• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2020 at 6:06 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I've always considered Heritage to have top quality imaging, but in the latest signature auction, many of the images are not up to their usual standards.

Here are a few examples. What's up with these? Have my eyes been dilated?

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

They apparently boosted the brightness without adjusting the contrast.  IMO, that's why the black level looks faded and color is washed out.

It's tricky to get right, especially with current CGC labels (large grade box) because the label is closer to the surface than the book when scanned.  That said, it's clear that Heritage is working to correct the imbalance.  

Here's that same image of Superman #1 just captured from their site (with no further adjustment).  ...See the difference? (thumbsu 

lf.jpeg.4046c57046b825d9196b598408f68a04.jpeg

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On 8/11/2020 at 12:45 PM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Well, I don't think there was ever anything wrong with their scans before, but for those who were critical, does anyone honestly consider this to be an improvement?? (shrug)

If it results in a more accurate depiction of the book, then yes...I consider it an improvement. Is it as purdy of a picture? No, but that's kind of the point... I suppose sellers will hate the new scans, but buyers will appreciate it...

54 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

If it results in a more accurate depiction of the book, then yes...I consider it an improvement. Is it as purdy of a picture? No, but that's kind of the point... I suppose sellers will hate the new scans, but buyers will appreciate it...

The results are as inaccurate as ever, plus the images look like . I'm a buyer and I don't appreciate it at all. Am I the only one? :(

1 hour ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

The results are as inaccurate as ever, plus the images look like . I'm a buyer and I don't appreciate it at all. Am I the only one? :(

If you're a buyer and haven't seen the book in-hand, how do you know it's more inaccurate? You may very well be right, but all I've seen thus far are comparisons of their scans to more of their scans...nothing that shows what the book actually looks like compared to their new scans. Maybe I missed it though...

Edited by Callaway29

18 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Try to look at it the same way as grading (if it isn't dead-on, under is better).  

If you win an auction from a scanned image that looks even better in hand, you'll be happy.  :gossip:

9 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:
On 8/13/2020 at 5:10 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Try to look at it the same way as grading (if it isn't dead-on, under is better).  

If you win an auction from a scanned image that looks even better in hand, you'll be happy.  :gossip:

Yes, if anything, the party that would be most concern and upset with this change would be the sellers or the consigner of the books because the Heritage scans would now no longer be putting the best light (pun fully intended :wink:) on their consigned books.  :p

Got my Tracked Lots email message from Heritage this morning and it seems the prices are still way up there for a lot of these 2nd or 3rd tier GA books.  

Can anybody please explain to me why this copy of Moon Girl 6 here would sell for over $1K in this CGC 5.0 grade:  ???

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Moon Girl #6 (EC, 1949) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Off-white to white pages....

I guess it certainly does present nicely relative to its assigned CGC grade, but if I remember correctly, didn't a substantially higher graded copy only sell for quite a bit less just last year or so?  Maybe it's all this free Stimulus money that's being handed out and with most people having nowhere else to spend it except for surfing around on some of these auction websites?  hm  (shrug)

33 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Can anybody please explain to me why this copy of Moon Girl 6 here would sell for over $1K in this CGC 5.0 grade:  ???

Because one guy was willing to pay exactly $1,000, and another guy was willing to pay more than $1,000.

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Got my Tracked Lots email message from Heritage this morning and it seems the prices are still way up there for a lot of these 2nd or 3rd tier GA books.  

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Moon Girl #6 (EC, 1949) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Off-white to white pages....

I guess it certainly does present nicely relative to its assigned CGC grade, but if I remember correctly, didn't a substantially higher graded copy only sell for quite a bit less just last year or so?  Maybe it's all this free Stimulus money that's being handed out and with most people having nowhere else to spend it except for surfing around on some of these auction websites?  hm  (shrug)

I would guess someone trying to finish the run.

8 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Can you explain that again but maybe go a little slower and include a graph and flow diagram.

Yes.

I feel bad that I either forgot or didn't know anything about this.  

The Q-Collection Comic Book Preservation Project Lot of 700-Plus Items (2001-2019). ... (Total: 73 Items)22694905%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Prev
Next

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/the-q-collection-comic-book-preservation-project-lot-of-700-plus-items-2001-2019-total-73-items-/a/7234-92148.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The Q-Collection website - http://q-comics.com/samples.htm

Anyone here work on this project?

35 minutes ago, telerites said:

I feel bad that I either forgot or didn't know anything about this.  

The Q-Collection Comic Book Preservation Project Lot of 700-Plus Items (2001-2019). ... (Total: 73 Items)22694905%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Prev
Next

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/the-q-collection-comic-book-preservation-project-lot-of-700-plus-items-2001-2019-total-73-items-/a/7234-92148.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The Q-Collection website - http://q-comics.com/samples.htm

Anyone here work on this project?

I doubt it. Goes against everything anyone here would be interested in I would guess. Surprised to see it for sale.