• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,949 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2023 at 11:26 PM, tth2 said:

Aren't insurance and registered different things?  If the plane or truck carrying your registered but uninsured books goes up in flames, are you going to be reimbursed?

If you can find out the answer to that I'd be forever grateful, because not one postal worker so far that I've asked can answer that with any assuring level of accuracy. Some have said yes and some no and a few I'm not sures.

I just looked it up and only found this which is on the usps website:

"What Extra Services are available?

Insurance: You must declare the full value of the mailpiece, when presenting it for mailing. Insurance matching the declared value of the item(s) is included up to $50,000."

So If I am understing correctly they do insure it for the value you declare. Do you think that's what that means? On the current slip there is no area to put extra insurance if that means anything.

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_180147_www.google.com.png

On 8/26/2023 at 5:03 PM, Professor K said:

If you can find out the answer to that I'd be forever grateful, because not one postal worker so far that I've asked can answer that with any assuring level of accuracy. Some have said yes and some no and a few I'm not sures.

I just looked it up and only found this which is on the usps website:

"What Extra Services are available?

Insurance: You must declare the full value of the mailpiece, when presenting it for mailing. Insurance matching the declared value of the item(s) is included up to $50,000."

So If I am understing correctly they do insure it for the value you declare. Do you think that's what that means? On the current slip there is no area to put extra insurance if that means anything.

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_180147_www.google.com.png

Here is my understanding:

Registered mail is a USPS service, just like express, priority and media mail are USPS services. Insurance is an additional cost for registered mail, just like it is an additional cost for priority mail.  I believe registered mail costs a bit (or more than a bit) more than priority mail, but for shipping pricey items (at least those worth between say $5K and $25K) with insurance, using registered mail is a no brainer, as the cost of insurance for registered mail is significantly cheaper than for express or priority. The cost of registered appears to start getting pricier for items worth over $25K per link below.

USPS insurance costs for priority and express:

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2007/html/pb22218/kit1_011.html

USPS insurance costs for registered mail:

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2008/html/pb22247/html/not123_063.html

For registered mail, you enter the value you want it to be insured for next to "Customer must declare full value", and then you're charged based on the registered insurance rates rates in the link above.

Keep in mind that if you ship with registered mail you'll need to paper tape around all the seams of the box. When I used registered mail many years ago the usps clerk provided me with some tape that I used to prepare my box appropriately (along with a water sponge thingy to get wet the sticky side of the tape).

Edited by Superman2006

On 8/26/2023 at 8:59 PM, Superman2006 said:

Registered mail is a USPS service, just like express, priority and media mail are USPS services. Insurance is an additional cost for registered mail, just like it is an additional cost for priority mail.  I believe registered mail costs a bit (or more than a bit) more than priority mail, but for shipping pricey items (at least those worth between say $5K and $25K) with insurance, using registered mail is a no brainer, as the cost of insurance for registered mail is significantly cheaper than for express or priority. The cost of registered appears to start getting pricier for items worth over $25K per link below.

For registered mail, you enter the value you want it to be insured for next to "Customer must declare full value", and then you're charged based on the registered insurance rates rates in the link above.

Hey Sup, That seems to be al correct. Thanks. In my experiences this year on shipping it was quite less to ship registered with a declared value as opposed to priority with the same amount insured. Books were about 3 to 10k each time. Like I said in the past it was the opposite but I think priority insurance costs have gone way up. I spoke to the fellows at comiclink about this and they were going to look into it. Try to save us all some dough.

On 8/26/2023 at 8:27 PM, Professor K said:
On 8/26/2023 at 7:59 PM, Superman2006 said:

Expand  

Hey Sup, That seems to be al correct. Thanks. In my experiences this year on shipping it was quite less to ship registered with a declared value as opposed to priority with the same amount insured. Books were about 3 to 10k each time. Like I said in the past it was the opposite but I think priority insurance costs have gone way up. I spoke to the fellows at comiclink about this and they were going to look into it. Try to save us all some dough.

Hey Professor, in my experience it has been that way for at least the past 10+ years (I sent a registered insured item about 10 years ago and that's how it was back then too). Insurance rates for priority, and registered may have changed slightly during that time, but the relationship between them has been fairly steady.  I'm not as familiar with historical insurance rates for Express; I thought they have always been more on the high side like Priority than on the low side like Registered, but I don't recall for sure.  2c

Edited by Superman2006

On 8/26/2023 at 3:03 PM, Professor K said:

So If I am understing correctly they do insure it for the value you declare. Do you think that's what that means?

I think what it means is that all of the deep pocketed collectors like the Dentist and the like who deals in $50K+ books like they were petty cash should be personally flying their books to where they want them to go instead of shipping them through the mail.  lol 

On 8/27/2023 at 12:21 PM, lou_fine said:

I think what it means is that all of the deep pocketed collectors like the Dentist and the like who deals in $50K+ books like they were petty cash should be personally flying their books to where they want them to go instead of shipping them through the mail.  lol 

What happens if the plane they're on goes down?

On 8/25/2023 at 11:55 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Is it just me or has HA's shipping gone up again?

The shipping for a single slab in the last auction has now come back to me as costing $100usd, while my previous single slab order of similar value last year was only $75. Yikeeess.

I recently won on Heritage Auctions a custom painted Hot Toys Batmobile.  The size of the box was 37 inches x 14 inches x 27 inches.  After I won, I was concerned that I would be receiving a huge shipping charge.  I also bid and won a second item which was about 20x20x4 inches.  To my surprise, the shipping charge was only about $57 via Federal Express.  The total value of the 2 items was about $1000.  I received the items in 3 days.

On 8/18/2023 at 1:48 PM, lou_fine said:

Hmmmmm.............this upcoming Showcase Auction appears to be rather intriguing from the POV of who the consignor potentially might be:  hm

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+794+793+792+4294935913&limitTo=4294935913&ic=homepage-search-A-Y-071316

From the Spectacular Collection of Dr. Dave Anderson and is this the same Dave Anderson that we all seem to know or NOT know so well here? (shrug)

Both Saucy and Spicy!  Those pulps really put the headlights on the high beam.

On 8/29/2023 at 12:19 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Just received my catalog, 9.8 GA Tecs and Action Comics, wow.

You might want to reconsider that "wow" after you've looked at the high resolution scans. For instance, the "9.8" Tec 167 has multiple printer's tears on the back cover, including one that's an inch long.

Tec167.JPG

On 9/2/2023 at 6:29 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

You might want to reconsider that "wow" after you've looked at the high resolution scans. For instance, the "9.8" Tec 167 has multiple printer's tears on the back cover, including one that's an inch long.

Tec167.JPGI thought it. was a stain…you may be right though…

Edited by JTD

On 9/2/2023 at 4:29 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Tec167.JPG

Not sure what your concern is here since it looks like you've already identified and addressed the reason for this grade on your own.  :bigsmile:

After all, this is a book from the Promise Collection and submitted by Heritage for certification, and as such, all identified defects such as this is to be deemed as part of the printing process and to be ignored for grading purposes.  Of course, if it was just a regular Joe Shmoe like you or me submitting a book with multiple tears in it, it would be clearly flagged as a post-printing defect and pummeled with a sledgehammer when it came to grading, like this beauty of a book here:  :luhv:

won4.322.jpg

Clearly I must be out of the loop because I am not sure what "Pre-Marvel tears" are as this is the only item listed on the Graders Notes for the 'Tec 167:  :facepalm:

Grader Notes
Pre-Marvel tear top of back cover

Actually, if you scroll to the left of what you posted, that whole top back edge is all "messed up" for a uber HG book.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/2/2023 at 6:14 PM, lou_fine said:

Not sure what your concern is here since it looks like you've already identified and addressed the reason for this grade on your own.  :bigsmile:

After all, this is a book from the Promise Collection and submitted by Heritage for certification, and as such, all identified defects such as this is to be deemed as part of the printing process and to be ignored for grading purposes.  Of course, if it just was a regular Joe Shmoe like you or me submitting a book with multiple tears in it, it would be clearly flagged as a post-printing defect and pummeled with a sledgehammer when it came to grading, like this beauty of a book here:  :luhv:

won4.322.jpg

Clearly I must be out of the loop because I am not sure what "Pre-Marvel tears" are as this is the only item listed on the Graders Notes for the 'Tec 167:  :facepalm:

Grader Notes
Pre-Marvel tear top of back cover

Actually, if you scroll to the left of what you posted, that whole top back edge is all "messed up" for a uber HG book.  (shrug)

I'm not sure what a Pre-Marvel tear is, either . . . the GA's version of Marvel chipping? It may have a similar cause, such as a dull blade.

I've seen that exact kind of tearing referred to as "printer's tears" on other books.

Your Wonder 13 has some other issues, but I have seen books busted all the way down to 7.5 for printer's tears that are comparable to the ones on the Tec 167. I don't remember ever seeing a book with tears that bad land in the 9s in the pre-Promise era.

On 9/2/2023 at 6:14 PM, lou_fine said:

After all, this is a book from the Promise Collection and submitted by Heritage for certification, and as such, all identified defects such as this is to be deemed as part of the printing process and to be ignored for grading purposes. 

If this were a Promise book, there's a 50/50 chance CGC would call this a bindery chip and give the book a 9.4 or above. (It's on eBay now and only has a single bid at $300 if you want to snag it.)

Cap 39.jpg