• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2021 at 6:07 PM, AlphaOmega said:

Congrats!  As one of the consignors of these MLJ books, I've been tracking prices for the owner.  Overall they have sold for 2X GPA with only 5 or 6 going for under GPA. This was one of the good buys which I would like to think was due to the "large" number of graded copies on the census (34). In comparison, many of these other MLJ books had fewer than a dozen copies graded.

It still blows my mind that the guy who amassed these books in the 60's-70's found them all without the Internet!

Thank you so much! Yes, Shield-Wizard #1 is a more common book than most of the other MLJs in the auction, which is very likely why the bidding stayed lower. It could also be said that the cover art is somewhat subdued compared to most of the later issues, which tend to feature war themed artwork of a more graphic nature. All things considered, it still brought a respectable amount, just below the most recent GPA sale in grade. 

On a separate, yet related note, thank you for sharing all of the pics of the books in their raw state!!! The video you posted was also a nice way to view the collection as you guys told the story of how the books were brought to market! You did a very nice job all around with this collection! Thank you for all of your efforts! 

On 9/12/2021 at 7:15 AM, AlphaOmega said:

I'd like to think that part of the reason for all of the action on the MLJ's was due to the sheer number of them.  When I approached Heritage with the collection, we felt it would make a big "splash" if all could be offered at once. 

This.

I think seeing so many books from the same title or same publisher at the same time causes collectors' OCD impulses to go into overdrive.

Edited by tth2

Prices from the most recently completed round that caught my eye.  These aren't books I follow, so perhaps the cognoscenti of these books aren't as surprised as I am:

Crimes by Women #3 CGC 9.6 ... $26,400

Gem Comics #1 CGC 9.4 ... $14,400

Saddle Justice #6 CGC 9.6 ... $21,600

War Against Crime #2 CGC 9.6 ... $21,600

Wonder Comics #15 CGC 9.4 ... $16,800

On 9/11/2021 at 8:44 PM, AlphaOmega said:

Issue #2 and #4 from this collection will be in the November auction!  Just sayin'.....

I'll be there and hopefully the rest of the collection will be too!!! I know they're crazy busy in that grading room, doing the best they can to manage the huge influx of submissions! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the collection!!! 

On 9/11/2021 at 4:05 PM, tth2 said:

Prices from the most recently completed round that caught my eye.  These aren't books I follow, so perhaps the cognoscenti of these books aren't as surprised as I am:

The who?

actually I am shocked at all of it.

Winter auctions have normally been more reasonably priced as collectors get caught up in the holidays.  Let’s see if that norm gets shattered. Maybe 7102 or whoever might take a break 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 9/11/2021 at 10:05 PM, tth2 said:

Crimes by Women -- has flown under the radar but extreme covers like that are doing just fine this year, especially uber-high grade Promise books.  I would not have predicted it, but I wasn't surprised.  (Former highest graded was an 8.0).

Saddle Justice and WAC I didn't need to look up (but I did anyway).  Those are new sole-highest, scarce ECs, so you have a couple people competing very hard to have the best EC run, driving up in the price in the process.

Gem Comics -- been a sought after book for a number years.  It would have surprised me if it went under 10k for a ped copy last year.  Give it a bump for it being a Promise book and you almost get to $15k.

Wonder 15 -- highly sought after.  It would have gone higher if it weren't one of 6 at 9.4.

On 9/11/2021 at 7:05 PM, tth2 said:

On 9/11/2021 at 7:48 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The who?

actually I am shocked at all of it.

Why, you you dilettante...........................one of the cognoscenti, of course.  :baiting:  lol

Seriously though, the item that I was most shocked at and one which I had already alluded to before in a previous post wasn't even a comic book even though it was astutely and deftly placed right into the middle of the comic book lots:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/books/overstreet/overstreet-comic-book-price-guide-1-first-printing-overstreet-publications-1970-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7246-94188.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F4%2F5%2F2%2F24452914%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Sold for what I thought was a rather astounding $45,600 which kind of makes me wonder if Bidder 7102 with his bags full of money was the winner of this book here.  Especially since the last record sale of this book was for a then single highest graded CGC 9.2 copy in 2018 for what I thought at the time was already an astounding price of $9K, before a second 9.2 graded copy the following year brought it down to a more reasonable $4,800.  Maybe it was the placement of the book in this particular go round which ensured many more eyeballs with money to spend would be seeing this book, as opposed to its usual placement of being lost in the odds & ends miscellaneous section of the auction.  hm  (shrug)

This result here reminded me of a conversation that I had the other year with a supposed member of the cognoscenti who had commented that this book was without a doubt one of the most important books within the comic book hobby.  Not only that, but with its very limited print run of only 1,000 copies and coupled with the fact that the book was meant to be read and used, the likelihood of very many surviving in high grade would be very slim.  His advice to me was to grab one should one in grade ever come along, but definitely not at this price point for me.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/11/2021 at 11:36 PM, eschnit said:

Now if The Dentist chose to liquidate, that may do the trick, but that ain’t happening, and if it did, wouldn’t happen on Heritage.

why do you say that ?

On 9/12/2021 at 1:35 AM, Gotham Kid said:

why do you say that ?

I don’t really know enough to speak on it.  Others probably know better.  I do believe he has toe Allentown Tec 27 that’s far and away the best copy anyone knows of.  I’d guess both his Mile High Action 1 and his Tec 27 would far exceed the hammer on the AF 15 that just sold.

It would be really interesting to see them both sell in the same auction.  I don’t think value is necessarily defined by the 2nd most someone is willing to pay at a moment in time.  But there’s not a better way to come up with fair value that I’m aware of.  That auction would obviously shatter records if it were done at a decent time in the economic cycle.