• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2021 at 7:54 PM, Legion of Goom said:

With all the super high grade Suspense Comics from the Promise Collection getting listed, I gotta wonder....how long till #3 gets listed? My guess/hope is he had a copy in there

They say it isn't in there but i thing someone is telling a fib lol

On 7/19/2021 at 10:22 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I've never cared about first appearances, but I've even been priced out of non-key books like Tec 31 and Cap 3.

Interesting to see that you think both 'Tec 31 and Cap 3 are non-key books, as I would certainly be happy to take them off your hands since I certainly wouldn't want them to disdain your persoanl collection. :bigsmile:  :takeit:

On 7/19/2021 at 4:57 PM, comicjack said:
On 7/19/2021 at 4:54 PM, Legion of Goom said:

With all the super high grade Suspense Comics from the Promise Collection getting listed, I gotta wonder....how long till #3 gets listed? My guess/hope is he had a copy in there

They say it isn't in there but i thing someone is telling a fib lol

From what I've heard, the Promise Collection of Suspense Comics is missing issues #1 through #4, as the Promise run starts from Suspense 5. :gossip:

The one that's more likely to be a fib is the Seven Seas run which just by some coincidence, is missing Seven Seas 4 and Seven Seas 6.  :devil:

On 7/20/2021 at 2:09 AM, lou_fine said:

Interesting to see that you think both 'Tec 31 and Cap 3 are non-key books, as I would certainly be happy to take them off your hands since I certainly wouldn't want them to disdain your persoanl collection. :bigsmile:  :takeit:

doh! I don't own either. :makepoint: Like I said, I've been priced out of them. :tonofbricks:

On 7/20/2021 at 8:36 AM, tth2 said:

If it was cherry picked, then who ever did the cherry picking did a pretty miserable job

On 7/20/2021 at 9:52 AM, batman_fan said:

Fact check: True

Arguing about taste is probably a waste of time.

On 7/21/2021 at 2:56 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Arguing about taste is probably a waste of time.

Usually when one talks about cherry picking, one is referring to taking the most valuable, easily saleable books.  When someone brings their BA collection to a dealer and the only books missing are GSX 1, UXM 94, IH 181, ASM 121, 122 & 129, then the immediate conclusion is that the collection was cherry picked.  No one says that if the collection has those keys in there but is missing some non-keys.  

So whoever "cherry picked" the Promise collection, as the term is normally understood, did a pretty lousy job if they left the Phantom Lady 17, various LB Cole key covers and other big ticket books.   

On 7/20/2021 at 9:09 PM, tth2 said:

Usually when one talks about cherry picking, one is referring to taking the most valuable, easily saleable books.  When someone brings their BA collection to a dealer and the only books missing are GSX 1, UXM 94, IH 181, ASM 121, 122 & 129, then the immediate conclusion is that the collection was cherry picked.  No one says that if the collection has those keys in there but is missing some non-keys.  

So whoever "cherry picked" the Promise collection, as the term is normally understood, did a pretty lousy job if they left the Phantom Lady 17, various LB Cole key covers and other big ticket books.   

Books could have been pulled based on a want list rather than dollar value. So maybe "cherry picked" is the wrong term. I don't share my want list, but there are books on it worth less than $200 in high grade, whereas there are plenty of 5- and 6-figure books out there in which I would have little interest even if I could afford them. (PL 17 is one of them.) Family members may even have saved a selection of books and deliberately avoided pulling the most valuable books.

On 7/21/2021 at 11:23 AM, twmjr1 said:

There are a LOT of GA books that have increased in value AT LEAST tenfold, or 1000%, in the last ten years I'd guess. Lots of the Timelys, for starters.

I haven't seen many with that big of an increase percentage-wise. I remember passing on a VF Cap 1 for $40K back in 2000 or 2001, and a VF recently sold for $395K on CLink, so that's a 10-fold increase over a period of about 20 years.

If you're talking about horror or romance books that could be had for a song ten years ago, then yes, ten-fold increases are common, but I don't think you'll find too many ten-fold increases in books that were already selling for 4 or 5 figures.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:56 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I haven't seen many with that big of an increase percentage-wise. I remember passing on a VF Cap 1 for $40K back in 2000 or 2001, and a VF recently sold for $395K on CLink, so that's a 10-fold increase over a period of about 20 years.

If you're talking about horror or romance books that could be had for a song ten years ago, then yes, ten-fold increases are common, but I don't think you'll find too many ten-fold increases in books that were already selling for 4 or 5 figures.

I remember a prominent collector/dealer had the Windy City copy of Captain America Comics #1 (VF+) priced at $65k and he sat on it for years! I think he eventually traded it away. Different times back then!

On 7/27/2021 at 11:09 AM, Timely said:

I remember a prominent collector/dealer had the Windy City copy of Captain America Comics #1 (VF+) priced at $65k and he sat on it for years! I think he eventually traded it away. Different times back then!

You sold your Mile High More Funs through Greg Manning Auctions, right? I think you made the right call. I'm sure that those have increased in value, but I think that the increases have been modest compared to many other titles. (I'm not even sure whether the More Funs have outpaced inflation.)