• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2023 at 10:28 AM, Aman619 said:
On 1/15/2023 at 9:48 AM, adamstrange said:

Highest Graded (tied) + Catwoman.

She's not at Joker-level of fan appreciation but she has her supporters.

yes.  Ive just finally gone through Overstreet title by title and book by book and ALL keys and HOT books have taken huge jumps over last year.  30, 50 and 100% even on 5 figure books.

Huh, so there IS somebody besides Lou_Fine who still pays attention to Overstreet! :baiting:

A few thoughts on some books I followed during the auction.  World’s Finest 67 CGC 8.5 went for over $3k. Seems a solid price for a 1950s WF. It is the highest graded copy so I suppose even a 7.0 is worth far less. Curious if better copies remain ungraded. My copy isn’t it. 

Couldn’t bring myself to bid on the kinda Fugly Tec 2 CGC 1.8 $8300 although finding another for under $10k might be impossible.

Not GA but I Really loved the Pussycat and was hoping to get a deal. At $5k hammer not so much.   

Got one early silver to add to my collection Tec 244. 

B1CD0497-A848-41EB-91A5-8B92366F0C63.jpeg

00EE583A-295F-453D-93C5-A8EEEBE65BB7.jpeg

2B4C466C-037A-4A61-A8DF-16982B48B5AC.jpeg

On 1/15/2023 at 12:41 AM, tth2 said:

Huh, so there IS somebody besides Lou_Fine who still pays attention to Overstreet! :baiting:

I know right!?   The guide at this point is merely interesting (as a spectator sport if you will) for any comic book of great value and interest to see where Bob stands versus ACTUAL values.  Or if he took a big leap upward finally like this year. Clearly not an accurate pricing tool for those books whose current sales data can be obtained by tracking auctions and using GPA.  Of course I get that.  But of the millions of books listed, a great majority of his prices are accurate enough to track the values of what you have for all the 100s of thousands of other less important and expensive stuff -- unslabbed.  You'd be surprised how closely it matches market prices after Guide price is recalculated using my various multipliers and other factors built into my database.  so there!

and gimme a break.  Ive had it for 7 months and am finally getting past the top 100 lists!

On 1/14/2023 at 4:27 PM, batman_fan said:

I really wanted this one but got killed during the live bidding.  Went way higher than I expected.

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 5.26.09 PM.png

On 1/14/2023 at 5:30 PM, buttock said:

This one surprised me.  Any idea why it went so high?

In general, because virtually all DC's from the early 50's time period are deemed to be tough to find in grade, although this one here is certainly stretching it a bit all the way to January of '54.  (shrug)

More likely due to the fact that this is one of three highest graded copies to date and we all know what gets the CGC label chasers all in a frenzy to open up their pockets nice and wide.  :banana:  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/14/2023 at 5:43 PM, tth2 said:

I thought the pulps did extremely well.  I assume this is in anticipation of slabbing.

On 1/14/2023 at 5:43 PM, buttock said:

The anticipation of slabbing has driven the prices of pulps up more than actual slabbing will.  

Isn't it always about the anticipation and so much more than the actual real thing?  hm

Just take a look at movie or TV related hyped comic books when all of the action takes place with the pre-hyped announcements and by the time they actually do hit the screens, they are usually already past their peak and on their way back down.  (shrug)

From an equity investment point of view, take a look at all of the weed stocks north of the border that absolutely shot to the moon in anticipation of legalization.  Once legalization came into place though and those dreams were all washed away with real world indicators, they all dropped by some 95% if they even managed to survive the resulting carnage.  :tonofbricks:

On 1/15/2023 at 2:14 PM, lou_fine said:

Isn't it always about the anticipation and so much more than the actual real thing?  hm

Just take a look at movie or TV related hyped comic books when all of the action takes place with the pre-hyped announcements and by the time they actually do hit the screens, they are usually already past their peak and on their way back down.  (shrug)

From an equity investment point of view, take a look at all of the weed stocks north of the border that absolutely shot to the moon in anticipation of legalization.  Once legalization came into place though and those dreams were all washed away with real world indicators, they all dropped by some 95% if they even managed to survive the resulting carnage.  :tonofbricks:

So weird how that works, as soon as the movie or show is released people stop wanting it. Human nature I suppose. Happens every time with every one. Especially a few years back. At this point a lot of these franchises have so many movies and shows coming out that it doesn't really effect much like it did a few years back. 

On 1/14/2023 at 9:41 PM, tth2 said:

Hey, come on now....................weren't you the guy who paid something like $45,600 for your own personal copy of the guide here: lol :baiting:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/books/overstreet-comic-book-price-guide-1-first-printing-overstreet-publications-1970-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7246-94188.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Books:Overstreet, Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide #1 First Printing (Overstreet Publications, 1970) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/14/2023 at 6:28 PM, Aman619 said:

Ive just finally gone through Overstreet title by title and book by book and ALL keys and HOT books have taken huge jumps drops over last year.  30, 50 and 100% even on 5 figure books.

Well, I guess you haven't gotten around to the keys and hot books from last year when it comes to the BA and CA, so I fixed that for you above.  (thumbsu

On 1/14/2023 at 6:28 PM, Aman619 said:

But I wonder if he picked a bad year if he was moved to these huge % jumps based on 2021022 pandemic sales results that may go backwards.  Of course thats a joke right? As if.

Never say never and it would appear that he certainly did pick a bad year when it came to the BA and CA books as a lot of them have fizzled out like a rocket falling from orbit.  :Rocket:

On 1/15/2023 at 12:46 PM, Aman619 said:

I haven't seen any BA and CA drops in the guide yet.  or did you mean in actual market sales?  Have prices dropped? I wish some one here would post gleefully about it a little!  : )

Referring to actual market sales as many of these BA and CA keys are now not only selling at huge percentage discounts to where that were last year, but also at a noticeable percentage discount to the new condition guide valuations after Overstreet had jacked them up so much in this year's edition of the guide. hm

Just take a look at red hot books from the past few years like the once skyrocketing BA/CA big boys like TOD 10, WWBN 32, and even GSXM 1, before we get even to a slew of the lesser keys like early Defenders Marvel Feature's, Jungle Action 5, etc..  :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/15/2023 at 12:00 PM, lou_fine said:

In general, because virtually all DC's from the early 50's time period are deemed to be tough to find in grade, although this one here is certainly stretching it a bit all the way to January of '54.  (shrug)

More likely due to the fact that this is one of three highest graded copies to date and we all know what gets the CGC label chasers all in a frenzy to open up their pockets nice and wide.  :banana:  :whee:

Why bother with the name calling and pejorative comments?  I'm honestly curious. 

On 1/15/2023 at 4:12 PM, lou_fine said:

Referring to actual market sales as many of these BA and CA keys are now not only selling at huge percentage discounts to where that were last year, but also at a noticeable percentage discount to the new condition guide valuations after Overstreet had jacked them up so much in this year's edition of the guide. hm

Just take a look at red hot books from the past few years like the once skyrocketing BA/CA big boys like TOD 10, WWBN 32, and even GSXM 1, before we get even to a slew of the lesser keys like early Defenders Marvel Feature's, Jungle Action 5, etc..  :frown:

even with the increases to these books I still think in nearly all cases that he’s behind the market as usual. That’s how far behind he was!
      Hulk 181 Doubled to 10K in 9.2.    180 went up to 3000.  

Just looked at GPA.  180 in 9.2. sold this month for 2650, last year 3500.    #181 is 9600 in Jan 2023 down from 12500.  So Bob’s caught with his pants slightly below his cheeks, but not ridiculously obscene. AND his price guide is relevant at last!

Edited by Aman619

On 1/15/2023 at 1:42 PM, buttock said:

Why bother with the name calling and pejorative comments?  I'm honestly curious. 

@bottock and @lou_fine I may be stepping out of line here, but Lou hasn’t responded, perhaps due to the cold dark place on the globe in which he resides. Of course, lou is entitled to his own meanings, but as this has been brought up before, I’d like to put some ideas to screen. Lou is a classic collector; he loves his funny books. He  presents knowledge of price histories and contributes to a number of topics on the boards. You, Mr. buttock are likewise held in high regard in this space. Lou also fulfills another function, that of Court Jester. The jester was the one person at the king’s court that the king should not have killed. First, the king would appear petty, or perhaps worse, wrong. Half the court might be thinking that a good beheading is just the ticket, but the other half might see that the king is getting good advice no matter how pointed. After all, if taxes are too high, the peasants could starve, and then how could an army be raised, when those pesky Vikings came calling. Lou can be a bit nettlesome and like all of us hammer on points that are heartfelt. What do you think? Not my place? Fair point. 

On 1/16/2023 at 12:14 AM, ageofsilver said:

@bottock and @lou_fine I may be stepping out of line here, but Lou hasn’t responded, perhaps due to the cold dark place on the globe in which he resides. Of course, lou is entitled to his own meanings, but as this has been brought up before, I’d like to put some ideas to screen. Lou is a classic collector; he loves his funny books. He  presents knowledge of price histories and contributes to a number of topics on the boards. You, Mr. buttock are likewise held in high regard in this space. Lou also fulfills another function, that of Court Jester. The jester was the one person at the king’s court that the king should not have killed. First, the king would appear petty, or perhaps worse, wrong. Half the court might be thinking that a good beheading is just the ticket, but the other half might see that the king is getting good advice no matter how pointed. After all, if taxes are too high, the peasants could starve, and then how could an army be raised, when those pesky Vikings came calling. Lou can be a bit nettlesome and like all of us hammer on points that are heartfelt. What do you think? Not my place? Fair point. 

@lou_finewhistles while he walks, and for that some would come after him with long knives

Lou just thinks what he collects is cool, and what you collect sucks. Also, anyone that collects high-grade bronze or silver age is nothing more than a label-chasing speculator. In an odd twist, almost all of Lou's posts are about what comics sell for, more reflective of a speculator than a true collector.

Edited by drbanner

On 1/15/2023 at 1:42 PM, buttock said:

Well, the answer is in there somewhere, namely tough to find in grade and potential buyers are willing to step up to the plate when books in grade like these do come into the public marketplace.  hm

Seems a bit too dry and boring, and it's always good to try to frame it with a touch of humor here and there since we are talking about the funny books here.  My bad though if I might phrase it incorrectly and it comes across the wrong way, especially since collecting is really a case of to each their own, as long as we are all here having a good time and enjoying it while we are collecting what we all individually love.  (thumbsu