• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Yea, the Bat 1 did take a bath.  Didn't think it at all that it sold for a good price.  But if I was a buyer for a copy, I wouldn't have gone much higher at all due to like I said the colors on the book.  Give me this copy all day:

Bat 1

Ok but we both know that that 4.0 doesn't actually look like that in hand either.  I'm sure if you put both copies side by side that there wouldn't be that much of a difference.

1 minute ago, dem1138 said:
5 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Yea, the Bat 1 did take a bath.  Didn't think it at all that it sold for a good price.  But if I was a buyer for a copy, I wouldn't have gone much higher at all due to like I said the colors on the book.  Give me this copy all day:

Bat 1

Ok but we both know that that 4.0 doesn't actually look like that in hand either.  I'm sure if you put both copies side by side that there wouldn't be that much of a difference.

Perhaps.  A few boardies on here complained that Heritage over-exaggerates the colors of the books in their scans.  So that 4.0 that recently sold might look worst lol

I know some recent private sales on some of these books in other grades and I'm sorry for the buyers.  I'm certainly not celebrating these prices.  But then the Action #23 CGC 8.5 sold very strong and thats a unique grade to come to market on that book.  It does seem like theres a bit of fatigue on the GA mega keys that have come up quite a bit recently - Cap #1, Batman #1, Superman #1

Edited by dem1138

8 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Now, that's a huge step up from the $10K pre-juice that it was sitting at last night.  :whatthe:  :applause:

Glad we highlighted this book to you then and the consignor will be super glad that you stepped up to the plate on his book here.  :baiting:

Ohhh man, that seller took a bath! Finished at $45K, but after BP. Their take home was $38K, and that's before seller fee. Ouch, and you were right, the grade bump meant nothing!!!

Don't forget about the additional costs involved to "improve" the book plus the slabbing fee to regrade the book a second time.  :cry:

Yes, with GA books in most cases, it tends to be much more about relative grading than absolute grading.  Buyers don't tend to pay that much more, if anything at all, for a highest graded copy that is now 3 increments higher than the next highest, as opposed to just 2 increments higher.  hm  doh!

2 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

But then the Action #23 CGC 8.5 sold very strong and thats a unique grade to come to market on that book. 

But is that really strong? When prior 8.5 sale was not even $7K less but 5 years ago (when top guide was 40% of what it is now)?

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Don't forget about the additional costs involved to "improve" the book plus the slabbing fee to regrade the book a second time.  :cry:

Yes, with GA books in most cases, it tends to be much more about relative grading than absolute grading.  Buyers don't tend to pay that much more, if anything at all, for a highest graded copy that is now 3 increments higher than the next highest, as opposed to just 2 increments higher.  hm  doh!

Yeah you were 100% right. Was a learning lesson for me tbh.

9 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Consignors taking a bath that's for sure...  I dunno what kind of a deal they got with Heritage on their consignments, but thinking mostly 15-20% seller's fee?

Well the BP is 20%, but I believe the sellers fee is 7%. I could be mistaken though.

12 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 11.20.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 11.20.52 AM.png

Doesn't make sense why previous owner would re-submit (perhaps pressed) and now the book is a 9.6.  It's already the highest graded copy AND most who are looking for a copy already know what the grade was before the new grade.  Countless times we've seen the same book with a new higher grade (usually half a point) garnered a lower sale price.  

Baffled that the Suspense 3 wasn't a part of the Platinum session?!?!?

Even with the tape pull(? ), Bragging rights copy all day long, twice on Sunday, and not seen at auction frequently these days. 

Thinking it could surpass expectations, given it wasn't a Platinum session piece. 

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

A27E0BEA-38C4-4140-87B2-AA628FBCA35E.jpeg

Oh wow........it looks like a slightly larger turnout than the one they held at one of the SD Con's over 10 years ago.  (thumbsu

I was actually shocked at the measly turnout that time, especially considering all of the free food and refreshments they had for the attendees.  :whatthe:

Even more shocking considering that they had over 100,000 comic book fans right next door to draw from and yet there seem to be more HA employees there than actual attendees.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

32 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:
32 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

$288K after BP for the ridiculously gorgeous Supes 1 3.5. That can't be considered a strong sale, can it?

Short answer... NOPE!  So far I haven't really seen a "strong sale"

Well, like some of us had posted a few months ago, it's never a good idea to have more than 1 copy of Supes 1 in the same auction.  hm

Especially since that kind of contradicts one of the strong selling points behind the buzz that it's supposedly a rare book that hardly ever comes to market.  Didn't they also had a 3rd copy posted in the preliminary previews before that copy got pulled.  doh!

As for strong sales, I thought the 2 Duck books did alright in the end as they both went for over guide which has not been the norm recently.  Especially with respect to the Four-Color 9 which moved up from something like $15K up to $32K pre-juice during the live portion of the auction.  :applause:

31 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Honestly, even the Fantasy #15 at #795K is underwhelming.

Isn't this pretty much in the price range that most boardies were estimating the book would sell for.  (shrug)

Looks like a nice and appropriate bump up from the CGC 9.2 graded copy that sold on CC last year for something like $598K.  (thumbsu

Any idea if this is a record price for a CGC 9.4 graded copy or what previous prices have been for 9.4 graded copies?  hm