• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,943 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2021 at 3:17 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Also, there's a bunch of promise book's ending in the next 4-5 days, which seemingly will be very very affordable. Just in case anyone was looking to pick up a relatively cheap Promise copy.

Hey LDark I'm almost always in total agreement with you but very very affordable? Two very's?  I suppose if you're looking at it in comparison to what the first round of Promise copies went for then sure they will probably be affordable to most of us plebs because they aren't key or highly sought after issues plus are mid grade. On the other hand one can expect to pay about double for a Promise book than they would for the same in an ordinary Blue label. The Promise collection - We Promise you'll pay double for one. Sorry this is just me being cynical and critical again. After all I'm still trying to figure out how 5000 books fit up in that attic for 70 years.

On 8/4/2021 at 8:54 PM, Professor Chaos said:

Hey LDark I'm almost always in total agreement with you but very very affordable? Two very's?  I suppose if you're looking at it in comparison to what the first round of Promise copies went for then sure they will probably be affordable to most of us plebs because they aren't key or highly sought after issues plus are mid grade. On the other hand one can expect to pay about double for a Promise book than they would for the same in an ordinary Blue label. The Promise collection - We Promise you'll pay double for one. Sorry this is just me being cynical and critical again. After all I'm still trying to figure out how 5000 books fit up in that attic for 70 years.

Yeah that’s more what I meant, should have been specific. Affordable compared to everything in the last round that was going for tens or hundreds of thousands hahaha. I mean there’s a ton of books, some high grade with 3 days left still at $1. I suspect many will go for $500 and less. But I mean we’re talking titles that aren’t generally sought after lol

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 8/5/2021 at 1:39 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah that’s more what I meant, should have been specific. Affordable compared to everything in the last round that was going for tens or hundreds of thousands hahaha. I mean there’s a ton of books, some high grade with 3 days left still at $1. I suspect many will go for $500 and less. But I mean we’re talking titles that aren’t generally sought after lol

No I know what you meant, I was just messin  around. I'm sure they'll be some cheap Promise books coming now that the cream has been skimmed. At least I think it has, who knows maybe they'll break out some more killer books before its over.

Edited by Professor Chaos
spelling

On 8/4/2021 at 3:11 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Does anyone know if there's a way to sort books on Heritage by way of grade, like high to low? I just wanted to sort all upcoming Promise Collection copies that way, but didn't see it in the normal sort drop down box as an option. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 12.09.54 PM.png

That's strange.

I see an option on Heritage to sort grade high to low. Maybe it's a browser issue on your end? (shrug)

image.png.bb191a34097809c010190f04ca84912b.png

On 8/5/2021 at 6:31 AM, DanCooper said:

That's strange.

I see an option on Heritage to sort grade high to low. Maybe it's a browser issue on your end? (shrug)

image.png.bb191a34097809c010190f04ca84912b.png

Oh yeah that’s weird I don’t see them pop up. Yeah maybe browser, maybe Heritage doesn’t like me haha

On 8/5/2021 at 8:49 AM, Professor Chaos said:

No I know what you meant, I was just messin  around. I'm sure they'll be some cheap Promise books coming now that the cream has been skimmed. At least I think it has, who knows maybe they'll break out some more killer books before its over.

Upon looking on the auction starting on 8/20 I see there are quite a few high graded promises a comin including some seriosly high grade Marvel Mystery's and a 7.5 Detective 58. Looks like a pretty great auction all around. 

On 8/6/2021 at 2:55 PM, Gotham Kid said:

ComicLink auction will have this

RAD5CE5E2021728_112334.jpg

Nice. I hadn't seen that yet. I know you can only tell so much from photos and scans, especially when comparing them from different auction houses. To me the Promise example looks better judging by the cover. And that's the 2nd Promise Detective I've noticed with that kind of sticker on it. The sticker looks terrible but I don't think it figures into the grade.

lf.jpg

lf (1).jpg

On 8/6/2021 at 2:32 PM, Professor Chaos said:

Nice. I hadn't seen that yet. I know you can only tell so much from photos and scans, especially when comparing them from different auction houses. To me the Promise example looks better judging by the cover. And that's the 2nd Promise Detective I've noticed with that kind of sticker on it. The sticker looks terrible but I don't think it figures into the grade.

lf.jpg

lf (1).jpg

You think that book looks like a 7.5 without the sticker? 

On 8/6/2021 at 10:38 PM, szav said:

Usually it does.  I've seen it on the graders notes, and don't think I've ever seen a book with one that size get better than a 5.5, but that just my anecdotal observation.  Staple looks rusted with the beginnings of migration too.  CLink book looks much better, back cover absence and possible unseeable internal defects not withstanding.

The glue is usually a danger to the book, so it's something to be concerned about whatever the grade.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:38 PM, szav said:

Usually it does.  I've seen it on the graders notes, and don't think I've ever seen a book with one that size get better than a 5.5, but that just my anecdotal observation.  Staple looks rusted with the beginnings of migration too.  CLink book looks much better, back cover absence and possible unseeable internal defects not withstanding.

Oh ok it usually does. I wasn't sure but I figured if they noted it on the label that may mean its not figured in the grade. Then again I believe when the label says "cover detached" that must be figured into the grade so yeah I believe you are correct. And I do see that staple, looks oxidized and pitted a little.  I would take the 8.0 if I had the choice  because of the sticker on the 7.5. I think the corners look about the same on both but the colors, surface and spine , at least from the pics, to me look much nicer on the 7.5. 

On 8/6/2021 at 6:19 PM, LordRahl said:

You think that book looks like a 7.5 without the sticker? 

No. I think it looks more like a 6.0 to 7.0 even without the sticker. I don't think the 8.0 looks any better than a 7.0 either to be honest. But like they sometimes say, "I am not a professional grader". 

spelling

On 8/4/2021 at 8:29 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Now Heritage has the Promise, I'm sure someone will fall into another collection at a future date.

Sure, there is always another $25million plus dollar collection right around the corner.

On 8/6/2021 at 11:26 PM, Professor Chaos said:

Oh ok it usually does. I wasn't sure but I figured if they noted it on the label that may mean its not figured in the grade. Then again I believe when the label says "cover detached" that must be figured into the grade so yeah I believe you are correct. And I do see that staple, looks oxidized and pitted a little.  I would take the 8.0 if I had the choice  because of the sticker on the 7.5. I think the corners look about the same on both but the colors, surface and spine , at least from the pics, to me look much nicer on the 7.5. 

No. I think it looks more like a 6.0 to 7.0 even without the sticker. I don't think the 8.0 looks any better than a 7.0 either to be honest. But like they sometimes say, "I am not a professional grader". 

Cool. When are you holding your next sale?

On 8/7/2021 at 8:04 PM, LordRahl said:

Cool. When are you holding your next sale?

I feel like that is a indirect yet witty way of saying that you disagree. You asked what I thought the 7.5  tec 58 looked like if it didn't have the sticker. I said 6.0 to 7.0. Judging by your response I take it you you think it looks better than that.  I'm not sure why you asked my opinion on the grade , I guess because I said to me (judging by the pics) the 7.5 Promise looks nicer than the 8.0 on CL. What do you think of the 7.5? Just to be clear I'm not creating a debate, just wondering now based on your indirect yet witty response. 

On 8/8/2021 at 12:41 AM, Crowzilla said:
On 8/5/2021 at 8:29 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Now Heritage has the Promise, I'm sure someone will fall into another collection at a future date.

Sure, there is always another $25million plus dollar collection right around the corner.

This collection shouldn't even exist, according to certain loudly opinionated "experts" who kept stating emphatically that there were no more big OO GA collections out there.  

On 8/7/2021 at 9:41 AM, Crowzilla said:

Well I don’t know about 25 mil haha. But I certainly believe there’s million dollar collections out there waiting to be found. Not sure what the Fantucchio is going to finish at in total sales. I believe c-link amazingly still has books selling from that insane silver collection, been hitting their auctions for like 2 years now, different silver titles every time. It’s certainly somewhere from 5-10 mil though.

On 8/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, Professor Chaos said:

I feel like that is a indirect yet witty way of saying that you disagree. You asked what I thought the 7.5  tec 58 looked like if it didn't have the sticker. I said 6.0 to 7.0. Judging by your response I take it you you think it looks better than that.  I'm not sure why you asked my opinion on the grade , I guess because I said to me (judging by the pics) the 7.5 Promise looks nicer than the 8.0 on CL. What do you think of the 7.5? Just to be clear I'm creating a debate, just wondering now based on your indirect yet witty response. 

Guilty as charged. I think without the sticker, that book gets an 8.0/8.5. Given that I know the sticker figured into the grade, I'm inclined to think that CGC would have given it an 8.5 without as a .5 grade drop doesn't seem like enough. I think the residue on the back cover is from the sticker as well so I would imagine without the sticker on the cover, the back cover glue residue wouldn't be there either. I can see an argument being made for anything from 7.5 to 8.5 with and without the sticker but that book without the sticker is not a 6.0 on even the graders worst day. But seriously if that is how you grade, I would like to know when you are selling :baiting: I may not agree with your grading but it doesn't mean I wouldn't be a buyer. 

On 8/7/2021 at 9:07 PM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 8/7/2021 at 10:41 AM, Crowzilla said:

Well I don’t know about 25 mil haha. But I certainly believe there’s million dollar collections out there waiting to be found. Not sure what the Fantucchio is going to finish at in total sales. I believe c-link amazingly still has books selling from that insane silver collection, been hitting their auctions for like 2 years now, different silver titles every time. It’s certainly somewhere from 5-10 mil though.

There are still OO collections out there that have not come to market yet that have the big GA keys. The only question is whether the family members that inherit them sell or continue to hold. 

Edited by kimik