• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to display/frame original art?

27 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

This may have been covered in another post, but I couldn't find.

How do you guys usually frame your original art for display?

I have an idea in mind where I will display the page of art on the left, and on the right, I will have the comic on the top, showing the cover, and the finished piece of art at the bottom, so my display would basically have three parts to it...

Anyone else done something like this before?

Go to a decent framer and go over your ideas with them. I asked for archival materials to be used (acid-free matting and glass that helps stop UV light). It wasn't too bad money-wise. I think it was about $80-something per piece (two 70s covers).

Then throw it up on a wall that doesn't get too much direct light (or any, if you can help it) and enjoy your stuff.

I've never spent over $19.99 (Before tax) on framing original art. I put it in a cheapo or used frame, if I can find a suitable size. I get custom glass cut for the sizes that are hard to find and do various backings (glass on glass works among other things) and hold it together with binder clips (minus their metal handles), using two to run the wire through, with acid-free construction paper behind the art, so that it touches nothing except acid-free paper or glass.

I used to do the whole multipart display thing, but now just let the art speak for itself, with maybe a small explanatory plate over the glass.

Hey guys!

This may have been covered in another post, but I couldn't find.

How do you guys usually frame your original art for display?

I have an idea in mind where I will display the page of art on the left, and on the right, I will have the comic on the top, showing the cover, and the finished piece of art at the bottom, so my display would basically have three parts to it...

Anyone else done something like this before?

Hi Alberto, I guess it appears you don't want to upgrade the DD #16, huh? sorry.gif Anyway, here's a picture of some of my framed art, I think this was what you had in mind. Each piece has a plain, black metal frame, and is double matted, with arhival materials and glass that blocks UV.

excaliburfullart.jpg

batmanfullart.jpg

Hey Jeff!

Yeah, sorry, my trip to the con backfired and made me switch gears entirely, 27_laughing.gif, so no DD #16 for me!

As for the art frames, yeah, that is pretty much what I had in mind, the only difference is that I had envisioned in my head having the cover at the top, and the finished art at the bottom, but you're pretty much right on the money! Do you have the whole comic inside the frame? or did you just cut the cover off, and only framed the cover?

Where did you get those frames? Did you get them custom made at a local framing store? How much did that cost you? Let me know! I think that looks dang nice, specially for really nice pieces smile.gif

Hey Jeff!

Yeah, sorry, my trip to the con backfired and made me switch gears entirely, 27_laughing.gif, so no DD #16 for me!

As for the art frames, yeah, that is pretty much what I had in mind, the only difference is that I had envisioned in my head having the cover at the top, and the finished art at the bottom, but you're pretty much right on the money! Do you have the whole comic inside the frame? or did you just cut the cover off, and only framed the cover?

Where did you get those frames? Did you get them custom made at a local framing store? How much did that cost you? Let me know! I think that looks dang nice, specially for really nice pieces smile.gif

I detached the cover at the staples, then framed the cover within the mat. The page is either just that single page or half of the wrap. Any way to do it, you'll have to butcher one copy of the comic to achieve your goal. I'm also a little of a grade freak, so the cover had to be pretty close to perfect. Maybe that's why I haven't gotten into silver age art yet. I wouldn't want to sacrifice a HG copy of any silver age book.

I got the frames at a local framing shop, and they are custom made because of the size. I like having space all around the frame. I recall that when I had them done, roughly two years ago, that they cost me around $125 each. I need to get another couple of them done, but have had other distractions.

Thanks for the info!

I hadn't though of just detaching the pages/cover at the staples. That makes sense, and yeah, you have to butcher one comic, but it's not that bad.

I'll have to stop by a frame store in the next couple of weeks and see what they'll charge for a similar setup.

Now I have your screenshots to show the store what I want done!! Thanks a lot!

What other art do you have?

What other art do you have?

I have:

Charles Vess splash page from Marvel Fanfare with Thor, Loki, Odin, etc.

Batman page with Joker

Jim Lee X-Men page mostly with Jubilee

Todd McFarlane pages: several Hulks, including one from #330, an All-Star Squadron page with Dr. Fate, and an Infinity Inc. page with Dr. Mid-Nite

Rich Buckler splash page with Avenger quinjets

Chris Bachalo double page spread from Shade the Changing Man

and my grail piece....

Stan Sakai wraparound cover to Usagi Yojimbo Summer Special, the first comic fully dedicated to Usagi Yojimbo. cloud9.gif

When I have my art framed, I like for the frame and matting to be in the colors of the main hero. Like my Flash 323 cover I had framed is in a red frame with a red top matting and a yellow second mat to give it a yellow line around the art. My Superman is blue frame and top mat with a red mat underneath. I'm not sure what colors I should use on my Ghost Rider 70 cover and my Kirby Super Powers cover since there's Flash and Superman on it. Hmmm...

Mike,

what you should do with that Kirby Super Powers cover is immediately turn it over to the proper authorites as this piece was believed to be part for the Gardner Muesum heist that consisted of other masterpiece. - I would be willing to act a mediator and you can send the art to me. This will be done in the most discret manner and your identity will be protected.