• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting Over Collecting

6 posts in this topic

I used to have a collection of around 4000 books until hurricane harvey hit in 2017.  The flood came so suddenly that I couldn't save anything. Back then I never had anything slabbed. My collection was mostly Modern with maybe 500 bronze books and 4 or 5 silver age. Not a lot of financial means to throw at it. In May of this year I decided to start rebuilding my collection. I am buying new books and looking for older books from just a few titles to start with. I have been buying Batman Vol 1, Wonder Woman vol 1 and Aquaman vol 1. The ones I can afford are pretty low grade These are books I plan on keeping for my kids to have one day. I'm wondering if its a waste to have these books slabbed? I have about 10 silver age books from those 3 series that I estimate would come out anywhere from 2.0 - 6.0. I recently sent my first submission to CGC, but they were all key modern books, (Batman vol 2 #1, Teen Titans vol 6 #12 and Detective Comics #1000 Artgerm Sirens variant).

Welcome to the boards!

We have a forum where you can post pics of your books and fellow collectors offer grade estimates. It’s called the Hey Buddy Can Ya Spare A Grade forum. That might help confirm your books a little more

if they are not key issues though or important in some way, you are likely not going to lose money. What I mean is you could spend $30-40 on a book that’s only worth $20-30 in that condition so in that case it’s a loss. However if you are hoping to protect your books and that is the purpose of CGCing them, well go for it. Not sure how they would hold up if something bad were to happen again. (sorry to hear about your original collection:(

Water and comics are a terrible mix and I’m not sure a CGC book would still survive without being damaged also. 

So sorry to hear about your collection.

Mylites, Acid Free Backing Boards Protect just as well as a CGC slab as long as the books are stored properly. 

In the future as your collection grows you may want to consider...https://collectinsure.com/?gclid=CJu3heLP8cUCFYuPHwod4kgAww

Coverage is not expensive and you do not have to "jump through hoops".

On 7/21/2019 at 1:43 AM, weasel87 said:

My books are always in bags. they just didn't hold up well under 5' of water. I'll check out the board mentioned above.

You are absolutely correct, most things do not hold up well under 5' of water, hopefully you never have to go through an experience like that again. :wishluck: