• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2023 at 2:20 PM, Professor K said:

The 9.2 Tos 39 just took a hit at 108k. Another just sold for 168 and prior to that 144 in 2021. 

Yeah, the Batman 1 in 1.8 also seemingly took a hit, selling today for $126K compared to $180K in April 2022 (unless that 180K was out there).  Lucky buyer i think.  Oh well.  Some of the GA books up this point  (3:25pm EST) have also receded a bit (or went for less than expected if no recent sales).  But others still chugging along, like that Eagle #1 in 9.6, which sold (the same book, actually) for a bit more than just this past November.  Overall, is it same old same old?  Hopefully someone provides an overview on the whole session!    

Edited by Pantodude

On 1/12/2023 at 4:04 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Right now all focus is on GA just a cycle the focus on SA will come back once the prices in GA look very high and there seems to be deals to be had in the SA. It is the same cycle I have seen time after time. GA will cool off just as the SA did not long ago.

I don't believe any AF15 in 9.0 has sold near 810k maybe I am wrong. Back in 2019 9.2 went for less than 600k. And as mentioned the SA right now is cold maybe ice cold but at some point that will change.

As I said, there were three sales of 9.0 AF 15s at $800K or above in the last six months, including a beautifully centered and registered 9.0 copy at a little over $1 million. I appreciate your sentiment and completely agree that all things comics are cyclical, but for some reason this particular 9.2 sale seems awfully low and I guarantee the consignor is not particularly happy right now.

On 1/10/2023 at 7:19 AM, Gotham Kid said:

surprisingly low at the moment, but it aint over till the fat auctioneer sings

image.thumb.png.3e8fe1fd0c08ec090b767e596ffbc4cd.png

On 1/11/2023 at 12:06 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, even though the auction lady hasn't got off her big fat duff to sing yet, it looks like this copy of Bat 1 took a $100K bounce up to $280K now.  (thumbsu

On 1/12/2023 at 10:59 AM, Gotham Kid said:

image.thumb.png.f9f2c9e75788fd61460640e1021c5c04.png

Well, I guess I would have to say that the auction lady finally woke up from her deep snooze and got off her big fat duff to sing loud and clear.  :applause:

On 1/12/2023 at 3:27 PM, MrBedrock said:

As I said, there were three sales of 9.0 AF 15s at $800K or above in the last six months, including a beautifully centered and registered 9.0 copy at a little over $1 million. I appreciate your sentiment and completely agree that all things comics are cyclical, but for some reason this particular 9.2 sale seems awfully low and I guarantee the consignor is not particularly happy right now.

Not sure how this copy compared to the 9.0s but I thought it looked pretty nice.

On 1/12/2023 at 3:27 PM, MrBedrock said:

6.5s averaged $141K with a high of $180K last year.  The 6.5 in this auction didn't break $100k.  

On 1/12/2023 at 4:50 PM, buttock said:

6.5s averaged $141K with a high of $180K last year.  The 6.5 in this auction didn't break $100k.  

:eek: The sky is falling! We are all doomed! :eek:

On 1/12/2023 at 3:57 PM, MrBedrock said:

:eek: The sky is falling! We are all doomed! :eek:

Nah, there's still dummies like me willing to overpay for stuff.  

But it's in line with everything SA.  Prices went nuts in 2021 through the middle of 2022 and then settled back down to reality.  Still above where they started, but definitely down from the highs.  

On 1/12/2023 at 10:59 AM, MrBedrock said:

The 9.2 AF 15 price is a little unsettling.

Well, from a percentage POV, nowhere near as unsettling as the result for this CGC 9.8 highest graded copy of Savage Tales 1:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/magazines/adventure/savage-tales-1-marvel-1971-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7338-92132.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115#

Magazines:Adventure, Savage Tales #1 (Marvel, 1971) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Sold for only $15,600 or a near 60% drop off from the $37,200 which it was able to fetched in a Heritage auction back in November of 2021.  :tonofbricks:

Then again, maybe a lot of these record breaking sales from the pandemic time period are really more of an outlier than anything else.  hm  (shrug)

On 1/12/2023 at 3:32 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Cream to off-white pages SA collectors shy away from any cream type of paper quality to many available with better quality hence the 96k final price. 6.5's go for about 110k to 120k this was an exception. SA is not the GA you can pick and chose your paper quality a lot more. And collectors know it. People don't mind cream on DC SA books since they are scarcer in general.

That high that happened was out of the norm I had never seen such an increase so fast in 40 years it is normal there is a decrease. But right now SA is dead cold it is just a cycle but personally prefer slower steady growth over insanity that occurred.

That was a bad bad time to be a buyer but a great time to be a seller. I think we are at rock bottom right now on key SA keys. When will it turn around maybe in the late Spring when movies start coming out and during the Summer of 2023.

No.  In June of last year a non-chipped 6.5 with "cream to off white" on the label sold for $180k.

Prices on the book are just down right now. That's it.  

-J.

On 1/12/2023 at 4:19 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

That was during the hype I meant after the hype no 6.5 sold for less than 100k except this one today.

The high was last March at 225, then 180, then 110, now 95 or whatever.  

It's just a book that's trending down from a peak.   Nothing more.  Nothing less.  Has it over corrected ? Yes.  But that's all it is.  There's no one "reason".  It's just going for less now and hopefully will find a floor soon.  

-J.