• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection?

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection

497 posts in this topic

Don,

I met you in Baltimore, and think your collection is awesome, I'm betting everyone here is really interested in hearing the story from your perspective, how the books were bought, collected and your decision to sell... what the breadth was of the collection etc., etc.

I spoke to the guy selling your books at the NYC National this past fall. He said that some of your books that were low priced items (under $10 or so) would be put up on Ebay in lots. So far I haven't seen any offered. Will this eventually happen?
Why don't you contact Steve Wyatt, who is "the guy" you are referring to.

Steve Wyatt told me about this discussion. I see it's dated and any posting I make may not even be seen... but did someone still have a question about my collection? Or anything?

Don Rosa is posting on the boards! 893whatthe.gif

Today is a great day.

Steve Wyatt told me about this discussion. I see it's dated and any posting I make may not even be seen... but did someone still have a question about my collection? Or anything?

Don Rosa is posting on the boards! 893whatthe.gif

Today is a great day.

The great day was yesterday.

1585.jpg

Don,

Welcome to the boards! Thanks for making your collection available; like others I've been able to acquire issues that don't surface that often in high grade...

I'd be interested to see the space your collection occupied before it was sold off. I believe I read somewhere that you didn't bag or board the books...?

Sterling

Welcome to the Boards! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Official Suck-Up: I think The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is one of the most impressive pieces of work I've ever read. One question though......any thoughts to a large print edition for us Baby Boomers with failing eyesight so we can appreciate all the gorgeous detail?

If Don Rosa's collection isn't a pedigree,then what is?I don't see where his collection was assembled in any other way than the Church run(i.e. off the stands and through second hand outlets...cons and stores ARE second hand outlets).I personally would love to read or see(dare we hope?)what the gold and silver is like.I first got introduced to Don's work in the early 90's by a friend who owned a comic shop.Welcome to the boards Don,and GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

My understanding on Pedigrees is that there must be a large depth of collection, consistant high quality, large breadth of collection and must have been an original owner.

Depth--Basically # of books.

Breadth--Number of consecutive copies collected and number of titles collected.

Quality--Condition of the books.

Original owner--- Majority of books collected by the owner as the books were printed. Some second hand is possible but not a characteristic of the pedigree.

These seem to be the only characteristics of a pedigree that I have heard about. So Don's would apply, would they not? Anyone, have any other info on what determines a "Pedigree"

My understanding on Pedigrees is that there must be a large depth of collection, consistant high quality, large breadth of collection and must have been an original owner.

Original owner--- Majority of books collected by the owner as the books were printed. Some second hand is possible but not a characteristic of the pedigree.

These seem to be the only characteristics of a pedigree that I have heard about. So Don's would apply, would they not? Anyone, have any other info on what determines a "Pedigree"

If those were the only criteria, then there would be one zillion Copper & Modern pedigrees. I think most pedigree purists would say that a pedigree has to have been compiled during a time when it would have been extremely unusual for someone to purchase a huge amount of comics AND maintain them in great condition. These people would say that any "true" pedigree must contain a significant number of books from before 1965 (actually, some of the more extreme members of this group (cough! pedigreeman! cough!) say that only GA pedigrees can be true pedigrees).

Tim, please stop posting cr@p. You really have no idea what you are saying.

Depth? - The Allentown pedigree has very few books in it. (135 books)

Breadth? - The Denver pedigree only had #1 issues.

Quality? - I have seen quite a few Big Apple pedigree books below NM.

Original Owner? - The San Francisco pedigree was bought by Tom Reilly and then by his parents.

Speaking of Big Apples, I have no idea how this got certified as a Pedigree... i've seen a number of Big Apple books that have very "toasty" interiors and quite honestly, not very desirable copies. Much rather have Harry's copies.

The Silver Big Apples do tend to have poor page quality and can often be quite brittle. The Silver Big Apples are not the reason the pedigree is a pedigree though. From what I understand they get better the further you go back.