• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Guys Get All The Breaks - 8.5 to 9.2

286 posts in this topic

Mark,

Does this not get back to the basic moral question.....

Is silence a lie of omission ??

You being a legal beagle and all, how should a jurist respond to

the past 18 pages of accusations and innuendo, pardon the spelling

all, it's been a long weekend.

I believe all these pages would be quashed by a writ of heabeus corpus....

produce the body.

I would concur that every bad thing stated on the previous 18 pages

is entirely possible, but without actually holding the book in my

hands, I could not say with 100% conviction that the original 8.5

was or was not too low of a grade, or that 9.2 is or is not too high

of a grade. And go ahead and blow the image up 1000%. Makes

no difference. Images can be manipulated. Not by me, I'm a real

at that stuff, but it can be done. Refer to greggy's Wonder Woman,

or, don't.

So far 18 pages have been filled. With fluff. Glad you all have

time to kill. I currently do.

Phil

Sounds philosophical Phil. I suppose we need to look at it one of two ways (or perhaps both). We can discuss this specific book, as some have done. Though you rightly point out that there are flaws with that system.

Or we can approach this discussion, as I prefer to do, as indicative of but one possible example of a much larger problem, which I believe I can safely state does exist.

Frankly, to pursue the latter it matters not whether the former is true. The problem is real, and it needs to be addressed. This thread does just that.

I'm shocked that CGC graded this book an 8.5 the first time when a "little guy" submitted it and then a 9.2 the second time when a "big time dealer" submitted it.

yeahok.gif

thats because cgc gives preference to certain dealers

(heritage, comic link, and a few select others) there is no way this book can recive a 2 point grade jump,not to mention better page quality.... now for the cgc cheerleaders out there u can say all u want.. how they have to many books to grade , not enough employess,etc this is not acceptable, if pgx would have made this type of mistake... they would bbe half way out of business by now, but what gets me is cgc made a mistake like this... and the same people will continue to use them... why is that?

I'm shocked that CGC graded this book an 8.5 the first time when a "little guy" submitted it and then a 9.2 the second time when a "big time dealer" submitted it.

yeahok.gif

thats because cgc gives preference to certain dealers

(heritage, comic link, and a few select others) there is no way this book can recive a 2 point grade jump,not to mention better page quality.... now for the cgc cheerleaders out there u can say all u want.. how they have to many books to grade , not enough employess,etc this is not acceptable, if pgx would have made this type of mistake... they would bbe half way out of business by now, but what gets me is cgc made a mistake like this... and the same people will continue to use them... why is that?

because maybe the book was "cooked"....................???

restoration that cannot be detected cannot be used to downgrade a book.

for me the real question was and remains; can a book with a 1/4 inch tear on the spine be a 9.2 irrespective of other defects???? i would have thought not, but just don't know for sure. confused.gif

As reported on the STL Board, Mosconi sold this book to Jason Ewert last year on Ebay in a CGC 8.5 case with offwhite pages. The book has a 1/2 inch tear below the Beast's hand at the spine and also a small stain at the bottom right corner. The grader's notes when it was sold were 8.0, 8.5, and 8.5.

GSX-Men1.jpg

GS1.jpg

Now, the same book is on Ebay is a CGC 9.2 with offwhite to white pages.

GSX192.jpg

Certainly appears to be the same book with the same flaw (tear?) to the left and slightly below the Beast's hand.

confused-smiley-013.gif