• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2022 at 4:17 AM, Gotham Kid said:

It's like Heritage absolutely NEEDS to have at least one 1Mil book in each auction now ...

25973965%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

I remember watching those auctions close. It was fun to see the WW1, Sensation 1 and All Star 8 all run consecutively. Gorgeous books, all 3.

On 4/24/2022 at 6:32 PM, lou_fine said:

Any idea when and what it sold for and I imagine it must be some buyer with a speculative day trading mentality in order to try to flip it so quickly?  hm

It would be safe to say you're speculating about that.  

On 4/25/2022 at 7:25 AM, Aman619 said:
On 4/25/2022 at 5:49 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, if the SF copy of Cap 1 sold for only $915K back in 2019 and then was successfuuly resold for $3.12M earlier this month, why not give it a shot with the single highest graded copy of AS 8 that sold for some $936K back in 2017.  :wishluck:

Or not. And just hold on to it for many more years. Anyway, I was misunderstanding about it having been sold recently. 

It would be amusing if it crashed and burned, but the recent downturns in the stock market and crypto market don't seem to have affected the continued tidal wave of money coming into comics and OA at all.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:18 PM, Dark Knight said:

It sure affected a lot of the video games from this weekend's signature auction. Most sold for around half off from all time highs last year.

Video games and comics ...especially GA comics... are totally different markets, IMO, crossover interest notwithstanding. I’d never gauge collector enthusiasm for one collectible by the other.  

On 4/25/2022 at 11:04 PM, Robot Man said:

I think we have become numb to million dollar sales anymore. Who would have ever thought?

The human mind is very flexible in adapting to new benchmarks.

Remember when Catfish Hunter blew everyone's minds by signing a 5-year contract with New York for the princely total amount of $3.35m?  Now players make $33.5m/yr and we don't even bat an eye.

Extra credit if you can name who became baseball's first Million Dollar Man!

On 4/24/2022 at 6:47 AM, Aman619 said:

So somebody bought this AS8 last year… and is now selling it?  Feels like a failed upgrade gamble so now sell it.  Lightning didn’t strike twice!

I was gonna say that it now has a little gold sticker, but after looking at it that sticker has always been there.  So any sale price is going to be without any upgrade, manipulation or change.  How high will it go?  $1M easily.  $1.5M+ or $2M+?  Fun to see.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/24/2022 at 8:18 PM, Dark Knight said:

It sure affected a lot of the video games from this weekend's signature auction. Most sold for around half off from all time highs last year.

There's been a lot of talk that the video game market was artificially inflated.  This might be the result.

On 4/24/2022 at 6:34 PM, buttock said:

It would be safe to say you're speculating about that.  

My guess, based on Roy having brokered the AS 8 sale last year and the Supes 1 sale this year, is that maybe the guy who bought the Supes 1 is selling the AS 8 to help fund the purchase.  And, yes, that's pure speculation based on the Roy angle.

On 4/25/2022 at 1:38 PM, sfcityduck said:

My guess, based on Roy having brokered the AS 8 sale last year and the Supes 1 sale this year, is that maybe the guy who bought the Supes 1 is selling the AS 8 to help fund the purchase.  And, yes, that's pure speculation based on the Roy angle.

My guess is that it's the guy's right to sell it for whatever reason he wants.  I certainly don't want my purchases and sales judged by others.  

On 4/25/2022 at 12:53 PM, buttock said:

My guess is that it's the guy's right to sell it for whatever reason he wants.  I certainly don't want my purchases and sales judged by others.  

Of course its the seller's right, and we'll probably never know who the seller is or what motivated the auction.  And if it turns out well, as I expect, no one will care.  But in this hobby rumors circulate and people also have a right to speculate about the whys of transactions, especially those that don't turn a profit, because it bears on the strength of the market.  An "investor" attempting a quick flip is a much different circumstance and says different things about the market than a collector selling to fund a more expensive and desirable purchase opportunity that was unexpected, for example.  

On 4/25/2022 at 7:21 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Video games and comics ...especially GA comics... are totally different markets, IMO, crossover interest notwithstanding. I’d never gauge collector enthusiasm for one collectible by the other.  

Agreed, totally different collectibles and market but it seems that a lot of these collectors/investors who spend big money are buying comics, video games, cards, etc whatever they want to spend their $ on. I see it all the time on social media posting their prized collectibles whatever it may be. 

Also what about these fractional shares companies like Otis and Rally who buys different collectibless to and sell shares for each one. They are indeed major players that's driving up the market too.

On 4/25/2022 at 12:32 PM, sfcityduck said:

There's been a lot of talk that the video game market was artificially inflated.  This might be the result.

It is indeed possible. I personally don't know who these buyers are spending 6-7 figures on sealed games. The consignor who sold the Mario 64 game for $1.5 mil is a respectable collector in the hobby and he did indeed got paid. I also recently just found out who the buyer was.

We'll see if the comic book market will be sustainable at these price levels. So far all the collectible markets I'm familiar with spiked up practically overnight and have tanked after a year or two. Comic books are the last one that I know that have not taken a nosedive.

Edited by Dark Knight

On 4/24/2022 at 11:18 PM, Dark Knight said:

I don't think that's entirely accurate.

I consigned 21 games.    I had a range in mind as what I might get.     I ended up at double the high end of my estimate; my material did better than I could have hoped for.

That wasn't the experience for everyone, but the fact is the market is both up and down as opposed to just down 50% across the board.    Certain things are up, certain things that never should have been as high as they got to... are down.  

Edited by Bronty

On 4/25/2022 at 2:57 PM, Bronty said:

I don't think that's entirely accurate.

I consigned 21 games.    I had a range in mind as what I might get.     I ended up at double the high end of my estimate; my material did better than I could have hoped for.

That wasn't the experience for everyone, but the fact is the market is both up and down as opposed to just down 50% across the board.    Certain things are up, certain things that never should have been as high as they got to... are down.  

Of course there were some games that sold higher, but overall, it wasn't as strong as sales from last year collectively.  The games you consigned, were they mostly if not all pop 1's at that grade and/or only a few copies graded in the pop report?  If so, then I can see why your consignments did well.  A few of the games that most collectors were shocked at were the chrono trigger 9.6, TMNT turtles in time 9.8, the VGA 95 of the Super Mario Land trio set, Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 9.6's, Sonic 9.8, and Halo NFR 9.8 version, just to name a few all underperformed greatly compared to previous sales.  These are pretty big titles in the gaming collecting community.  Sure, I saw some that sold higher than expected, but the sentimental feeling of that auction this time around was overall a letdown.  

I knew that once the WATA pop reports are released, a number of these high profiled games would take a hit, especially those games that were made in the mid-late 90's and newer.  I think NES games have the better "investment" value in the long term.