• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,896 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2022 at 8:25 PM, tth2 said:
On 4/8/2022 at 2:07 PM, Dark Knight said:

As Gotham said, the hobby has a lot to do with having the front cover at least. 

Then how do you explain the slabbed page phenomenon?  

Therein lies the biggest question of them all.  Why are single slabbed pages selling for a crazy amount and if put together complete, would cost more than buying a complete coverless copy.  This is something to ask single paged collectors because there is no definitive answer, but I can think of a myriad of reasons:

1) It's cheaper to buy single pages rather than a complete coverless that can be worth six figures.  Everyone has a budget they could spend and this attracts more collectors and is more attractive for their wallets.

2) Maybe that buyer/collector needed that one single page to complete their coverless copy

3) Maybe that buyer/collector wants to display that single page because it's meaningful to them or it is a significant part/panel of the entire book. Similar to OA collectors display their treasures. All it takes is that one panel/page.

4) Just to own a piece of history. Ya just like that "No. 1" Action Comics cover piece lol

5) Just to have a third party grading label say this is a Detective Comics #27 or Action Comics #1.  Yeah it's funny and silly, but I think some collectors feel that by having a label with a big book stated on it, it makes them have a sense of pleasure and "wowness."

On 4/9/2022 at 1:14 PM, Dark Knight said:

Therein lies the biggest question of them all.  Why are single slabbed pages selling for a crazy amount and if put together complete, would cost more than buying a complete coverless copy.  This is something to ask single paged collectors because there is no definitive answer, but I can think of a myriad of reasons:

1) It's cheaper to buy single pages rather than a complete coverless that can be worth six figures.  Everyone has a budget they could spend and this attracts more collectors and is more attractive for their wallets.

2) Maybe that buyer/collector needed that one single page to complete their coverless copy

3) Maybe that buyer/collector wants to display that single page because it's meaningful to them or it is a significant part/panel of the entire book. Similar to OA collectors display their treasures. All it takes is that one panel/page.

4) Just to own a piece of history. Ya just like that "No. 1" Action Comics cover piece lol

5) Just to have a third party grading label say this is a Detective Comics #27 or Action Comics #1.  Yeah it's funny and silly, but I think some collectors feel that by having a label with a big book stated on it, it makes them have a sense of pleasure and "wowness."

Mos def not the last one, for me anyway.  I had my Bat 1 complete blue label but still wanted the first Bat first Cat first Joker pages to make my ownership experience complete 

you almost made me spit out my cornflakes 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 4/9/2022 at 11:24 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Mos def not the last one, for me anyway I had my Bat 1 complete blue label but still wanted the first Bat first Cat first Joker pages to make my ownership experience complete 

As silly as #5 sounds, in today's world it is definitely a reality.  I mean people dumping millions of $'s on digital art and assets lol. Oh better yet an imaginary statue :screwy:

On 4/9/2022 at 2:27 PM, Dark Knight said:

As silly as #5 sounds, in today's world it is definitely a reality.  I mean people dumping millions of $'s on digital art and assets lol. Oh better yet an imaginary statue :screwy:

I've collected different things at times, but I will never be able to get into NFTs. If the collecting world passes me by because of that, oh well. I would rather collect comic book reprints than NFTs. I do not get the appeal of those; not at all. Maybe I'm just too old.

On 4/8/2022 at 11:07 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

It would appear the market can bear more then enough. For decades now.

Yes, but it might not be a smart play to get into a bidding war unless "winning" truly trumps financial considerations. On a book-by-book basis, it's still possible to lose a lot of money.

MileHighAdventure.PNG

Adventure672010.PNG

On 4/9/2022 at 2:38 PM, Terry JSA said:

This sale surprised me a bit. I didn't think it would hit $30k for a CGC .5 copy that's incomplete.

2071667954_WhizComics1Incomplete-ThePromiseCollectionPedigree_Lot95183_HeritageAuctions-Personal-MicrosoftEdge4_9_20222_29_45PM(2).thumb.png.5ff66a16b7f9edbcab3880d2d336aeac.png

Nothing should surprise with these books all going for crazy money :whatthe:

On 4/9/2022 at 11:14 AM, Dark Knight said:

It's this 100%. I think that it easy to forget especially in this forum that the majority here are the Elite collector. They are dealers or collectors who purchased their books that were relatively cheap many years ago that are now going for upwards of 6 figures. To be the top 1% in the 🇺🇸 means you make about 600k a year before tax. So after tax income say in Florida after Fed, FICA, state, local and 401k is about 320k. You allocate 10% of that to buying a big book as you have all that other sucky adult life stuff to pay for. You have $32000 to spend. All you can afford is 3/4 of a page of Batman 1. Or you allocate 90% of your income to buying big books and you live in a shack in the swamp held together by CGC Slabs.

On 4/9/2022 at 3:15 PM, Terry JSA said:

I know that’s the cause for it. We’ve been seeing inflated prices with this Pedigree for awhile now.

Yes. I bought one mid-grade book today. I paid a premium for it, but I knew I'd have to. It ended within the range that I thought it would, so I can live with the price.

Some of the books I was watching sold for two-three times what I thought they would, even factoring in the Promise premium. The only ones that sold for less than I thought they would were a couple of the late 40s Actions.

On 4/9/2022 at 2:38 PM, Terry JSA said:

This sale surprised me a bit. I didn't think it would hit $30k for a CGC .5 copy that's incomplete.

On 4/9/2022 at 3:12 PM, comicjack said:

Nothing should surprise with these books all going for crazy money :whatthe:

A 0.5 Whiz1 like this one (missing only the back cover) sold for $15.5K back in 2016, and that one had slightly brittle pages.  The recent sale, w/ better C/OW pages and almost six years later, would have been expected to go for more, especially in light of hobby-wide boom since 2019?  Add consideration of any Promise effect and you could say it underperformed, while still doing well.  

On 4/9/2022 at 4:09 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The CC 8.0 went for $23k just a few weeks ago. I’m not sure what to make of this. I’m tempted to conclude these books are being bid up by people new to the hobby with little sense of history

D890690F-D198-4F03-A4E3-D820036BEA01.jpeg

Probably. It's a great cover but not a scarce one by any means.

On 4/9/2022 at 4:22 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Probably. It's a great cover but not a scarce one by any means.

There are 13 copies 7.5 and higher.  That's a very small number relative to the size of the Marvel Zombie Collecting Community.

On 4/9/2022 at 12:02 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Yes, but it might not be a smart play to get into a bidding war unless "winning" truly trumps financial considerations. On a book-by-book basis, it's still possible to lose a lot of money.

MileHighAdventure.PNG

Adventure672010.PNG

Yeah no denying that could still happen. I meant overall, prices have been pretty sustainable for a while. Obviously there’s the potential for a random book here and there to result in a massive whopper of a loss like that one those many many years ago. Could still happen today for sure. But the market was going up waaayyyy before the current craze occurred.

On 4/9/2022 at 3:23 PM, comicnoir said:

Almost? I get multiple emails from them. Some wanting money. lol

I like the email they sent on **Wednesday** warning me "last chance!" to bid on books ending Sunday (tomorrow).  hm 

Followed of course by reminder emails Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  hm hm hm 

Can't say they're not persistent. :banana: