• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,949 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2023 at 12:46 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if I remember correctly, haven't they already had a couple of poorly reviewed and live action versions of the Flintstones that turned out to be big box office bombs and clearly not as much fun as the original cartoon versions that we saw back in the 60's.  :(

Maybe they need to come up with a postive reviewed version that turns into a box office hit for the new generation of movie goers.  :wishluck:

The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas was pretty bad. Stephen Baldwin was in that one, and his Barney Rubble looked like a cognitively impaired guy stoned on pot.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 7/1/2023 at 12:46 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if I remember correctly, haven't they already had a couple of poorly reviewed and live action versions of the Flintstones that turned out to be big box office bombs and clearly not as much fun as the original cartoon versions that we saw back in the 60's.  :(

Maybe they need to come up with a postive reviewed version that turns into a box office hit for the new generation of movie goers.  :wishluck:

You know I don't think that matters much. It is and always will be the original and early versions of things that embed things into popular culture. I guess reminders here and there could help keep them fresh in the minds of younger generations, even if those reminders are terrible Hollywood money grabs. I believe those Dell and Gold Key comics will become more desired "as time goes by". Even the unpopular and/or mostly forgotten characters. Pieces of western culture history.....especially in high grade. 

On 7/1/2023 at 1:17 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

a cognitively impaired guy stoned on pot.

Isn't that redundant?

On 7/1/2023 at 1:52 PM, MrBedrock said:
On 7/1/2023 at 11:17 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

a cognitively impaired guy stoned on pot.

Isn't that redundant?

Are you still spending time admiring your good Texan looks in front of the mirror?  :baiting:  lol

On 7/1/2023 at 4:08 PM, Professor K said:

You know I don't think that matters much. It is and always will be the original and early versions of things that embed things into popular culture. I guess reminders here and there could help keep them fresh in the minds of younger generations, even if those reminders are terrible Hollywood money grabs. I believe those Dell and Gold Key comics will become more desired "as time goes by". Even the unpopular and/or mostly forgotten characters. Pieces of western culture history.....especially in high grade. 

You may be on to something. It could be that comic book collecting will give way to something like "20th Century American Pop Culture Memoribilia" collecting—so that the typical prospective buyer for a comic book will be the same guy who might buy a Perry Como 8-track tape or a Doors poster or some Garbage Pail Kids stickers as opposed to someone focused on comic books.

I'm not sure a collector like that would have "grails" the way some of us do (or even a want list). All of the "cool old comics" could become somewhat interchangeable.

When I was younger, I would sometimes find GA books at antique shops, and everything was typically priced  about the same (say $10 or whatever). Books that would be worth $2 to a collector would be priced at $10, but so would books worth $50 to a collector. Since most of the buyers weren't comic book collectors per se, they valued all old comics about the same, and the shop owners priced them accordingly.

I could see those future memorabilia collectors being a little like those antique shop customers in terms of their buying habits—willing to pay a given price for a strip reprint book and willing to spend the roughly same amount on a Timely with a Schomburg war cover. I'm sure there would be some price differentiation based on the quality of the artwork or the presence of a recognizable character on the cover, but it could be slight compared to what we have now.

(I'm not sure that sort of collector would focus on the grade the way we do, but surely eye appeal would still be a factor, and there's some correlation between the two even though exceptions abound.)

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 7/1/2023 at 5:00 PM, lou_fine said:

Are you still spending time admiring your good Texan looks in front of the mirror?  :baiting:  lol

This is completely off topic, but I remember @catrick339 referring to Richard as a "tall Texan, so I just googled Claude Gray, the original "Tall Texan," and I found out that he died on April 28 of this year. :( RIP Mr. Gray!

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 7/1/2023 at 6:07 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

You may be on to something. It could be that comic book collecting will give way to something like "20th Century American Pop Culture Memoribilia" collecting—so that the typical prospective buyer for a comic book will be the same guy who might buy a Perry Como 8-track tape or a Doors poster or some Garbage Pail Kids stickers as opposed to someone focused on comic books.

I'm not sure a collector like that would have "grails" the way some of us do (or even a want list). All of the "cool old comics" could become somewhat interchangeable.

When I was younger, I would sometimes find GA books at antique shops, and everything was typically priced  about the same (say $10 or whatever). Books that would be worth $2 to a collector would be priced at $10, but so would books worth $50 to a collector. Since most of the buyers weren't comic book collectors per se, they valued all old comics about the same, and the shop owners priced them accordingly.

I could see those future memorabilia collectors being a little like those antique shop customers in terms of their buying habits—willing to pay a given price for a strip reprint book and willing to spend the roughly same amount on a Timely with a Schomburg war cover. I'm sure there would be some price differentiation based on the quality of the artwork or the presence of a recognizable character on the cover, but it could be slight compared to what we have now.

(I'm not sure that sort of collector would focus on the grade the way we do, but surely eye appeal would still be a factor, and there's some correlation between the two even though exceptions abound.)

I wasn't even thinking that far ahead but your'e probably right. Collectors may evolve into collectors all forms of nostalgia. Judging by the "What Else Do You Collect?" thread I think it's already begun. 

On 7/2/2023 at 2:16 AM, lou_fine said:

I guess there's no Flash Gordon movie in the works (but maybe another Flesh Gordon movie lol), but still rather surprised this book here wasn't able to garnered any additional bids in the last days of the auction here and finished up at only $690:   :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/four-color-512-flash-gordon-dell-1953-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40234-82117.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Four Color #512 Flash Gordon (Dell, 1953) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white to white pages....

Especially since this same copy here, albeit in one slight grade increment higher and better centered, if I remember correctly was able to move up from somewhere in the $500 range all the way up to $2,725 during the extended 3-minute bidding sessions at CC a couple of years ago:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820394

fou1.8256.jpg

Then again, it must have been the QES sticker that drove the bidding price all the way up there.  :bigsmile:

If it was a Doug book, perhaps some collectors who would normally be players are sitting it out. 

On 7/1/2023 at 8:19 PM, tth2 said:

If it was a Doug book, perhaps some collectors who would normally be players are sitting it out. 

Kind of reminds me of the days of Jason when some would open their wallets as wide as possible for his so-called uber "HG" books, while others would run as fast and as far away as they could.  lol

On 7/3/2023 at 6:26 AM, ThothAmon said:

I’m not sure what I was huffing with my final bid but I’ve always loved this cover.   

IMG_9309.jpeg

Nice pick up!  I have to admit I was stunned by the price that it went for, but then again it looks fantastic despite the 8.0 grade and who knows when another copy will show up? 

On 7/3/2023 at 1:36 AM, tth2 said:

As I had already alluded to in another thread here, maybe it simply means that the stigmatized acronym of PLOD that we have all become so accustomed to now also stands for something else, namely the "Promise Label of Death".  hm  :(

Sadly , it would seem that with all of the overblown hype from Heritage and resulting heightened expectations for these books, now that they are coming back to market with unsustainable and disappointing resales results, The Promise label is really in most cases just a stigmatized label.  In moist cases, bidders are probably simply goin in and checking on the previous results and then applyong some sort of big percentage discount to come up with their new highest bid.  (shrug)

Like with the PLOD restored books when they first came out and selling at such bargain prices when CGC first started up, there's now probably some good deals in there with some of these recycled Promise books going forward longer term if you are both patient and selective.  hm  (thumbsu

Looking through the rear view mirror now, I certainly wished that I had picked up a few more SP restored books then the few that I got back in the day for small fractions to condition guide, whereas some of the HTF more desirable books even in restored condition are now going for a nice premium to condition guide value.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/2/2023 at 8:44 PM, tth2 said:

Nice pick up!  I have to admit I was stunned by the price that it went for, but then again it looks fantastic despite the 8.0 grade and who knows when another copy will show up? 

Don't know anything at all about First Edition books, but I was rather stunned at some of the prices that these books are going for:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/books/hardcover/assorted-hardcover-books-box-lot-various-publishers-1890s-1970s-total-2-box-lots-/a/122327-11350.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

Books:Hardcover, Assorted Hardcover Books Box Lot (Various Publishers, 1890s-1970s).... (Total: 2 Box Lots)

Sold for what I thought was a rather strong $7,800 and interesting to see that Heritage now always have auction lots of these books at the end of their weekly Sunday GA auction.  (thumbsu

On 6/24/2023 at 7:48 PM, tth2 said:

Maybe the demise of sky high prices has been greatly exaggerated.  Are bidders put off by a live floor auction, preferring a robot auctioneer instead?

Large Feature Comic (Series I) #4 Church CGC NM- 9.2 OW-W ... $10,200

Plastic Man #41 CGC NM 9.4 OW-W ... $7,200

Superman #63 CGC NM+ 9.6 W ... $16,200

Journey Into Mystery #108 CGC NM+ 9.6 W ... $11,100

The Superman #63 and the Promise Superman #68 (sold for $26.4K) are both 9.6.  They are extremely rare.  I would argue that of all the Superman's being offered in the June auction, these two were the rarest. Both were printed in the early 50's when comics had lost their popularity.  Also, in the Auction was a Superman #101 (1955) which sold for a record $6K (previous high was $1800 in 2018).  Collectors are starting to realize that these early to mid 50's Superman's in 9.4 and up, only rarely come up for sale.  If you want them, you need to pay the big bucks.