• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to Drop In Value?
8 8

1,031 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Not bad for 4 years guess next will be $1 million or a tad more in a few years from now.

Most recent comparable copy was a 9.2 I believe, that sold I think on CC for around $600K. So just not sure how strong this sale was considering what the 9.2 went for. But who knows lol.

32 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Still the 5.0 and 7.0 to be auctioned they are both not the best for the grades (paper quality and the stamp saying paid on the 7.0).

But how much sales taxes would be on the 9.4 that could bring it close to $1 million dollars?

I could be wrong, but there might be a few states left where there are no sales tax to be paid to Heritage

46 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

9C148C6E-DD9C-4B62-8F26-80B50F3029D7.jpeg

D2A8813F-0494-433B-9037-15FFDA10ACEF.jpeg

so there is a cut off on internet bidding and it goes to the floor? If no one challenges the largest internet bid, then the floor bidding stops. Prolly pretty exciting to be there. Kinda cool. Maybe the comic could be destroyed right after the sale, like that Banski stunt that nobody at Sotheby's was in on (cough, cough)

42 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Still the 5.0 and 7.0 to be auctioned they are both not the best for the grades (paper quality and the stamp saying paid on the 7.0).

But how much sales taxes would be on the 9.4 that could bring it close to $1 million dollars?

I was wondering about that 7.0 with the "Paid" date stamp. Gotta see what that went for. Was going for 55K last I looked. People don't seem to like it. I thought it was sweet!

21 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:
21 hours ago, NoMan said:

I'm old enough to know how the world works, however, it still at times hard for me to wrap my head around that kind of money for a comic book. This is now a slight on comics, key comics, AF15, the state of the hobby or anything other than that's a lot of cash.

Yes for me and you (and many others) but to some it is very little money. Paintings selling for $100 millions of dollars. I know paintings are 1/1 but still.

Don't compare it to paintings.  Compare it to Andy Warhol prints (not 1/1), except this pop culture started its life as a 12 cent comic, not as a collector's item from the first day. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Hahaha yeah my $1 million dollar was to much for the book in 2020. Still a new record price for the grade. So not to shabby with all the mess going on in the world right now.

ComicConnect sold a 9.6 copy nine years ago for $1.1 million.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/03/08/spider-man-shocker-best-known-copy-of-amazing-fantasy-15-goes-for-1-1-million/

Edited by namisgr

5 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:
10 minutes ago, namisgr said:

ComicConnect sold a 9.6 copy nearly ten years ago for $1.1 million.

Wonder what that is worth now? Thing is most of these high grade books will stay in peoples collections for decades or longer.

Hard to say what a March 2011 sale for $1.1 million would bring today.  It was the single highest graded copy at the time.  Now there are four, but the 9.4 just sold for $800K... so... hm

All we know for sure is that $1.1 million of bitcoin in March 2011 (as an alternative investment) would now be worth $10 billion.  Seriously, double-check me, if you don't believe it. :ohnoez:lol

13 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Wonder what that is worth now? Thing is most of these high grade books will stay in peoples collections for decades or longer.

one would think, but the HG AF15s just a keep a commen' 

55 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Hard to say what a March 2011 sale for $1.1 million would bring today.  It was the single highest graded copy at the time.  Now there are four, but the 9.4 just sold for $800K... so... hm

All we know for sure is that $1.1 million of bitcoin in March 2011 (as an alternative investment) would now be worth $10 billion.  Seriously, double-check me, if you don't believe it. :ohnoez:lol

Well and you have to remember that 2011 sale was a buy it now situation, wasn't an auction sale. No telling what a 9.6 at auction might do. And I just mean I think the general consensus is it would sell for a decent amount more than that 2011 sale. Not necessarily though. With more being graded now, and a 9.4 selling for just shy of $800K, it could very well sell for just over 1 mil at auction. Not sure any of those 9.6 owners will ever let us get the chance to find out though haha.

1 hour ago, Batmanis#1 said:

CGC 7.0 with cream to off-white pages and Paid stamp on cover sold for what I though it would go for $81 000.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-fn-vf-70-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7224-92113.s

I remember when a 7.0, with cream to off-white page quality or better was a $100K book and up all day, at auction or not. Oh the times have changed for AF15. The sellers with 6.0's and 6.5's on ebay asking $90K and up, whether with or without the offer option will be waiting a while for those to sell.

4 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Still think a super nice 7.0 with better paper quality can still bring 100k. But yes it has gone down. But like many here I believe it will go back up. This time hopefully at a slower but steady pace.

Maybe, AF15 has been on the decline for quite some time, but just like anything could go back up. And agreed a super nice 7.0 with better pq could definitely sell for a premium. I just think it's leveled off like Gator and others have said was coming.