• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I saw the restroom at Metropolis!

41 posts in this topic

An uncouth thread title? Perhaps, but you'll see what I'm talking about shortly. smile.gif

Today, I had the pleasure of visiting Metropolis Collectibles in New York City. I was in the city on business, and had made an appointment with Vincent Zurzolo for a brief visit/tour of their office. Besides having an inventory of over 100,000 gold, silver, and bronze age comics, Metropolis has an absolutely mind-blowing display of original comic art and movie posters.

I met with Vinnie and chatted for a few minutes while Ed Sanchez pulled some books I was interested in purchasing. I also had a chance to briefly meet Steve Fishler and Ben Smith. Just some of the most notable art on the walls included pages from JIM 83, two of the earliest 'TEC Batman covers known to exist, an early Action cover, and a six-sheet poster from the original Frankenstein film, which was described to me as "likely the most valuable movie poster in existence". PovertyRow would have gone nuts had he seen this gigantic beauty. Also on display was a breathing apparatus prop used in the Batman TV show, and the Penguin's umbrella! I can't begin to tell you how awed I was by the sigificant OA in their gallery. Just incredible.

Perhaps the most remarkable area of their office is the bathroom. Yes, the bathroom. I'm quite certain that the value of the OA in their legendary washroom exponentially exceeds my entire net work. How would you like the cover to Ghost Rider # 1 hanging next to your a sink? Or a page from Daredevil # 1? A Kirby/Sinnott FF splash page? No? Then what about an early Sensation Comics cover? Perhaps a fully colored Wonder Woman drawing next to the toliet paper roll would be more to your liking! It was all in there, and a whole lot more.

After receiving the "nickel tour" from Vinnie, I spent a while reviewing the books Ed had pulled. I passed on two of them, but ended up with great raw NM copies of Millie the Model 152 and 153 (gorgeous Ogden Whitney covers), and a very nice FF 24 in raw VF after carefully scrutinizing three somewhat similar copies.

58 minutes and $279.61 later, I was on my way out the door and back into the oppressive New York City heat. Taxiiiiii!!!!!!

Not that Metropolis wants or needs free advertising on the forums, but I thought I'd post this to publicly thank Vinnie for his time today, and to share a memorable little excursion with all of you.

Cheers,

-Jim

Cool report, Jim! thumbsup2.gif

I don't know why, but when I visited several years ago, I was completely oblivious to the OA and the movie posters. Wish I could go back there and re-look at that stuff. Did you see their "warehouse room"? Pretty cool room, the shelves must go up more than 20 feet, with boxes and boxes o' comics.

Thanks, Tim! You should definitely go back there some time and check out the OA and posters.

Yeah, the warehouse room was impressive. I've seen that many books in one place before, but nothing that even comes close to equalling the quality of inventory. They have a well organized filing system and are able to locate books very quickly.

Hey Jim-

Great seeing you today. Glad you enjoyed the Gallery and found some books to boot! My wife re-decorated our bathroom and after she was finished painting, putting up new fixtures, and picking an armoire we hung the art together. It was a lot of fun and I humbly thank you for your compliments-now we have to find the time to re-do the rest of the gallery. If any other Forum members would like to visit just shoot me a PM and we will set it up-we always enjoy sharing our love of the hobby with fellow collectors. See you guys in Shy-Town next week.

VZ

PS- Did anybody listen to the Zone today? I had Pete Bickford of Comic Base and Gary Colabuono on-two very nice and informative guys-worth a listen.

Sorry, Red. I didn't know what my schedule would be like. I ended up having the evening free. sorry.gif I'm staying near Times Square and walked around for just a bit on my way to dinner (yummy but expensive sushi), but it's just too dang hot out to really enjoy it.

So, I'm just hanging in my nice, cool hotel room at the moment. I have to get up at around 4:15 AM to catch a flight to Philly for a client meeting, then back home to SF in the evening. Sigh... All this beforeI leave Friday for a week in Ohio for a day of work and then chilling with my parents who live near Cleveland. I'm also squeezing in a day at Wizard World in Chicago during that time. Busy, busy!

I wanted to try to hook up some o' youse guys, but we'll have to shoot for next time. hi.gif