• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,041 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2023 at 11:00 PM, adamstrange said:

Taffy 2 is considered a Hitler cover due to the way that the bug driving the tank is drawn.

I'm glad I asked. 

On 6/24/2023 at 11:45 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

I think you meant Taffy #2, ...unless you're talking about salt water taffy, but that's a real stretch. :Rocket:

Now I'm really glad I asked. 

On 6/21/2019 at 1:38 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Much like we have one for ComicConnect, we should have one for Heritage.

I like the idea of having all discussions bundled into a single thread. Makes things so much easier to research later on.

We can kick this thread off with Heritage auction August 2019

I’m not impressed with this signature auction. Past auctions had much more important material. The prices fetched are unbelievable.

comics have finally become an investment and speculative commodity. There is a New breed of collector here. For just one, Rich , young , Silicon Valley tech execs driving up prices at a feverish pace.

On 6/25/2023 at 10:02 AM, action1kid said:

I’m not impressed with this signature auction. Past auctions had much more important material. The prices fetched are unbelievable.

comics have finally become an investment and speculative commodity. There is a New breed of collector here. For just one, Rich , young , Silicon Valley tech execs driving up prices at a feverish pace.

I actually thought the prices were pulled back quite a bit

On 6/25/2023 at 11:58 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

But to be fair, the prices would seem extremely high to someone who hasn't been following the hobby during the past 3 years.  In that sense, Action1Kid's views are a good reality check for the rest of us who've become so jaded from seeing so many stratospheric price jumps in recent years.

On 6/26/2023 at 1:56 AM, Mmehdy said:
On 6/25/2023 at 11:58 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Not for original art

Check out the OA forum.  The sentiment there is clearly that OA prices are down.  Some big baths were taken in this auction.  Even some perma-bears are blinking now that the price declines they've been predicting for years are finally happening. 

On 6/23/2023 at 9:31 PM, tth2 said:
On 6/23/2023 at 9:09 AM, Mmehdy said:

It appears that the Promise Collection was sold at the perfect exact moment of a comic book price bubble and them it went for an insane over market price.

I was wrong....they may never hit true market price on a number of those books...The GA Action prices cannot be dismissed.

Wow, credibility being restored! :whatthe: (worship)

Although Mitch's revised POV on the Promise books might now be viewed as the general rule, I guess there will always be pleasant exceptions to the general rule such as this mid-run Batman book here:  :whatthe:  :)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/batman-43-dc-1947-cgc-nm-92-white-pages/a/7340-92020.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Batman #43 (DC, 1947) CGC NM- 9.2 White pages....

Especially noteworthy in the fact that although the CGC 9.2 graded Promise Collection copy of this book had sold for a relatively strong $6,600 back in November of 2021, this was subsequently followed up by equivalent graded non-pedigree CGC 9.2 sales of $7,200 in May of 2022, $7,800 in January of 2023, and now a rather surprisingly strong $8,700 in the Heritage Signature Auction last Thursday.  :whatthe:  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/27/2023 at 9:12 PM, lou_fine said:

Although Mitch's revised POV on the Promise books might now be viewed as the general rule, I guess there will always be pleasant exceptions to the general rule such as this mid-run Batman book here:  :whatthe:  :)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/batman-43-dc-1947-cgc-nm-92-white-pages/a/7340-92020.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Batman #43 (DC, 1947) CGC NM- 9.2 White pages....

Especially noteworthy in the fact that although the CGC 9.2 graded Promise Collection copy of this book had sold for a relatively strong $6,600 back in November of 2021, this was subsequently followed up by equivalent graded non-pedigree CGC 9.2 sales of $7,200 in May of 2022, $7,800 in January of 2023, and now a rather surprisingly strong $8,700 in the Heritage Signature Auction last Thursday.  :whatthe:  :applause:

That is a crazy price even with the Penguin cover.  You think there is any chance you have character chasers going for it because of the upcoming Penguin movie?

On 6/27/2023 at 11:12 PM, lou_fine said:

Batman is hotter than Georgia asphalt. 

On 6/28/2023 at 10:38 AM, batman_fan said:

That is a crazy price even with the Penguin cover.  You think there is any chance you have character chasers going for it because of the upcoming Penguin movie?

Well, based upon what we've seen in the marketplace, I would have to say that any hype from movies and TV when it comes to the DC characters is nowhere close to being as crazy and bringing in the speculators when compared to the Marvel movies and TV shows.  hm

Perect case in point being the Gotham TV series which ran for 5 seasons featuring the Penguin as the constant ongoing villian throughout all 5 seasons and have we really seen any movement on prices for the Penguin related books.   Not quite as obvious, but have we seen any movement with respect to any of the JSA characters even though they have made their way through many of the DC TV shows and even onto the big screen like Doctor Fate?  (shrug)

Clearly not in the same league as Richie Rich who was able to hit 6-figures, but looks like Freddy and the gang still came close to 5-figures: :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/cartoon-character/dell-giant-48-dell-1961-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40234-82043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Silver Age (1956-1969):Cartoon Character, Dell Giant #48 (Dell, 1961) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

Sold for what I assume would be a record price at $9,600 for what is acknowledged to be Flintstones #1.  :applause:

On 6/30/2023 at 4:30 PM, lou_fine said:

Clearly not in the same league as Richie Rich who was able to hit 6-figures, but looks like Freddy and the gang still came close to 5-figures: :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/cartoon-character/dell-giant-48-dell-1961-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40234-82043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Silver Age (1956-1969):Cartoon Character, Dell Giant #48 (Dell, 1961) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

Sold for what I assume would be a record price at $9,600 for what is acknowledged to be Flintstones #1.  :applause:

What is a bit amazing is that the people who grew up with this show as kids are senior citizens now. I can’t see a lot of long term growth for books like this. 

On 7/1/2023 at 9:33 AM, szav said:

Never underestimate Hollywood's inability to come up with anything original and to head straight to the landfill to dig up a reboot 20 years later for the next generation.  Don't know how real or serious this is, never heard that they were doing this and just randomly googled it now......

https://decider.com/2023/03/12/fox-orders-flintstones-animated-sequel-bedrock-starring-elizabeth-banks/

Well, if I remember correctly, haven't they already had a couple of poorly reviewed and live action versions of the Flintstones that turned out to be big box office bombs and clearly not as much fun as the original cartoon versions that we saw back in the 60's.  :(

Maybe they need to come up with a postive reviewed version that turns into a box office hit for the new generation of movie goers.  :wishluck:

On 7/1/2023 at 11:11 AM, Robot Man said:

What is a bit amazing is that the people who grew up with this show as kids are senior citizens now. I can’t see a lot of long term growth for books like this. 

As long as there are kiddies who travel to the local supermarket with their parents and walk through the cereal isle and see these, I think the Flinstones will stay in the public consciousness in a sense 

Screenshot_20230701_112243_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 7/1/2023 at 10:11 AM, Robot Man said:

Wait just a darn minute!

I guess there's no Flash Gordon movie in the works (but maybe another Flesh Gordon movie lol), but still rather surprised this book here wasn't able to garnered any additional bids in the last days of the auction here and finished up at only $690:   :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/four-color-512-flash-gordon-dell-1953-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40234-82117.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Four Color #512 Flash Gordon (Dell, 1953) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white to white pages....

Especially since this same copy here, albeit in one slight grade increment higher and better centered, if I remember correctly was able to move up from somewhere in the $500 range all the way up to $2,725 during the extended 3-minute bidding sessions at CC a couple of years ago:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820394

fou1.8256.jpg

Then again, it must have been the QES sticker that drove the bidding price all the way up there.  :bigsmile: