• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to Drop In Value?
8 8

1,031 posts in this topic

Yeah, I remember Gator mentioning that.  Small gradual increases yearly is healthy for the hobby with some stagnant months/years along the way.  Huge price jumps out of nowhere is not. When that happens, prices will eventually come back down to reality later on.  

On 3/4/2020 at 2:31 PM, NoMan said:
On 3/4/2020 at 2:19 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

I'm old enough to know how the world works, however, it still at times hard for me to wrap my head around that kind of money for a comic book. This is not a slight on comics, comic collectors, key comics, collecting comics, AF15, the state of the hobby or anything other than that's a lot of cash. And yes, I know for some people a million dollars is like the change I keep trying to find in the center console of my Volvo.

On 3/4/2020 at 2:43 PM, NoMan said:

HA takes me serious and thinks I'm a Mac-Daddy due to a pricey book I bought a while ago. Therefor, they take my bids seriously. Wonder if I should place a punishment bid on that AF15 9.4? Guess that could go bad for me and I wouldn't be able to keep my word. Also couldn't do that to Barry Sandoval and Ed Jasper (sp?) who've been nothing but cool to me, helping me uncover the history of my book.  Oh well..... having a conscience and good manners is boring sometimes.:sorry:

Now, aren't you glad that you decided NOT to place that punishment bid on the AF 15 yesterday as that defnitely would NOT have been boring and you probably would have aged several more years by now if you had.  lol  

9 hours ago, peewee22 said:

795k is not chump change. Great finish. With better centering/wrap a 9.4 could fetch close to a mil. That's incredible. :golfclap:

Not sure if the auctioneer thought it was a great finish at all, as I had posted in another thread on the GA boards:

28 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I happen to have some free time this morning, so ended up watching some of the auction action on an off and on basis.

What a contrast between the auction action for the AF 15 as compared to the Donald Duck FC 9.  When it came time for the AF 15 lot, the auctioneer proudly annouced to the attendees that this was the highlight of the entire auction which all of them must have been waiting for.  I then felt embarrased for the poor guy as he stood there like a deer caught in headlights waiting for somebody else (please, please, anybody please!!) to raise the bid above the opening hammer bid of $662.5K.  At first, I found it rather funny that he didn't even know what the next bid increment level was before finally coming up with the $675K figure.  Unfortunately, after standing there for a couple of minutes trying to squeeze a bid (any bid) out of somebody (anybody please), he eventually gave up and declared the book sold at the opening bid of $662.5 and simply moved onto the next lot.  :(

Contrast that with the DD FC9 which started off at something like $15K and nursed it up to almost the $20K mark and then stated that once it hit this price point the increments would be much higher.  You could see that big smile crossed his face once it did hit the $20K mark and after that, he seem to become quite animated and excited as he kept motioning with his right hand after every bid increment.  It was almost like he was egging the telephone bidder to go up just that one more bid increment until it finally hit the $32K hammer price, and at which point he seem so enthused that I thought he was going to do a little jig around the auction floor before moving onto the next lot.  lol  :whee:

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Now, aren't you glad that you decided NOT to place that punishment bid on the AF 15 yesterday as that defnitely would NOT have been boring and you probably would have aged several more years by now if you had.  lol  

Yeah you’re right. Like I said couldn’t do that to the guys over at HA

guess my punishment bid would have been the winning bid  

oh lordy!

5 hours ago, NoMan said:
11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yeah you’re right. Like I said couldn’t do that to the guys over at HA

guess my punishment bid would have been the winning bid  

oh lordy!

No worries about the guys over at HA since you'll be too busy running for cover as I can just imagine what your better half might be saying to you right about now.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:   :slapfight:  :ph34r:

You might even be looking for another bed to sleep in as your bags might already be packed and out the front door.  lol

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure if the auctioneer thought it was a great finish at all, as I had posted in another thread on the GA boards:

It sounds like the internet bidders squeezed every penny from the book before it entered the floor.

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

No worries about the guys over at HA since you'll be too busy running for cover as I can just imagine what your better half might be saying to you right about now.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:   :slapfight:  :ph34r:

You might even be looking for another bed to sleep in as your bags might already be packed and out the front door.  lol

in all seriousness, what happens to a sale of this magnitude if the buyer gets "buyer's remorse" or just splits. I know they've got to kinda know you personally for sales like this, but what if you do skip town. Is it lawsuit time or does the book got to next bidder down, or....  ???

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

in all seriousness, what happens to a sale of this magnitude if the buyer gets "buyer's remorse" or just splits. I know they've got to kinda know you personally for sales like this, but what if you do skip town. Is it lawsuit time or does the book got to next bidder down, or.... ???

They have men that come visit you and collect what you owe...

51 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

They have men that come visit you and collect what you owe...

Yeah, bro, I don't have it now. Next Week. I swear.

The one (and probably only) time I got a high dollar book from HA they wanted to see a letter from my financial guy stating I was a serious bidder even though I had met them at the HA office in Beverly Hills to talk about the book and I told them then, "I'm going to win that book but I might be in Africa when the auction ends." Guess I don't make a good first impression. When I got home, my wife did tell me that my clothes didn't match and I was wearing two different style of tennis shoes. (shrug)

Edited by NoMan

16 hours ago, VintageComics said:

It's frustrating to read all these comments on the internet (both here and social media) that think the 9.4 book sold cheap.

This 9.4 copy sold for $95,000 more than the last 9.4 sold for.

Think about that. :makepoint:

The copies of AF #15 that are selling less than the peak of two years ago ARE STILL SELLING FOR MORE THAN THEY WERE 3 YEARS AGO. A LOT MORE.

2017 was an outlier because a few upgradeable copies set records and then some additional copies went for strong numbers based on those outlier numbers.

I sold a 7.0 for $35K about 8 years ago. Now, 8 years later weak copies are still fetching $80K? And that's a complaint?

People need to stop hyper focusing on what books are selling for month to month, week to week etc. You're losing all perspective, folks.

I'm still confused about this supposed copy that sold for $700K a year ago or so. Where did it sell? Does GPA give any details? It wasn't at auction or on any site for direct purchase. So can only take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by LDarkseid1

13 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I'm still confused about this supposed copy that sold for $700K a year ago or so. Where did it sell? Does GPA give any details? It wasn't at auction or on any site for direct purchase. So can only take it with a grain of salt.

It's still, what, $340K more than a copy sold for on Heritage about 4 years ago??

Not to mention $700K more than 17 years ago. Neither is aesthetically flawless.

:cry::ohnoez::pullhair:

Edited by sledgehammer

1 hour ago, sledgehammer said:

It's still, what, $340K more than a copy sold for on Heritage about 4 years ago??

Not to mention $700K more than 17 years ago. Neither is aesthetically flawless.

:cry::ohnoez::pullhair:

Where did it sell??!!

12 minutes ago, sledgehammer said:

An old label OW sold on Heritage in 2003 for $86K.

No I’m asking about the $700K recent sale that people are referencing? A 9.2 sells for $600K at auction not long ago, and someone conveniently nabs a 9.4 for $700K. Come on.

Edited by LDarkseid1

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:
3 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

An old label OW sold on Heritage in 2003 for $86K.

No I’m asking about the $700K recent sale that people are referencing? A 9.2 sells for $600K at auction not long ago, and someone conveniently nabs a 9.4 for $700K. Come on.

It appears that you are a bit confused about the timing of these 2 transactions here.  :gossip:

The 9.2 copy which sold for $598K on the CC auction platform took place in the summer of 2019.  According to the Heritage thread on the GA boards, the sale on the 9.4 copy for $705K took place back in 2017 or a couple of years prior to the CC 9.2 sale.  This would then make sense from a pricing point of view relative to the timeline of the sale.  (thumbsu

Not sure where the sale took place, but would assume that it would have been a dealer transaction as GPA also reports on transaction for some of the larger dealers.  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

It appears that you are a bit confused about the timing of these 2 transactions here.  :gossip:

The 9.2 copy which sold for $598K on the CC auction platform took place in the summer of 2019.  According to the Heritage thread on the GA boards, the sale on the 9.4 copy for $705K took place back in 2017 or a couple of years prior to the CC 9.2 sale.  This would then make sense from a pricing point of view relative to the timeline of the sale.  (thumbsu

Not sure where the sale took place, but would assume that it would have been a dealer transaction as GPA also reports on transaction for some of the larger dealers.  hm

I admit it. I'm a bit confused.

:ohnoez:

While I appreciate that you might write a longer, more detailed post with explanations, don't. It's not gonna help me and just kinda waste your time. Too many AF15. Wish they would all burn down, except for one. :gossip:

Edited by NoMan