing CCA is replaced with Kitchen Sink Comix logo.  1st print books were printed in 1990. Three years later, 2nd print books were printed with varied 3D glasses.

The debate upon the original 3D glasses has been inconsistent .  I believe the publisher bought the wholesale of discarded 3D glasses to save money.

Notice: CGC will take the glasses out of the book for grading. There is only 22 on Census.  Right now, it's now scarce. I looked everywhere but I managed to find one near full run excluded #11 on eBay. #11 is available in Amazon and it didn't mention 3D glasses.  I remembered there were plenty of #1 1st print back in 2018.

Good info.  To note my 3d glasses says on other side for use with 3d posters unlike the ones shown in this thread that say for use with video.

Edited by whisp