• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Heck, even the mid-grade restored copy of Cap 3 managed to sell for over 3 times condition guide and came within a whisker of the final price for the Action 7.  (thumbsu

I too was surprised at the strong price for a restored Cap 3. The book was in the doldrums at $5k until the very end when it jumped to $25k(or thereabouts)

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

25 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
31 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Heck, even the mid-grade restored copy of Cap 3 managed to sell for over 3 times condition guide and came within a whisker of the final price for the Action 7.  (thumbsu

I too was surprised at the strong price for a restored Cap 3. The book was in the doldrums at $5k until the very end when it jumped to $25k(or thereabouts)

Well, I believe that Cap 3 even in restored condition have historically sold for over condition guide, but a multiple of more than 3 times condition guide is most defnitely a completely different story.  :whatthe:  :flipbait:

Edited by lou_fine

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I believe that Cap 3 even in restored condition have historically sold for over condition guide, but a multiple of more than 3 times condition guide is most defnitely a completely different story.  :whatthe:

True, but which story, ...the first Red Skull cover or first Alex Schomburg Cap cover?  hm

47 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I believe that Cap 3 even in restored condition have historically sold for over condition guide, but a multiple of more than 3 times condition guide is most defnitely a completely different story.  :whatthe:

True, but which story, ...the first Red Skull cover or first Alex Schomburg Cap cover?  hm

Well, that's only a double then..........maybe it's also all about the first Stan Lee story in the comics which would then account for the triple. (thumbsu  lol

Edited by lou_fine

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, that's only a double then..........maybe it's also all about the first Stan Lee story in the comics which would then account for the triple. (thumbsu  lol

Stan who?  :devil:  ...Ok, but if this is a World Series league pitch I’ll need to know if it’s a home game or outta town!.  hm

Don't know anything at all about collectible video games, but it looks like this one here sold for a pretty hefty price:

Video Games:Nintendo, Mega Man ["Dr. Wright" First Release] - Carolina Collection Wata 9.4 A+ Sealed NES Capcom 1987 USA....

Managed to hit $75K which seems like quite a bit, but if I remember correctly, the consignor was apparently saying they wouldn't be happy if this one failed to hit 6-figures at the minimum.  :whatthe:

If so, I imagine somebody's not totally happy, although I am not sure how the rest of his Carolina Collection fared in the end.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Don't know anything at all about collectible video games, but it looks like this one here sold for a pretty hefty price:

Video Games:Nintendo, Mega Man ["Dr. Wright" First Release] - Carolina Collection Wata 9.4 A+ Sealed NES Capcom 1987 USA....

Managed to hit $75K which seems like quite a bit, but if I remember correctly, the consignor was apparently saying they wouldn't be happy if this one failed to hit 6-figures at the minimum.  :whatthe:

If so, I imagine somebody's not totally happy, although I am not sure how the rest of his Carolina Collection fared in the end.  hm

Adam/Danielle are heavily into video games atm. Wouldn't be surprised if they won it. Seems like a lot of cash for a video game but like you, I know nothing about those collectibles.

Edited by Gotham Kid

With the Cap 1 and Bat 1 prices realized I feel like I do when the stock market tanks and see my 401k take a big hit. Since I bought Cap1 12 years ago I'm good with that dip but I could have possibly bought this Bat 1 at less than what I have into mine.

Oh well if I needed to sell now it would not be good. Still have a few years that I should be able to hold onto them and hopefully watch them rebound slowly.

Gotta expect a market correction on these books that shot up way to fast.

11 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

With the Cap 1 and Bat 1 prices realized I feel like I do when the stock market tanks and see my 401k take a big hit. Since I bought Cap1 12 years ago I'm good with that dip but I could have possibly bought this Bat 1 at less than what I have into mine.

Oh well if I needed to sell now it would not be good. Still have a few years that I should be able to hold onto them and hopefully watch them rebound slowly.

Gotta expect a market correction on these books that shot up way to fast.

I agree.  On the other hand, seasonally speaking, this is the worst time of year for sellers and the best time of year for buyers(IMHO).  So the weak prices may just be that.

Regardless, now is the time for every man to look inward and ask themselves the question:  Is this a good time to buy?

32 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I agree.  On the other hand, seasonally speaking, this is the worst time of year for sellers and the best time of year for buyers(IMHO).  So the weak prices may just be that.

I'm not so sure about that Clark. Anyone who has 150K to spend on a comic book can't be all too concerned about Xmas or whatever time of year it is.

I could somewhat agree if we were talking about a 5K book but not a 6-figure book.

Edited by Gotham Kid

27 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Regardless, now is the time for every man to look inward and ask themselves the question:  Is this a good time to buy?

People always say that this time of year is bad for selling, but that hasn't been proven objectively to be the case.  From my discussions with Heritage and others, they feel otherwise.  

21 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I'm not so sure about that Clark. Anyone who has 150K to spend on a comic book can't be all too concerned about Xmas or whatever time of year it is.

I could somewhat agree if we were talking about a 5K book but not a 6-figure book.

Well, darn.  I was hoping to attribute the weak prices for Bat 1, Cap 1 and FF1 on the season.  My crystal ball must be faulty.

I am still left with the question:  is now a good time to buy?  Because these are books with bright futures, even if they are a bit weak now

8 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I was hoping to attribute the weak prices for Bat 1, Cap 1 and FF1 on the season.

Been a few Bat1 in lower mid-grades offered the last 2 yrs.

Cap1 (already noted by others) not the nicest 6.0.

FF1 - Silver Age Marvel. Nuff said. Snap your fingers, show some cash and high grade copies will appear in a heartbeat.

Edited by Gotham Kid

18 minutes ago, buttock said:

People always say that this time of year is bad for selling, but that hasn't been proven objectively to be the case.  From my discussions with Heritage and others, they feel otherwise.  

Heritage and others may feel that way, but I promise you the consignors of the FF1, Bat 1 and Cap 1 don't.  I chased to $240k a Cap 1 7.0 just a few months back in a CC auction.

That said, I respect your opinion and everyone else's, and never lose sight of the distinct possibility that I am WRoNG in mine

4 minutes ago, buttock said:

I wouldn't use Cap 1 as a barometer.  It's probably the most common big key, alongside Bat 1.  There is usually at least one copy in both HA and CC auctions each quarter, and often more than one in each auction.  At some point, everyone who wants one will have one or pass on the opportunity to buy one.  Not to mention it's peaking on its recent exponential growth curve.  It's following the trend of AF 15 recently where people think it's declining, but rather than declining it's reached a price point that encourages buyers to be a bit more picky.  Not all 6.0s are equal, and as others have pointed out, this was not a great 6.0.  If you're talking about a book with fewer available copies, you take what you can get.  The more common books, buy smart.  Especially at $100k plus. 

Good thing I'm in it for the love of the hobby.  I don't need to make money, but I prefer not to lose any.

8 minutes ago, buttock said:

I wouldn't use Cap 1 as a barometer.  It's probably the most common big key, alongside Bat 1.  There is usually at least one copy in both HA and CC auctions each quarter, and often more than one in each auction.  At some point, everyone who wants one will have one or pass on the opportunity to buy one.  Not to mention it's peaking on its recent exponential growth curve.  It's following the trend of AF 15 recently where people think it's declining, but rather than declining it's reached a price point that encourages buyers to be a bit more picky.  Not all 6.0s are equal, and as others have pointed out, this was not a great 6.0.  If you're talking about a book with fewer available copies, you take what you can get.  The more common books, buy smart.  Especially at $100k plus. 

(thumbsu