• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2023 at 1:18 PM, buttock said:

The Bethlehem is a 9.0 on HA in 2011, was that upgraded?  Do you recall if there was an Overstreet copy?  Maybe a Slobodian?  I can't think of much else. 

Around 1975, I purchased most of Slobodian's DC collection including the Showcase comics.  Showcase #4 was at best a 7.0.  I no longer have it since I sold it years ago.   

On 12/23/2023 at 12:31 AM, adamstrange said:
On 12/22/2023 at 11:40 PM, tth2 said:
On 12/22/2023 at 9:35 AM, MrBedrock said:

That Brave and the Bold recently changed hands for about $1mil.

:tonofbricks:

Luckily, your hands remain unsoiled by all that filthy lucre.

But I like filthy lucre! 

ScroogeSwimming.gif.54b8987ae9be1d91c46b39b109b806f6.gif

On 12/22/2023 at 9:50 PM, detective35 said:

I handled most of the Slobodian DC‘s and entire run of showcase was there minus the flash issues and the 9 & 10.

They were sold a couple of years prior to me handling many of the DC’s.

You may have handled some of the DC Slobodian books that I sold.  I bought the DC collection  directly from Calvin Slobodian in 1976 through an ad that he placed in The Buyer's Guide (I may still have copies of my correspondence with Calvin).  I still have the Action Comics, Superman, Superboy and World's Finest books but I sold the rest a few years after acquiring them.  As I recall, for the Showcase books, Calvin only sold me the Flash and Tommy Tomorrow titles.  Mr. Slobodian, at the time, wanted to keep the Jack Kirby Challengers of the Unknown and the Gil Kane Green Lantern books.  Anyway, it is great learning more about this amazing collection.  I should have kept the Showcase #4 :-(

Thanks.

On 12/23/2023 at 11:54 AM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

You may have handled some of the DC Slobodian books that I sold.  I bought the DC collection  directly from Calvin Slobodian in 1976 through an ad that he placed in The Buyer's Guide (I may still have copies of my correspondence with Calvin).  I still have the Action Comics, Superman, Superboy and World's Finest books but I sold the rest a few years after acquiring them.  As I recall, for the Showcase books, Calvin only sold me the Flash and Tommy Tomorrow titles.  Mr. Slobodian, at the time, wanted to keep the Jack Kirby Challengers of the Unknown and the Gil Kane Green Lantern books.  Anyway, it is great learning more about this amazing collection.  I should have kept the Showcase #4 :-(

Thanks.

I have absolutely no doubt you bought what you bought, but don't tell me in a somewhat condescending tone (with no knowledge for what that went down in our deals) that I didn't handle a couple of thousand of his DC's which i bought directly from Calvin when I visited him multiple times as he lived only three hours away from me in Rivers, Manitoba   If you want, give him a call and verify.  I Either bought or moved these books for him in the 1990s..

I do know the person that bought some of Calvin's early DC's (Ron F)  and if that's you,  I'm saying hello because we've talked about this Slobodan collection before over the phone).

I only bought and sold, or middle man books directly from Calvin,    I sold a number of the sci-fi books to Bob Casalli, Mic Rabin , Allan Bartholomew, and many others

The runs I got that were complete or near complete runs of house of mystery and secrets, mystery in space, tales of the unexpected, green lantern, Hawkman,   The brave and bold (A friend of mine bought the one to 27 ) minus the 28,29 and 30, the showcase run minus the flashes,  and the nine and the 10,and  the Tommy's, and a few other sci-fi runs, Along with the rip hunter and other offshoot titles  from the showcase and the brave and the bold runs, and a number of other mini runs.

You are right in Superman, action, Batman detective, and flash up to about 115 were not  there.

The early flashes were gone, but I got the 123 and most of them after that and multiple other DC runs.

Also got a few of the marvel  runs, but the big ones had sold before I got in there.  he did have the daredevil, and X-Men runs left and most of the strange tales.

Calvin had already sold most of his Timely's  to John Verzyl, and through  the years had sold some of miscellaneous books to his friend Ferd and other collectors.

He had some golden age DC books that he had just acquired,  and runs of some of the qualities and foxes in fwhich had a number of Larson copies in them. I had bought the hit one to 17 and traded back to him this run, keeping the what we suspected was the 11 Larson and replacing it with the cosmic Aeroplane.  Borock at that time would not verify it as the Larson, even though when you held it up to a light, it had Larson on it that had been erased which Calvin was notorious for.  I think Richard Evans has that book now.

We are both in 100% agreement with how nice the books were right off the newsstand (right up there with the white mountains ) and they should've been pedigreed although Borock refused to pedigree them as Calvin had sent him in a group of books and replaced one that he must've sold with a colour touched issue, and this set off Steve and he refused to call his collection a pedigree under any circumstance.

Dwight Fuhro

Edited by detective35

On 12/23/2023 at 11:40 AM, detective35 said:

I have absolutely no doubt you bought what you bought, but don't tell me in a somewhat condescending tone (with no knowledge for what that went down in our deals) that I didn't handle a couple of thousand of his DC's which i bought directly from Calvin when I visited him multiple times as he lived only three hours away from me in Rivers, Manitoba   If you want, give him a call and verify.  I Either bought or moved these books for him in the 1990s..

I do know the person that bought some of Calvin's early DC's (Ron F)  and if that's you,  I'm saying hello because we've talked about this Slobodan collection before over the phone).

I only bought and sold, or middle man books directly from Calvin,    I sold a number of the sci-fi books to Bob Casalli, Mic Rabin , Allan Bartholomew, and many others

The runs I got that were complete or near complete runs of house of mystery and secrets, mystery in space, tales of the unexpected, green lantern, Hawkman,   The brave and bold (A friend of mine bought the one to 27 ) minus the 28,29 and 30, the showcase run minus the flashes,  and the nine and the 10,and  the Tommy's, and a few other sci-fi runs, Along with the rip hunter and other offshoot titles  from the showcase and the brave and the bold runs, and a number of other mini runs.

You are right in Superman, action, Batman detective, and flash up to about 115 were not  there.

The early flashes were gone, but I got the 123 and most of them after that and multiple other DC runs.

Also got a few of the marvel  runs, but the big ones had sold before I got in there.  he did have the daredevil, and X-Men runs left and most of the strange tales.

Calvin had already sold most of his Timely's  to John Verzyl, and through  the years had sold some of miscellaneous books to his friend Ferd and other collectors.

He had some golden age DC books that he had just acquired,  and runs of some of the qualities and foxes in fwhich had a number of Larson copies in them. I had bought the hit one to 17 and traded back to him this run, keeping the what we suspected was the 11 Larson and replacing it with the cosmic Aeroplane.  Borock at that time would not verify it as the Larson, even though when you held it up to a light, it had Larson on it that had been erased which Calvin was notorious for.  I think Richard Evans has that book now.

We are both in 100% agreement with how nice the books were right off the newsstand (right up there with the white mountains ) and they should've been pedigreed although Borock refused to pedigree them as Calvin had sent him in a group of books and replaced one that he must've sold with a colour touched issue, and this set off Steve and he refused to call his collection a pedigree under any circumstance.

Dwight Fuhro

Hi Dwight, 

I apologize but I did not mean to come across as condescending.   Rather, I was interested in trying to fill in some blanks in the backstory of the collection.  In particular, the silver age Marvels.  At the time of my purchase, Calvin was not interested in selling them or the Green Lanterns.  

A few years ago, I did ask Matt Nelson of CGC why the Slobodian's were not classified as a Pedigree by CGC.  What he told me was that Calvin's collection was not all original owner copies which disqualified the collection from being called a Pedigree.  Your mention of Calvin also having acquired some Larson's and Cosmic Airplane books supports Nelson's comments.  Although, my guess is that the vast majority of the Slobodian collection was purchased by him off the newsstand and to disqualify the whole collection does  seem to be a bit harsh.  

Anyway, based on what you said, it all fits.  No, I am not Ron F.

On 12/23/2023 at 4:34 PM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

Hi Dwight, 

I apologize but I did not mean to come across as condescending.   Rather, I was interested in trying to fill in some blanks in the backstory of the collection.  In particular, the silver age Marvels.  At the time of my purchase, Calvin was not interested in selling them or the Green Lanterns.  

A few years ago, I did ask Matt Nelson of CGC why the Slobodian's were not classified as a Pedigree by CGC.  What he told me was that Calvin's collection was not all original owner copies which disqualified the collection from being called a Pedigree.  Your mention of Calvin also having acquired some Larson's and Cosmic Airplane books supports Nelson's comments.  Although, my guess is that the vast majority of the Slobodian collection was purchased by him off the newsstand and to disqualify the whole collection does  seem to be a bit harsh.  

Anyway, based on what you said, it all fits.  No, I am not Ron F.

Agree with you 100% Steve would not classify Calvins collection as a pedigree because of one instance.  There were thousands of books starting in the mid 1950s that he had bought off the newsstand and we're very high-grade.

No doubt that it should've been classified as a pedigree very few of the books from 1955 and up that he had, were bought secondhand almost everything was bought straight off the stand, making it a massive collection, and it is ridiculous that it isn't a pedigree .

Edited by detective35

On 12/23/2023 at 5:34 PM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

I apologize but I did not mean to come across as condescending.

For what it's worth, I didn't think you sounded condescending at all...but then half the forums think I'm condescending when I don't mean to be, so what do I know? :angel:

On 12/22/2023 at 8:10 PM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

Around 1975, I purchased most of Slobodian's DC collection including the Showcase comics.  Showcase #4 was at best a 7.0.  I no longer have it since I sold it years ago.   

I turned 1 in1975, so I wasn't too dialed in to the world of comic book back issues. Was Calvin Slobodian simply a collector who sold off a large early SA collection?

On 12/24/2023 at 4:00 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I turned 1 in1975, so I wasn't too dialed in to the world of comic book back issues. Was Calvin Slobodian simply a collector who sold off a large early SA collection?

Calvin has one of the old time dealer/collectors who started back in the late 60s.

He amassed complete runs from the mid 1950s on which he bought off the newsstand plus bought multiple collections and had a massive personal collection in golden age and silver age.  He has, since sold off most of his stuff.

Edited by detective35

On 1/5/2024 at 2:21 PM, path4play said:

WTH is the "Secret Sound" Collection?

lf.thumb.jpg.73a967ce79200c54ed5dc907155ed080.jpg

I dunno, ComicConnect has a Puget Sound Collection coming up in their next big one.  https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1025138

But yeah I've seen a lot of these "collections" but many times can't find anything out about what they heck they are. 

On 1/5/2024 at 2:21 PM, path4play said:

WTH is the "Secret Sound" Collection?

lf.thumb.jpg.73a967ce79200c54ed5dc907155ed080.jpg

Collection purchased from a single owner, as documented in a ComicTom video.  I would prefer not to link to the video, but since you asked...