• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Faded Areas: Impact on Grade?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Just looking for a small piece of advice.

I have noticed recently that quite a few Marvel covers have areas of faded colour, sometimes almost to white, in patches aligned down a page.  Is this a production fault and how significant is it to a grade?  One seller on eBay called it 'colour rub', but I am not sure if that is the correct term?

I have the opportunity to buy a War of the Realms Omega 1, that is in very good nick, other than a slightly faded area about 4mm across and 10mm in length.  Unfortunately i cannot copy and paste a picture, but here is a link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/War-Of-The-Realms-Omega-1-NM-1-50-David-Yardin-Variant/254295406558?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dde0bdf13860b44f1a2dc6bbdd6373afc%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D254295406558%26itm%3D254295406558%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A763bb567-a597-11e9-971b-74dbd180b547%7Cparentrq%3Aec7a210516b0a9c96ead4e8cff7341d5%7Ciid%3A1

The faded area is between Cable's arm and the bottom staple.

I have a copy of Immortal Hulk 2, that has patches like this, but quite a few of them from top to bottom of the page.

What is the official name for this type of issue and is it only me noticing it on recent Marvels?

Many thanks.

I think it's very difficult to assist you without any pics of what you are talking about. Often, books suffer from color fades because the book is on display, open to sunlight. You may be suffering from water exposure, excessive heat exposure, etc. It could be many things that we could only guess at without seeing pics. Sorry. 

On 7/15/2019 at 12:05 PM, Krishosein said:

that looks like a scratch which is a different thing than fading 

this is fading 

IMG_20170827_090126.jpg

Hypothetically if this was a structural 10 what grade would be assigned in your opinion?

4 minutes ago, JTD said:

Hypothetically if this was a structural 10 what grade would be assigned in your opinion?

sorry I am not understanding your question?

4 minutes ago, JTD said:

How bad would CGC dock the grade for the fading?

It really depends on the severity of the fading it could be a from a point to a few points as the cover is a more significant factor into the grade of the book and colours and if the whole cover is faded or sections which area as they also consider the overall appearance of the book as well. So it could be a wide range. 

if you want to know more about grading spend some time in the PGM book section of the forum and maybe ready Overstreet guide to grading to get a feel for it.

11 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

It really depends on the severity of the fading it could be a from a point to a few points as the cover is a more significant factor into the grade of the book and colours and if the whole cover is faded or sections which area as they also consider the overall appearance of the book as well. So it could be a wide range. 

I know it depends on severity, but I’m asking about this specific example.

1 hour ago, JTD said:

I know it depends on severity, but I’m asking about this specific example.

I am not a CGC grader or a pro and based on the photo I randomly grabbed off the net with not other info or back cover etc... I would guestimate the grade to be likely 6 range maybe lower as the entire cover is faded and it does detract from the comic overall most collectors want a nice looking book. 

Just now, TwoPiece said:

:whatthe:

I mean the dudes asking me to tell him like I have the formula for how CGC will bump down the grade like if its structurally 10 what does that even mean a CGC graded 10 book is not just about structure its about production flaws etc.. 

Just now, Krishosein said:

I mean the dudes asking me to tell him like I have the formula for how CGC will bump down the grade like if its structurally 10 what does that even mean a CGC graded 10 book is not just about structure its about production flaws etc.. 

Shape-up, son!

giphy.gif