• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2022 at 11:13 PM, Professor K said:

That is a lot of money for that book. Yes it's the single highest and high grade, even upper mid grades, are hardly ever up for auction but it's not really a rare book. This seems like a perfect time to ask: Am I the only one who thinks this book should not be such a big deal? Joker origin 15 years after his 1st app. And it's not even such a great origin. But it sells for more than pretty much every post Batman 1 issue there is. Even more than the early Batmans and in the same ballpark as Tec's 40,58, 66,69, 140.

This book should be a big deal. It’s the first time we get a Joker origin story, but not only that, it provided Alan Moore with the framework for the origin story he gave Joker in The Killing Joke. So much is only remembered or positioned in relation to TKJ. So the chances are, without TKJ, this story would've probably faded into history. Then again, without TKJ, the whole mysterious-origin thing of the Joker may never have come into being. 

Just my 2c.

On 11/17/2022 at 11:43 PM, Terry JSA said:

This book should be a big deal. It’s the first time we get a Joker origin story, but not only that, it provided Alan Moore with the framework for the origin story he gave Joker in The Killing Joke. So much is only remembered or positioned in relation to TKJ. So the chances are, without TKJ, this story would've probably faded into history. Then again, without TKJ, the whole mysterious-origin thing of the Joker may never have come into being. 

Just my 2c.

Yeah that's a good answer. I suppose it's thee answer. Thanks for that. I didn't know that about Killing Joke. That may be the main reason but it to me personally it's still not enough to make it soooo darned expensive. I'm just thinking most major popular characters have an origin issue and most aren't in their 1st appearance issue. It always adds to the value a bit but nothing near Mr. Joker's origin. Even Tec 33 doesn't get that much steam. Not complaining or trying to start any unpleasantness, it just always seemed kind of over-exalted to me. 

On 11/18/2022 at 2:09 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Tec 168 is, after 140, probably the issue with most graded copies ( by far ) out of the entire #27-#200 GA run

That don't make me feel any better :bigsmile:

On 11/17/2022 at 11:12 PM, szav said:

Someone do a well check on Lou please...its been six hours since his last post in this thread, and since the auction ended, and we haven't yet seen a 1000+ word write up on this one.  I'm worried.

image.png.5b3a304bbd8b8ca7b4eb29bcdc8909ed.png

I was watching that one crazy stuff :Rocket:

On 11/17/2022 at 10:12 PM, szav said:

Someone do a well check on Lou please...its been six hours since his last post in this thread, and since the auction ended, and we haven't yet seen a 1000+ word write up on this one.  I'm worried.

Hey @lou_fine, it’s been 14 hrs since your last post. Are you back in the penalty box?:baiting:

On 11/18/2022 at 2:28 AM, szav said:
On 11/18/2022 at 2:23 AM, Gotham Kid said:

image.thumb.png.9331cc87d620b4d586558775914bcd4d.png

Several super strong GA prices so far too on the CoC 19 9.2 at 72k, and the CSS 22 8.5 at 52k, spirit 22 9.6 57k…

Some continued insanity on highest graded SA books too.

I just don't understand it.  I thought our hobby was required to crash in line with crypto and the cards market. 

On 11/18/2022 at 6:32 AM, tth2 said:

To me, it's more about how awesome our hobby has been over the decades.  At one point, an "expensive" comic would only pay for some trivial frippery.  Then a few would cover the cost of a car.  Then just one would cover the cost of a very nice car.  Now, one could cover the cost of a very nice home.

For those of us who started collecting comics because we just loved the things, it has developed into an amazing economic windfall.

I love reminding my siblings, who don't have a collecting bone between them, about this! :grin: 

Indeed it has. I NEVER would have thought this when I started collecting. I just enjoyed (and still do) the books and seeking them out in the “thrill of the hunt”. Vindication I guess to those who thought I was a fool.

I may not have the best collection, highest graded or expensive but at this point I have amassed most of what I really wanted.

The best part is, for the most part, I have rarely had to dig into my own pocket. My collection has been pretty much self funded. And I was fortunate to start before they were not worth very much.

On 11/18/2022 at 11:10 AM, Treco said:

If I had known someone would shell out 90k, I would have taken the plunge this past summer. Maybe minus a limb or two...but I digress.

3CADDDC6-0F69-498C-BC16-CB3EEDB85FC1.jpeg

Is that one considered in Fantastic 3 / Suspense 3 territory now?

On 11/17/2022 at 8:12 PM, szav said:

On 11/18/2022 at 4:52 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Hey @lou_fine, it’s been 14 hrs since your last post. Are you back in the penalty box?:baiting:

Hey, I guess it's true like the old saying goes.................absence makes the heart grow fonder and I am happy to hear that my absence is grabbing at your heartstrings, although I am sure that others here are jumping for joy.  lol

Actually, it's kind of sad how many boardies don't post here anymore because I still remember the good old days not too long ago when these auctions would generate a ton of posts in an almost play by play action like atmosphere.  Now, pretty much nada and just a few boardies commenting on the results rather sporadically at best.  :(

As for the mid-grade Punch 12 selling for $90K, that's definitely an absolutely  stunner of a price and further confirmation of how strong the marketplace still is for these classic cover books.  Also a sign of how collectors tastes and opinions change over time, as I still remember being the only one to list Punch 12 or 'Tec 31 as part of my Top 5 covers for the survey that CBM (i.e. Comic Book Marketplace mag) ran back in the mid-90's.  :whatthe:   And yet now, they are pretty much at the top of most collectors list according to the survey that was run by Heritage (or was it their Intelligent Collector magazine) a few years ago.  :applause:

Speaking of 'Tec 31 with the all-time classic Batman cover, also a rather stunning result here with this CGC 1.5 graded copy selling for $66K:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-31-dc-1939-cgc-fr-gd-15-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7283-93038.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #31 (DC, 1939) CGC FR/GD 1.5 Off-white to white pages....

Definitely a very strong price at pretty much double what an equivalent CGC 1.5 graded copy had sold for back in March of 2020.  Heck, I thought these were stunning prices when CC were able to fetched into the mid-$20K's for their beater entry level 1.0 graded copies before they then managed to moved them up into the mid-$40K's price point when the whole pre-Robin 'Tec craze started about 5 years ago.  (thumbsu  

Not being the type or collector that chases after or having the wallet to be a single highest copy type of collector which some are here, it's certainly nice to see when it's really more about the underlying book itself, as opposed to just being the graded label in the top left hand corner of the slab.  With both of these books being perfect examples, especially this CGC 1.5 'Tec 31 being able to command such a high price given that there are supposedly 39 higher graded copies on top of this one.  :applause:

How was this @szav, did I get close to your 1,000 words with this post here?  lol

On 11/18/2022 at 10:29 AM, lou_fine said:

unch 12 or 'Tec 31 as part of my Top 5 covers for the survey that CBM (i.e. Comic Book Marketplace mag) ran back in the mid-90's.  :whatthe:   And yet now, they are pretty much at the top of most collectors list according to the survey that was run by Heritage (or was it their Intelligent Collector magazine) a few years ago.  :applause:

You were ahead of your time. This is the only flier I have left of an old sale I had and I wish I hadn’t done it

03A11C1D-4F28-4AC9-BE03-94489BA77098.jpeg

On 11/17/2022 at 10:35 AM, Dark Knight said:
On 11/17/2022 at 10:30 AM, Gotham Kid said:

same can't be said for Hulk 181 9.8 that again closed at 90K lol

It'll be down to $50k soon lol

Well, if you are thinking about Hulk 181, then how about the continuing downward trend for CGC 9.8 graded copies of TMNT 1:  :frown:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7283-91062.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Modern Age (1980-Present):Alternative/Underground, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (Mirage Studios, 1984) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

With this copy being able to fetch only $156K and getting closer to @Gotham Kid's purchase target purchase price point of cover price.  lol  :takeit:

Seriously though, still a very strong price as compared to the mid to upper $30K's from a few years ago that any long term collector should be happy with even though it's a rather sizable drop from the quarter million mark that CC was able to get last year and the near $200K price points that Heritage was able to get earlier this year.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/18/2022 at 9:32 AM, tth2 said:

To me, it's more about how awesome our hobby has been over the decades.  At one point, an "expensive" comic would only pay for some trivial frippery.  Then a few would cover the cost of a car.  Then just one would cover the cost of a very nice car.  Now, one could cover the cost of a very nice home.

For those of us who started collecting comics because we just loved the things, it has developed into an amazing economic windfall.

I love reminding my siblings, who don't have a collecting bone between them, about this! :grin: 

BUT THE INSURANCE PREMIUMS!

On 11/17/2022 at 8:12 PM, szav said:

image.png.5b3a304bbd8b8ca7b4eb29bcdc8909ed.png

Obviously, neither Bill Thrilling, me or anyone else knew what this was back in the late 1970's...

billthailingcatalog9.jpg

On 11/18/2022 at 4:02 AM, Professor K said:

Yeah that's a good answer. I suppose it's thee answer. Thanks for that. I didn't know that about Killing Joke. That may be the main reason but it to me personally it's still not enough to make it soooo darned expensive.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I like to look at TEC #168 as a poor man’s Batman #1. Most people can’t afford a Bat #1, so why not go for the next best thing? His origin.