• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do they actually Press a Book?

48 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2019 at 9:52 PM, comicginger1789 said:

The real answer? Visit youtube for some demonstrations. There are machines that combine heat, very light moisture and pressure to press a comic.

The better answer? Zoos expanding their revenue streams by having hippos and elephants sit on customer's comics for extended periods of time. 

Yes, You are right. You will get the full pressing video on YouTube. 

You know, this is the Newbie section and the OP was asking a legitimate question.  Some of you guys need to remember that you were once new at this stuff, too.

Real answer: pressing is done in a machine very similar to what's used to press decals onto t-shirts.  Humidity of your local area plays a role.  

2 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

You know, this is the Newbie section and the OP was asking a legitimate question.  Some of you guys need to remember that you were once new at this stuff, too.

Real answer: pressing is done in a machine very similar to what's used to press decals onto t-shirts.  Humidity of your local area plays a role.  

1. The question is too vague to correctly answer.

2. That is not the "real answer"...

2 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Exactly what I'd expect from the biggest smart- on this thread.  Thanks for making my point for me.

What was your point? That people shouldn't be told they're wrong..?

Newsflash: No one's a special snowflake. Not you and not the OP. Humans learn from mistakes - not coddling.

The OP made the mistake of asking a vague and unanswerable question.

I can tell you, that if this question was asked here 10 or 12 years ago, the responses would have been epic.  Pressing was a very heated discussion back then.  That ship has passed long ago.  We are only left with it's wake.  

1 hour ago, RonS2112 said:

There's nothing wrong with being new, or asking a comics related question when you don't know the answer.  BUT I would say its a tough look when you somehow are internet savvy enough to get to this forum and create an account and start a thread, but don't do the BAREST modicum of effort to run a google search or make an effort to think through your question or what potentially would help other people help you.   And it might lead to people dunking on you in sarcastic or creative ways.

The OP is essentially asking internet strangers to share their experience and time and knowledge with another stranger for free, and not making it easy for them to do so.  Especially when they clearly have the capability of searching for the answer themselves FIRST, but have either chosen not to do so or haven't even bothered to think it through that far (but have somehow thought it through enough to create a thread on some esoteric comic forum).  That all seems like entitlement and inconsiderate behavior and should be frowned upon.

And you're right to say that we were all newbies at some point, and certainly might have made mistakes or asked dumb questions.  Its true.  And when that happens, its honestly fine to get dunked on.  Its the internet.  No one is making personal attacks or telling anyone to jump off of cliffs, just some little sarcasm and telling someone to think it through and ask better questions.  Which is almost certainly good advice for the OP (and the rest of us) in general, not just related to comics.

21 minutes ago, revat said:

There's nothing wrong with being new, or asking a comics related question when you don't know the answer.  BUT I would say its a tough look when you somehow are internet savvy enough to get to this forum and create an account and start a thread, but don't do the BAREST modicum of effort to run a google search or make an effort to think through your question or what potentially would help other people help you.   And it might lead to people dunking on you in sarcastic or creative ways.

The OP is essentially asking internet strangers to share their experience and time and knowledge with another stranger for free, and not making it easy for them to do so.  Especially when they clearly have the capability of searching for the answer themselves FIRST, but have either chosen not to do so or haven't even bothered to think it through that far (but have somehow thought it through enough to create a thread on some esoteric comic forum).  That all seems like entitlement and inconsiderate behavior and should be frowned upon.

And you're right to say that we were all newbies at some point, and certainly might have made mistakes or asked dumb questions.  Its true.  And when that happens, its honestly fine to get dunked on.  Its the internet.  No one is making personal attacks or telling anyone to jump off of cliffs, just some little sarcasm and telling someone to think it through and ask better questions.  Which is almost certainly good advice for the OP (and the rest of us) in general, not just related to comics.

Not being a smartass, but I'm going to point out that in the time it took you to type this, a short answer could have been provided to the OPs question, with links to where he could learn more.

29 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:
51 minutes ago, revat said:

Not being a smartass, but I'm going to point out that in the time it took you to type this, a short answer could have been provided to the OPs question, with links to where he could learn more.

no disagreement from me.  But that wouldn't get the 'more important' lesson across.  Its like the scene in Swingers in the diner with Vince Vaughn and John Favreau.  "Your'e a bear and you've got these big claws, and you're asking 'How do I kill the bunny? (paraphrased)'"  OP has the entire internet at his disposal, chooses to post a question than run a search. 

I don't have time to answer dumb questions, but I do have time to hopefully help society ask better questions, and also to post stupid memes that are barely relevant.

swingers.jpg.9408274e1415b412db5dd4b7964dc0e7.jpg

I'm more of a 'teach a man to fish' than a 'give a fish' kinda person.

18 minutes ago, revat said:

no disagreement from me.  But that wouldn't get the 'more important' lesson across.  Its like the scene in Swingers in the diner with Vince Vaughn and John Favreau.  "Your'e a bear and you've got these big claws, and you're asking 'How do I kill the bunny? (paraphrased)'"  OP has the entire internet at his disposal, chooses to post a question than run a search. 

I don't have time to answer dumb questions, but I do have time to hopefully help society ask better questions, and also to post stupid memes that are barely relevant.

swingers.jpg.9408274e1415b412db5dd4b7964dc0e7.jpg

I'm more of a 'teach a man to fish' than a 'give a fish' kinda person.

How about build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.

Spoiler

Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

I agree that the OP had the chance to do some research for themselves and come here and ask some clarifying questions.  That would have been taken differently imo. 

It is no different than someone new posting in the spare a grade forum.  Some people don't provide enough and they get requests for more images or cropped images with circled areas with questions, etc.

On 7/4/2019 at 8:42 PM, Kevin76 said:

No one should be listening to KaptainMyke about pressing

Hey, his book says that he and his co-writers have a combined 10 years experience.

I'm sold :ohnoez:

On 7/4/2019 at 10:53 PM, joeypost said:

A lot of info alright. (thumbsu

how did you start? right here? with a regular iron and a t-shirt press? Its up to who ever to figure their own path out, in my opinion.

Edited by paul747

4 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Ahhh, Flintstone style

pressing.thumb.jpg.b942e62058a8dd754ac71fe40372561e.jpg

And some info on trimming..

trim.jpg.c444729d89b8d4ae36fe0548eb8accc6.jpg

WILLMAAAAA!!!

wilma.jpg.f2cc7077c69e16f836b989476420b030.jpg

lol omg the Flintstones I loved this show but it kind of got ruined for me as I read some crazy fan theory that it was in the post apocalyptic future... I started to see that the fan theory could actually hold true why would they Iron clothes that are rags and know about TV pictures etc... lol I couldn't shake those thought ….:$

On 7/2/2019 at 3:17 PM, revat said:

I'm more interested in what led you to asking such a vague general question here to a bunch of random internet strangers instead of doing the barest modicum of research on the internet to find out the basics for yourself.

But isn't this the newbie thread? Where else would one ask questions like such?