• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Randy Lawrence is consignor. I haven’t asked him but if I had to guess , having “lost” them once maybe he decided to cash out ?

I have another theory but we’ll leave it at that.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

I have another theory but we’ll leave it at that.

He confirmed he’s selling because of the stress of the situation etc. , as I suspected...I’d probably do the same thing in his shoes 

14 hours ago, buttock said:

I was a serial cracker until I had to liquidate a bunch of stuff last year.  The cost associated with recertification, not to mention the risk sending them to CGC (which is my greater concern at current given that I'm not planning to sell for a long while) was pretty substantial. 

So in fact you understand it's not such a no-brainer to crack a book out, or at least that there's a price (literally) to pay for the pleasure of holding the raw book. 

If you or your heirs plan on reselling it some day, you've basically just added additional transactional cost and time (for the resubmission process) and risk (damage in transit and getting a worse grade from CGC upon resub).

And as Sharon mentioned, the biggest risk of all is that heirs who don't know anything about collecting will think that if Mom/Dad didn't slab a book, it must be worth the same as the boxes and boxes of unslabbed Modern Drek sitting in the basement.

Edited by tth2

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

So in fact you understand it's not such a no-brainer to crack a book out, or at least that there's a price (literally) to pay for the pleasure of holding the raw book. 

If you or your heirs plan on reselling it some day, you've basically just added additional transactional cost and time (for the resubmission process) and risk (damage in transit and getting a worse grade from CGC upon resub).

And as Sharon mentioned, the biggest risk of all is that heirs who don't know anything about collecting will think that if Mom/Dad didn't slab a book, it must be worth the same as the boxes and boxes of unslabbed Modern Drek sitting in the basement.

Yes I do Tim.  Where do you plan on setting the goalposts down?  

13 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Isn't that what motivated Cheetah to sell his books too?

I tried to explain my reasoning here.

Suffice to say having your collection pilfered followed by police indifference does create a degree of stress that I could not live with.  

As a total aside, imagine how difficult it would have been to get my books back if I did not have front and back scans of each one accompanied by a unique serial number.

6 hours ago, tth2 said:

I spent, I believe, well into the 5 figures re-slabbing my books when I had to sell after hurricane michael... but I figure the enjoyment of cracking them out and reading/enjoying them, was worth it (at least I tell myself that)

25 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I spent, I believe, well into the 5 figures re-slabbing my books when I had to sell after hurricane michael... but I figure the enjoyment of cracking them out and reading/enjoying them, was worth it (at least I tell myself that)

Yeah, this is another struggle.  I often buy books for the art inside, and without cracking it I'm not getting the full enjoyment.  And to add a bit to Tim's comment, I have detailed instructions left for my heirs about what to do with my collection and how to do it.  With the value associated with comics, you'd be a fool not to do that.  

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

Suffice to say having your collection pilfered followed by police indifference does create a degree of stress that I could not live with.  

As a total aside, imagine how difficult it would have been to get my books back if I did not have front and back scans of each one accompanied by a unique serial number.

I can’t even imagine the stress associated with having your collection stolen and given my own experiences with cops on a theft 

one time a secure storage unit cleaned out and the cops said they would not even try to investigate the theft, most they could do was file a police report for insurance 

other case was an employee stealing thousands of dollars of merchandise. Reported to the police and they seemed real interested in it. Cops talked to employee and he said he was holding merchandise at home for safe keeping and the cops said it was our word against his. 

9 hours ago, cheetah said:

Truly sorry to read this story. I'm happy you got most of your GA back and it probably serves as a lesson to have your books cataloged and documented which is something I haven't done. 

Good luck with the auction and GL in Costa Rica. It seems like you found a fulfilling cause to dedicate your time toward. 

22 hours ago, buttock said:

And to add a bit to Tim's comment, I have detailed instructions left for my heirs about what to do with my collection and how to do it. 

Yep, same here.

I get Sharon not liking her case - that’s her right.   But it’s an easy fix, surely.   Send it in for reholdering.   Whether Sharon pays for it or heritage pays for it is a discussion between those two parties.    Richard said nothing that wasn’t either true or reflective of what appears to be his own opinion.    Less than zero of what he said is sexist.     It’s appalling that someone would even suggest that based on what he did in fact say.    Disagreeing with a woman is not sexist.   And if it is then surely disagreeing with a man is sexist.   At which point everyone on planet earth is sexist as soon as they disagree with anyone about anything ever :blush:

Edited by Bronty

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

I get Sharon not liking her case - that’s her right.   But it’s an easy fix, surely.   Send it in for reholdering.   Whether Sharon pays for it or heritage pays for it is a discussion between those two parties.    Richard said nothing that wasn’t either true or reflective of what appears to be his own opinion.    Less than zero of what he said is sexist.     It’s appalling that someone would even suggest that based on what he did in fact say.    Disagreeing with a woman is not sexist.   And if it is then surely disagreeing with a man is sexist.   At which point everyone on planet earth is sexist as soon as they disagree with anyone about anything ever :blush:

I disagree.