• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2021 at 11:51 PM, lou_fine said:

Definitely a strong price at $16,800 , I didn't really care too much for either the size or the placement of the "coding" on this copy of Wonder 15 as I found it to be a bit too obtrusive and distracting for my taste:  :p

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F5%2F0%2F7%2F24507922%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Markings that deliberately deface the book don't seem to affect the desirability or value.  If there had been no markings on her leg but instead a barely noticeable bit of black pen mark in the black area, with everything else the same, most people would expect that to affect the desirability and value, and they'd be right, but in the wrong direction.   

Edited by bluechip

On 9/11/2021 at 3:36 PM, eschnit said:

I think Heritage may have a challenge outdoing this one.  Doubtful there’s any single book on the planet that would cause as much stir as 1 of the 9.6 AF 15s.  The highest graded Action 1 and Tec 27 are worth more imo, but less interested parties. Now if The Dentist chose to liquidate, that may do the trick, but that ain’t happening, and if it did, wouldn’t happen on Heritage.  Regardless, super impressive, and probably shouldn’t underestimate their ability to pull rabbits. 

If by interested parties you mean more fans of Spidey who might hear what the comic sold for, I would agree.  But if by interested parties you mean people with the sort of money they could and might actually pay 3.6 million for a comic book, you're talking about people who are both superhero fans and top copy chasers and they probably know a peak condition copy of Action 1 or Detective 27 is far less likely to end up sharing that status with as many other copies as an AF15.   And they will also know that if they happen to like Spidey more they can find a newsstand appearing copy virtually any day they are prepared to pay the going rate, and that's not necessarily true of A1 or Tec27

Edited by bluechip

On 9/13/2021 at 12:58 AM, bluechip said:

If by interested parties you mean more fans of Spidey who might hear what the comic sold for, I would agree.  But if by interested parties you mean people with the sort of money they could and might actually pay 3.6 million for a comic book, you're talking about people who are both superhero fans and top copy chasers and they probably know a peak condition copy of Action 1 or Detective 27 is far less likely to end up sharing that status with as many other copies as an AF15.   And they will also know that if they happen to like Spidey more they can find a newsstand appearing copy virtually any day they are prepared to pay the going rate, and that's not necessarily true of A1 or Tec27

I agree with you.  I meant the first basically. I think the top Tec 27 or Action 1 would break this record, and certainly is the more exciting book to me.  All I meant was 1000s of folks own AF 15s, and 10s of 1000s consider it a grail, along with whatever heat comes from Spidey being hot right now.  Whereas Action 1 and Tec 27 are obviously more thinly owned, and there aren’t too many that consider them real grails.  Meaning, how many realistically believe they they’ll ever potentially own 1.  Because that market is relatively small, I just think the fervor in advance of the auction may not be as big, and so, the trickle down effect for the rest of the auction may not be as much.  Not sure if that makes sense.  But that was my thought.

I mean, I *generally* fault Overstreet Guide for being far behind the times. But I cut them some slack for not being on top of this specific MLJ spike. (shrug) Time will tell if it holds I guess.