• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection?

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection

497 posts in this topic

Wow, "Collection" is off to a running lead....

So "collection" voters, why isn't it a pedigree? The high grade, typical OO consistent QP and PQ (I imagine, haven't seen any in person...), vast breadth aspects all seem to fall into the pedigree definition.

Is this a backlash against Don Rosa's self-proclamation that his collection is a pedigree? And that he slabbed enough to get CGC to label them with his name? Or...???

Wow, "Collection" is off to a running lead....

So "collection" voters, why isn't it a pedigree? The high grade, typical OO consistent QP and PQ (I imagine, haven't seen any in person...), vast breadth aspects all seem to fall into the pedigree definition.

Is this a backlash against Don Rosa's self-proclamation that his collection is a pedigree? And that he slabbed enough to get CGC to label them with his name? Or...???

It satisfies the OO and high grade requirements, but does it really satisfy the depth and breadth requirements? More importantly, any collection that is exclusively made up of late SA and later should not get a pedigree designation. There is simply nothing unique about having a nice OO collection from this time period.

I have no problem with it being designated a collection, however, as Don Rosa is a notable person in the comic industry and there are people who may be interested in owning or knowing that books have a connection to him.

He is a noted professional he had an original owner collection the books are in high grade he is selling all at once not one issue at a time. It is a pedigree. Dave sims file copies are a pedigree, stan lee, edger church, ect. The age of the books doesn't matter the condition of the books the fact that they are original owner pieces the fact that they belong to a noted professional. These facts all scream pedigree.

There are no distinguishing characteristics to the books in this collection. In fact, while the books themselves are generally nice, there's also a fairly wide variety between grades. I saw a lot of these books in San Diego, and I'd say it's a nice collection, not pedigree.

Late SA books that are in abundant supply. No standout features i.e. QP/PQ. No way to distinguish them from anything else out there. No early keys and for the period in which he collected does it contain modern keys like TMNT #1, Cerebus #1 ?

I say it is a collection not a pedigree.

I vote collection for the reasons expressed above.

If this is a pedigree, I predict you will see many more SA pedigrees over the next 5-20 years to such a degree we will be overwhelmed with designations thus potentially degrading the significance of the prior pedigrees.

I think it merits Pedigree considerations. Original owner, consistent runs, and in general high grades....not every book has to be NM for it to be a pedigree....but I do understand the reservations...time will tell.

VZ

Vinny, what is your opinion on the Sid's Luncheonette books......? Would it have had a chance for designation? Would it have helped if it had been promoted by one of the bigger dealers?

I vote collection for the reasons expressed above.

If this is a pedigree, I predict you will see many more SA pedigrees over the next 5-20 years to such a degree we will be overwhelmed with designations thus potentially degrading the significance of the prior pedigrees.

Definitely a consideration. Better that the standards be stricter than looser.

Personally, I think the newer the books, the higher the standards should be for pedigree designation.

Such factors would include, but not be limited to, the # of books in collection, and the average grade and page quality of the books.

Say a silver age collection appears.....generally high grade and can be traced to be from a single source. How many books should it contain to be considered?

Personally, I think the newer the books, the higher the standards should be for pedigree designation.

Such factors would include, but not be limited to, the # of books in collection, and the average grade and page quality of the books.

Exactly. I would say Oakland, for example, is borderline deserving of a pedigree because of the large number of books and consistently stellar quality (probably averages a 9.6, with more than a few 9.8s?). But even then, the fact that it starts in late SA in my mind crosses it off the pedigree list, although its quality and volume makes it at least worthy of consideration.

I think there are so many high quality OO collections that cover late SA through BA (both discovered and yet to be discovered) that if they were all deemed to be pedigrees, the pedigree designation would become meaningless.

Say a silver age collection appears.....generally high grade and can be traced to be from a single source. How many books should it contain to be considered?

It should contain complete or close-to-complete runs of either most Marvel titles or most DC titles, preferably both, and coverage of one or more other publishers (Dell, GK, Harvey, Charlton, Archie, etc.).

He is a noted professional he had an original owner collection the books are in high grade he is selling all at once not one issue at a time. It is a pedigree. Dave sims file copies are a pedigree, stan lee, edger church, ect. The age of the books doesn't matter the condition of the books the fact that they are original owner pieces the fact that they belong to a noted professional. These facts all scream pedigree.

That's "provenance" NOT "pedigree". Stan Lee is a great example of a "provenance"

Calling any collection that consists of post '65 books a pedigree cheapens the term, unless you are talking about something that wasn't widely collected and kept in grade - like undergrounds or romance books. Otherwise, what's next - copper age pedigrees?

It satisfies the OO and high grade requirements, but does it really satisfy the depth and breadth requirements? More importantly, any collection that is exclusively made up of late SA and later should not get a pedigree designation. There is simply nothing unique about having a nice OO collection from this time period.

I think that this is the crux of the argument against it being a pedigree. Traditionally, pedigrees have been designated because they were unique in some way. I think that, over time, Don Rosa's collection will be one of many similar collections that come on the market. We as a collecting community need to ask ourselves if (marketing aside) we want to have 20 or 30 more pedigrees designated over the next decade. Of course, it's likely that if Don Rosa wasn't famous, we wouldn't even be having this discussion...

Provenance means origin Pedigree is a direct written lineage I don't see how the two are really different. On top of that I have only heard the word Provenance used to help describe pedigree books never as a seperate term. If it was then everybody would be talking about Provenances not pedigrees.