• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

shadrochs seemingly endless focus group

32 posts in this topic

Starts here and now. 

One of my rooms is 14 by 31.   I would like to design it as a labyrinth.  So, when You enter the room you are facing showcases on either side of you for ten feet. Four feet in front of you is a wall of art. Four feet to your left is an eight foot glass display case. This herds you back towards the wall you came in from, but one aisle over. Picture a one way supermarket layout.

It allows much better utilization of space as opposed to the traditional use or walls and a center aisle.

I just got back from a week in Bisbee, and had the first of three truckloads delivered. A few hitches but we are doing a second-hand so the first went that well.

Put an ad for for part time work for low pay and vague promises and found a very good handyman who wants to learn the collectable retail field. Might be a great fit.

Met with the plumbers and contractors, started getting the work permits and gathered the documents for my Arizona, County and City licenses. Small towns are so different. Had an issue last week that took a few phone calls to resolve, and I had to fax some documents and a photo id. I walked in a week later and was greeted by name. The receptionist recognized me by the faxed photo.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

One of my rooms is 14 by 31.   I would like to design it as a labyrinth.  So, when You enter the room you are facing showcases on either side of you for ten feet. Four feet in front of you is a wall of art. Four feet to your left is an eight foot glass display case. This herds you back towards the wall you came in from, but one aisle over. Picture a one way supermarket layout.

Thanks for the update.

If customers pause in the labyrinth to look at items, will that keep customers behind them from continuing through? 

Aisles have be 44 inches wide. We laid it out with tape and unless two people are both looking at exactly opposite I don't see a problem. Between the stairs and the lack of fast food, people here are far less obese than in Vegas. I hope it rubs off on me.

I decided to pause most things until I get  a crew in and scrub the place down. I might just give the wood trim a new color, but it needs some eye appeal. There is a woman's shelter nearby that I'm told can coordinate such things. 

Strange bunch of coincidences that worked out in the end.

The old name of the shop at my location was Dees Vintage. Across the street is the Department of Economic Security. I had timed it so all the gridwall and cubes would arrive Weds. They didn't. Amazon said they probably were dropped at the PO for them to deliver. Thursday nothing. Friday I go to the county ups center forty miles away and the dispatcher gets the driver on the phone. He says he went to the Department of Economic Security where they said it wasn't for them. There is a William Ryan Tire Company so he took them there, where someone told him they sometimes get mistaken delivery for a Ryan down the street. So he dumped all 27 boxes of gridwall and the like on this guy's front porch. I drive over and stuff is sitting there.

2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

If customers pause in the labyrinth to look at items, will that keep customers behind them from continuing through? 

This was my first thought too.  Even if Code requires you to have egress spacing, the labyrinth set-up is problematic.

As a customer, if someone was blocking what I wanted to look at, I’d pass it up (most likely).

I’d try and look at a set-up that lends itself to browsing/tire-kicking.  A labyrinth pushes you through.

So what I am doing in the labyrinth will be constructing walls of cubes. Each cube is 14 inches by 14 inches. Wall units will be five high while aisle will be four. Each cube can hold at least twenty pounds, and some cubes can be converted to 14x28 or even 28x28. While I don't expect much shop lifting, this area will have large items not easily concealed.

The idea is that the layout can be very easily changed. In fact, I'm playing with the idea of changing the layout quite often.

It's beginning to come together. Have a working name, have layouts for four of the six areas and more. Unfortunately, the next ten days find me in Vegas.

My lease here is up the end of September and I have a million loose ends to tie.

9 hours ago, slym2none said:

Ah, we now all know who shad has been using as a consultant...

super-butt-funnel1.gif

-slym

“Let’s see, I just showed everyone in America how dirty your kitchen is. You’re a million dollars in debt. And you’ve never turned a profit since you opened the place.  So I taught you a new drink and put in a different backsplash. FIXED!”

Bar Rescue has worked on four bars I'm familiar with in Vegas. One I was a semi regular at.  As of today, one is shuttered and has a Sign saying Coming Soon.

One was sold a month or so after, totally gutted and is now a taco stand. The Blues Bar he renovated closed after two months and reopened back as a Blues club.

The last one was bizarre. The bouncer thought he had an option to buy it but the landlord sold the lease while they were filming.

3 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

“Let’s see, I just showed everyone in America how dirty your kitchen is. You’re a million dollars in debt. And you’ve never turned a profit since you opened the place.  So I taught you a new drink and put in a different backsplash. FIXED!”

And now he fixes marriages.  :facepalm:

@shadroch

Hipsters are weird when it comes to their shopping habits.  This is what I notice about Williamsburg.  In some areas you will find shops that seem to be arranged in nonsensical clutter and there is a artsy group that likes to shop and find surprises.  They enjoy the exploration angle.

Some of the shops though are combining things that would normally go together to much success.  There is a place off Bedford Avenue that sells shoes and is also a cafe that makes espressos and other coffee beverages.  One thing that Hipsters love is their quirky coffee.  If you can get a food handling license to make coffee available in the store that might be a benefit if you have a severely limited menu.  Just source the beans from some place they may not have ever heard from and that coffee will all of a sudden be the must try coffee in town. 

The store that sells the shoes and coffee has a VERY small setup in that there is a lot of display space with little to no product.  Product is showcased like you are at a museum.  There is a clothing store that down the road only has one of each size out.  If you want it they pull it from place.   

Here is how Mother of Junk on Driggs handles their inventory btw... 

http://motherofjunk2.blogspot.com/

These are pictures of how cluttered the place is... yet the hipsters seem to always be in the store... 

https://www.google.com/search?q=mother+of+junk+11211&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS717US717&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiM39mSisnjAhWy1VkKHR9aAH8Q_AUIEigC&biw=1615&bih=799 

Bisbee Collective will be an eclectic mix of businesses in a 2500 square foot building.  One 236 square ft. room will be comic related.  

I'm asking people to examine my ideas and spitball them. Participation is optional. I certainly don't want anyone here that doesn't want to be.

As of today, I have a lease with a keto bakery, and a working understanding with a place called Beggars Tomb for them to consign some of their products.

Have a second 14 x 31 room that's currently a blank canvas.