• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 10/15/2022 at 10:45 AM, buttock said:

The Gangsters Can't Win, although not really pretty, seems to have defects associated with printing.  While it's not a pretty 8.5, it seems within range for the grade. 

Yes, this point was mentioned before and I would tend to agree with you that the apparent horizontal spine stress breaks might have originated from the prinitng process as I also seem to see them in the CGC 7.5 graded copy in the HA archives, but clearly absent from all of the other copies which they have in their archives.  My point was more to the seeming vertical stress breaks running down the spine along with the stress breaks around the staple areas, but then I guess some here would simply say that's really probably nothing more than light reflection coming off a HG copy of this book.  Clearly not present on all of the other copies though including the gorgeous high grade CGC 9.4 graded copy from the Black Cat Collection.  To each their own, but that so-called bindery chip at the top left is about as bad as they come from a strict visual POV, unless you are comparing it to the Promise Subby issue where it went through the entire bottom left hand corner of the book.  :p  (shrug)

The grader's notes for the Sensation include back cover creasing, so front cover scans aren't going to tell the whole story. 

On 10/15/2022 at 10:37 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

. You're right, it'd be nice to look at the back cover of the Sensation #39 for comparison's sake, just to get a more thorough picture of both book's covers, but something tells me the back cover creasing on the Church copy is much less pervasive

Ask and ye shall receive as all you lazy boardies have to do is go into the CC archives to find this:  :luhv:  :takeit:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/676934

sen1.1047b.jpg

As always, hard to see without having the actual book in hand, but I might need a magnify glass and light table for this one here when compared to the possible, but now not so sure spine stress lines on the Gangsgters Can't Win 2.  lol

But Dean, for you to say you haven't trashed the Promise books is comical.  But since 95% of your posts are trashing something, I could see how you don't see it that way.  

To be totally fair and more accurate, it should be pointed out that I was not the original initaitor of any post here that had flagged out a Promise Collection book for possibly being overgraded.  I was too lazy to take the time to do this and merely followed up with my own personal opinions on books for what that is worth (obviously not very much lol) which were already highlighted and as you would say, already being "trashed" by other boardies here.  I guess it depends on your viewpoint, but I see it more as "hopeful constructive criticism" since as collectors here, we all want a grading service that is truly independent and unbiased and that can grade as accurately and as consistently as possible.  (thumbsu :wishluck:

As per some of your previous posts here, although I would tend to agree with you and totally understand that this is a business from CGC's point of view, it does not mean that I have to like this process, as noted in this post from an esteemed boardie here:  :frown:

On 7/21/2017 at 4:19 PM, buttock said:

CGC has a massive interest in undergrading books, particularly those with "improvable" defects.  If you owned a business, would you rather have 2800 transactions or 2800 transactions with another 4-500 repeat transactions that use your sister service for even more transactions?   The "point" of CGC varies depending on your perspective.  For a collector it's an objective assessment.  For an employee or owner/investor, the point is to make money.   

Being a long time collector which I also believe that you are :), although I do get it, I guess I still naively wish that CGC would grade less depending upon their current business agenda of the day or what the Corporate bigwigs sitting in their corner penthouse suite might want, and more upon just the book itself as accurately and as consistently as possible.  Yes, even in this rampant and robust CPR grading environment which you so eloquently highlighted for us above when it came to CC's auctioning of the Job Berk Collection, I believe it's more than mere coincidence that that there has been absolutely ZERO upgrades for all of the Promise Collection books so far to date that have come back into the marketplace a second time.  Once again, YES I certainly do get and fully understand why and should probably not say anything at all about it from a strict business POV, but I still don't have to like it from a collector's point of view though. hm  :(

As for your 95% trashing figure, I hope you are not including my Jungle Comics 11 post in your number there because that is a truly beautiful classic dinosaur cover and sadly WAS the one and only single issue in the entire run that I was always on the lookout for and unsuccessfully hoping to acquire one day.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/15/2022 at 7:07 PM, tth2 said:

Also, the 9.6 WDC&S #2 in the same auction is the 9.4 copy that was sold on Heritage back in August 2013.

Man just when I thought I couldn't love this hobby any more!

Hey Tim;

Since you are a good buddy, a word or warning or friendly advice to you here.  :gossip:

You should probably stop posting these kinds of negative thoughts here or some of our overly sensitive CGC sycophants here might just think that you are trying to throw bombs at CGC and Heritage, instead of seeing the fun and humor in it like me:  lol

On 10/13/2022 at 4:32 PM, tth2 said:

Lou Fine tth2 knows this, he's just throwing bombs at CGC and Heritage.

After all, you wouldn't want to be seen and treated like a pariah on these boards here.  :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/15/2022 at 7:07 PM, tth2 said:

Also, the 9.6 WDC&S #2 in the same auction is the 9.4 copy that was sold on Heritage back in August 2013.

Man just when I thought I couldn't love this hobby any more!

Okay, just kidding and on a more serious note here.......................still not quite as lovable as what we are seeing here:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820381

cra2.220.jpg

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/crackajack-funnies-30-file-copy-dell-1940-cgc-nm-96-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/40208-81051.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115#

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Crackajack Funnies #30 File Copy (Dell, 1940) CGC NM+ 9.6 Cream to off-white pages....

Well, at least it's only a two-step grade increment here, as opposed to the 4-step grade increment for the Crackajack Funnies 9 as it went from 9.0 to 9.8 after taking a short rest at the 9.6 pit stop.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

And for those boardies here of which there are many who constantly say that the QES stickers and CVA stickers are nothing more than a joke and a blatant marketing scam to just squeeze more money out from the buyers:  hm

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fauctions_first.asp&id=1457889#detail

RADE9E312021211_144627.jpg

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/crackajack-funnies-39-file-copy-dell-1941-cgc-nm-94-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/40208-81053.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Crackajack Funnies #39 File Copy (Dell, 1941) CGC NM 9.4 Cream to off-white pages....

They just might have some financial value as a potential "green flag" to the lazy buyers who either don't have the time or the technical analytical skills to look for potential upgrades if they are into playing the CPR game.  Especially since every single one of these Crackajack Funnies that had either an inital QES or CVA sticker on them to start with has had a perfect 100% batting average in getting an upgrade, unlike the Promise Collection books which have gone an opposite-wise perfect 0 for 43 and counting so far, if the buyers are either brave or stupid enough to even dare try for a potential upgrade.  (thumbsu  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/11/2022 at 4:25 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

The second photograph is much bolder with slightly weaker black level and more robust color saturation, but a bit off-putting due to the artifact(?) that appears along the right edge of the front cover; I can't imagine any book with a dust shadow of that magnitude receiving an elevated grade.

Yes, after seeing everybody's comments here on the 9.8 graded Crackajack Funnies, I would have to agree with everybody that it has to be an image artifact or light reflection on the right edge, especially since this dust shadow on the back cover was enough to knock it down to a CGC grade of only 9.0 when it was flagged on the Graders Note:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crackajack-funnies-9-file-copy-dell-1939-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-pages/a/830-91039.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B4%2F2%2F5%2F1%2F4251087%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Grader Notes
Front Cover Writing
Top Back Cover Lite Shadow

The dust shadow doesn't appear to be quite as prominent (photo lighting ??) and not flagged in the Graders Notes although it's still clearly there when it was regraded as a CGC 9.8:  hm (shrug)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/western/crackajack-funnies-9-file-copy-dell-1939-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40208-81046.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-OtherAvailable-081514#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F6%2F9%2F0%2F4%2F26904183%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

CGC Grader Notes:
""file copy"" written on logo front cover
small wear bottom of spine breaks color
small wear top of spine breaks color

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/15/2022 at 1:44 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 10/14/2022 at 4:58 PM, eschnit said:

Anyone aware of a high grade copy of this book anywhere on the planet?  I believe the highest graded is an 8.0, then a 7.0.  But my guess is one or more of the forever raw collections out there has a minty copy

Church Tec31

Not sure what the grade would be for the Church copy of 'Tec 31 since it was not listed in Chuck's Mile High catalog as it was long gone by then, but quite sure that it would be right up there with the rest of his HG Church DC's.  hm

Let's not forget about the Allentown copy of 'Tec 31 which was graded as only a VF copy by the tough as nails grader (i.e. Jim Payette himself) at the time.  Same VF grade which he gave to the Allentown copy of 'Tec 38 which was subsequently certified as a CGC 9.4 NM copy:  :luhv:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-38-allentown-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-nm-94-off-white-pages/a/7007-91137.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B4%2F6%2F7%2F6%2F4676269%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/16/2022 at 5:31 PM, mstrange said:

Unfortunately to all those who are still waiting for this collection to be released, you are confusing the Vancouver pedigree which was released back in 2003 with the Chinatown pedigree which is still pretty much all entirely in the hands of the current owner/dealer:  :gossip:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/8508/

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/16/2022 at 5:31 PM, mstrange said:

Are the Vancouver's Chinatown's finally being released to Auction???

On 10/16/2022 at 8:05 PM, mstrange said:

Yes you are correct.  Confused those with the Chinatown Collection. (shrug)

Well, like they say......................patience is a virtue and all good things come to those who are patient.  (thumbsu  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Unlike what I said here on the boards over 15 years ago that it's going to be a matter of waiting long decades back then for this pedigree collection to come to market, I now strongly believe that it's going to be only a matter of waiting mere years at this point for it to come to market.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

Received an email from Heritage and decided to toss in a bid on this book here, but still no dice even at this price point with another 23 days to go: :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/master-comics-27-fawcett-publications-1942-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40212-82093.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-OtherAvailable-081514

lf?set=path%5B2%2F6%2F9%2F5%2F8%2F26958209%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Definitely a nice copy at 3rd highest graded and the HTF "V For Victory" classic cover book that certainly doesn't come to market very often with only a total of 15 Universal copies graded and slabbed to date so far.  Will be interesting to see where a book like this ends up by the time it's all said and done, especially since the only copies to come to market in the past several years have either been low grade or raw copies. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/16/2022 at 3:51 PM, lou_fine said:

And for those boardies here of which there are many who constantly say that the QES stickers and CVA stickers are nothing more than a joke and a blatant marketing scam to just squeeze more money out from the buyers:  hm

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fauctions_first.asp&id=1457889#detail

RADE9E312021211_144627.jpg

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/crackajack-funnies-39-file-copy-dell-1941-cgc-nm-94-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/40208-81053.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Crackajack Funnies #39 File Copy (Dell, 1941) CGC NM 9.4 Cream to off-white pages....

They just might have some financial value as a potential "green flag" to the lazy buyers who either don't have the time or the technical analytical skills to look for potential upgrades if they are into playing the CPR game.  Especially since every single one of these Crackajack Funnies that had either an inital QES or CVA sticker on them to start with has had a perfect 100% batting average in getting an upgrade, unlike the Promise Collection books which have gone an opposite-wise perfect 0 for 43 and counting so far, if the buyers are either brave or stupid enough to even dare try for a potential upgrade.  (thumbsu  :devil:

The C/OW page designation is the problem with that book. I thought that page quality was supposed to be part of the criteria for the CVA sticker. I've submitted some raw books that ended up with a C/OW designation, but I wouldn't buy a slabbed book with C/OW pages.

On 10/19/2022 at 10:51 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

The C/OW page designation is the problem with that book. I thought that page quality was supposed to be part of the criteria for the CVA sticker. I've submitted some raw books that ended up with a C/OW designation, but I wouldn't buy a slabbed book with C/OW pages.

Had to go and check to confirm my initial thinking that CVA and QES has absolutely nothing do do with PQ, as the awarding of the sticker is all relative to the CGC grade itself:  :gossip:

What does “Exceptional” mean to CVA?

"Exceptional" is defined as a comic book that possesses outstanding eye appeal and superior structure within the numerical grade assigned by CGC.  CVA awards its "Exceptional" sticker only to those comic books that display these characteristics. 

The CVA holographic tamper evident stickers awarded by CVA are as follows:

Silver CVA Sticker - Exceptional example for the grade
CVA-sticker-silver

Gold CVA Sticker - Extraordinarily Exceptional example for the grade
Gold stickers will rarely be awarded.
CVA-sticker-gold

No sticker will be affixed to the holder if the CGC Graded comic book does not possess eye appeal and superior structure that CVA considers to be outstanding for the grade assigned by CGC 

Wow, learn something new everyday as I never even knew there was such a thing as a Gold and Silver CVA sticker as I thiought there was only the one standard CVA sticker.  Especially since I believe that I have yet to see a Gold CVA sticker, but then again, I guess I've never paid that close attention to them either if I do see one on a slabbed book.  (shrug)

Either way, it would appear that the CVA sticker is just a generic sticker by itself with no further information, whereas the QES sticker is much more specific as it identifies the actual qualities for the book receivng the sticker.  In this sense, the QES sticker should in theory actually be more useful since it states the specific reasons for the awarding of the sticker, whether it be for color strike and the specific colors itself, edge quality, spine quality, staple placement, etc.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

Just took a look at the Harlan Ellison Auction scheduled to end today and it appears that this is the "top" comic book by a long shot so far:  :popcorn:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/police-comics-1-quality-1941-cgc-vg-40-white-pages/a/7335-88095.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F6%2F7%2F7%2F0%2F26770544%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Probably going to be another strong finish and result for this once relatively underappreciated and undervalued key #1 GA first appearance book, although it's probably not going to be as strong (from a relative POV) to the CGC 2.5 graded copy that sold for $11,400 at the end of December last year.  Then again, that copy did appear far nicer than its assigned CGC grade from a strict visual point of view.  (thumbsu

On 10/21/2022 at 12:04 PM, ThothAmon said:

Head scratcher and it still has time left. Not that I’m complaining. 

2AB5746B-9383-4EAC-AA66-E7747651BA6B.png

Well, with the "SN" marking on there, this means that this copy is from the Cookville pedigree collection, although I believe that books from this particular pedigree didn't used to really carry that much of a premium in the old days due to its relatively low grades.  hm  (shrug)

On 10/21/2022 at 12:04 PM, ThothAmon said:

Head scratcher and it still has time left. Not that I’m complaining. 

On 10/21/2022 at 12:38 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, with the "SN" marking on there, this means that this copy is from the Cookville pedigree collection, although I believe that books from this particular pedigree didn't used to really carry that much of a premium in the old days due to its relatively low grades.  hm  (shrug)

Well, I guess we must have jinxed it as it didn't get another singe bid and that was the final price (i.e. $1,860 with the 20% BP juice) that it got in the end. :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/21/2022 at 8:16 AM, lou_fine said:

Probably going to be another strong finish and result for this once relatively underappreciated and undervalued key #1 GA first appearance book, although it's probably not going to be as strong (from a relative POV) to the CGC 2.5 graded copy that sold for $11,400 at the end of December last year.

Unlike the World's Finest with no further bids, not so much for the case with this Police Comics 1 since it looks like it must have gotten some action at the end as it moved up from $10,500 or $12,600 with the BP to a final price of $18K:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/police-comics-1-quality-1941-cgc-vg-40-white-pages/a/7335-88095.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|9

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 (Quality, 1941) CGC VG 4.0 White pages....

Not too bad of a result and within range of what I had been expecting even though I thought it might have had a chance at hitting the $20K mark, considering that the CGC 2.5 graded copy had sold for $11.4K last year.  (thumbsu

On 10/21/2022 at 8:16 AM, lou_fine said:

Just took a look at the Harlan Ellison Auction scheduled to end today and it appears that this is the "top" comic book by a long shot so far:  :popcorn:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/police-comics-1-quality-1941-cgc-vg-40-white-pages/a/7335-88095.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F6%2F7%2F7%2F0%2F26770544%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Probably going to be another strong finish and result for this once relatively underappreciated and undervalued key #1 GA first appearance book, although it's probably not going to be as strong (from a relative POV) to the CGC 2.5 graded copy that sold for $11,400 at the end of December last year.  Then again, that copy did appear far nicer than its assigned CGC grade from a strict visual point of view.  (thumbsu

Judging from the prices realized in the auction, the GA market remains on fire, even for Fawcetts.

On 10/21/2022 at 1:45 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Judging from the prices realized in the auction, the GA market remains on fire, even for Fawcetts.

Well, it would appear so as I went in earlier this morning to place another bid on this book here and it just automatically got bumped up:  :mad:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/master-comics-27-fawcett-publications-1942-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40212-82093.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Master Comics #27 (Fawcett Publications, 1942) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white pages....

Now already at $6,300 with the BP juice in there and still another 20+ days to go in this second phase of the Harlan Ellison Auction, which makes me think that this HTF classic cover Fawcett book is going to hit 5-figures by the time it's all said and done. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap: 

Edited by lou_fine