• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,896 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2021 at 10:05 AM, tth2 said:

Prices from the most recently completed round that caught my eye.  These aren't books I follow, so perhaps the cognoscenti of these books aren't as surprised as I am:

Saddle Justice #6 CGC 9.6 ... $21,600

This is showing up in the previews for the November auction.  I guess this wasn't a real sale after all.

On 9/19/2021 at 3:17 AM, tth2 said:

This is showing up in the previews for the November auction.  I guess this wasn't a real sale after all.

truly shameless. one would think they'd at least wait a bit before relisting the product of a fake sale. 

On 9/19/2021 at 5:17 AM, tth2 said:

I was about to hit the nuclear button until I saw that Heritage is admitting, in their current ad, that it had been previously up for sale and that, for whatever reason, the sale did not complete. The wording is vague, and susceptible of many meanings.  (the most innocent of which would be the sale didn't get completed because the buyer was overextended, and the most damning would be if Heritage was trying to imply that the book didn't get brought to auction at all - an obvious falsehood).  Regardless, I can’t rule out the possibility of an innocent explanation, and have withdrawn my finger from the nuclear button. 

A1109017-07DC-4FD2-A552-16BE83659978.png

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 9/19/2021 at 8:45 PM, szav said:

I don't consider myself one of the apologists and there's certainly the possibility of shenanigans, and without clear explanation of what happened people will usually assume the worst, but out of hundreds of books sold this has happened for just one or two books now?  Don't think it really indicates conspiracy just yet.

I also don't think Heritage owes anyone an explanation, but it might help their image to be a little more transparent, or clear in their language, and just say if a buyer backed out/defaulted/died before completing time payments or whatever legitimate explanation there might be.   But again, don't think they really have any obligation to do so. 

Don't they have the option of offering the book to the underbidder?

On 9/19/2021 at 9:04 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 9/19/2021 at 12:17 AM, tth2 said:

I was about to hit the nuclear button until I saw that Heritage is admitting, in their current ad, that it had been previously up for sale and that, for whatever reason, the sale did not complete. The wording is vague, but can’t rule out the possibility of an innocent explanation 

lol... you beat me to it, Clark. I was preparing a response to your last post that altered me (can't seems to find it now), but took a quick break.

Anyway, the book was removed from the Heritage archives, too. As a result, there's no way to determine the bid source.

I noticed in the last Promise auction a lot of the books were acquired with the method of "HA.com/Live bidder." Many of the "internet" bids were beat out by that method (I was one). The bidding would go back-and-forth and ultimately the winner would be the "live" bidder. Not sure what to make of it, if anything. (shrug)

SJ-6_9-6_promise-collection-heritage-search.thumb.png.e60d1789e174562fc3c23c1334c80b2b.png

On 9/19/2021 at 8:52 PM, woowoo said:
On 9/19/2021 at 8:50 PM, goldust40 said:

Don't they have the option of offering the book to the underbidder?

I say the underbidder should be the winner right ?. 

I would've thought yes, assuming the underbidder still wants it.

On 9/19/2021 at 8:53 PM, szav said:

My understanding is sometimes they do this, but naturally some underbidders may not want the book at the winning price or even one bid increment less.  For all they know they may have gotten the book for half the price if the defaulting bidder had not participated.

That and the possibility that they may have spent their budget on other lots. But I think it's common.