• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've noticed a lot of bid retractions lately...
1 1

56 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

In your initial statement, if that was the case,they are the biggest piece of :censored: on the planet, just to drive the price up on a book they have no interest in, unless it is their friends book, which is still slimey but a little more understandable.

even if they are doing it for a friend I don't think they should do it. If there friend wants a certain price then do it as a BIN or set the starting bid near what they want there are so many options, strategies etc.. 

Just now, Krishosein said:

even if they are doing it for a friend I don't think they should do it. If there friend wants a certain price then do it as a BIN or set the starting bid near what they want there are so many options, strategies etc.. 

That's why auctions shouldnt be 7 days in length

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That's why auctions shouldnt be 7 days in length

well for the seller setting the time and opening bid are all up to the seller and what strategy they want to employ when selling their books I just find shill bidding a overall detriment to the market in general or gross misuse of trying to control the market, but in a way its life corporations do this look at the Longo's Loblaws price fixing on bread for like 15 years that came to light a few years ago. there will always be people trying to be shady.

10 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

well for the seller setting the time and opening bid are all up to the seller and what strategy they want to employ when selling their books I just find shill bidding a overall detriment to the market in general or gross misuse of trying to control the market, but in a way its life corporations do this look at the Longo's Loblaws price fixing on bread for like 15 years that came to light a few years ago. there will always be people trying to be shady.

I agree totally

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime"

-Balzac

On 8/3/2019 at 9:49 AM, nepatkm said:

Unfortunately people aren’t taking their bids ( commitments ) seriously lately.

And thats a bad thing. 

It's absolutely the truth. I've been selling on eBay for 20+ years, and have never had so many "bad buyers" as I have seen this last year, or even the last few months. Retractions are one thing. What I'm seeing more and more is buyers asking to cancel the order within a day of the auction ending, stating they "don't want/need it anymore." There seems to be very little sense of accountability with the newer buyers/bidders these days.

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

It's absolutely the truth. I've been selling on eBay for 20+ years, and have never had so many "bad buyers" as I have seen this last year, or even the last few months. Retractions are one thing. What I'm seeing more and more is buyers asking to cancel the order within a day of the auction ending, stating they "don't want/need it anymore." There seems to be very little sense of accountability with the newer buyers/bidders these days.

I dont understand how their excuse is

Dont want or need it. That's crazy.

If I dont really want something I lowball them knowing I probably wont get it,it helps with poor impulse control,and I'm relieved when they decline, and if they accept,than I live with my mistake. It certainly wouldnt be the first time I've been forced to live with a mistake.

There needs to be accountability for people like that

Edited by Hollywood1892

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

What you could do or what I do is, set up BIN with immediate payment required, so they can't "end the listing" without payment....

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What you could do or what I do is, set up BIN with immediate payment required, so they can't "end the listing" without payment....

That seems like a good idea

There should be a strictly comic books Ebay

But not actually called Ebay 

Maybe CBay where all our complaints about Ebay are input.

Where auctions are listed and at most 2 hours.

16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Most of my listings are BIN, because auctions are dying a slow death. However, when I have a large collection of similar items (a collection of Transformers, a collection of Marvel Legends, etc) I find that running a big auction with several listings will get some traction and will outperform BIN's. It's in those instances that I have the problem with non-paying bidders. But yeah, by and large, BIN w/ Best Offer is the best way to roll on the 'bay.

18 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I dont understand how their excuse is

Dont want or need it. That's crazy.

If I dont really want something I lowball them knowing I probably wont get it,it helps with poor impulse control,and I'm relieved when they decline, and if they accept,than I live with my mistake. It certainly wouldnt be the first time I've been forced to live with a mistake.

There needs to be accountability for people like that

Yeah, I had never had someone just straight up tell me "Oh, I don't want it anymore" until the last few months, and now I've had it several times. Of course, they want you to just cancel and move on, but I put them through the whole process. Open a nonpaying bidder case, go through the motions, let them get their unpaid item strike, etc. Of course, with this sort of buyer most of them don't even CARE if they get a strike, they'll just open another account, etc. But I don't let people off the hook. I'm that petty. ha

16 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, I had never had someone just straight up tell me "Oh, I don't want it anymore" until the last few months, and now I've had it several times. Of course, they want you to just cancel and move on, but I put them through the whole process. Open a nonpaying bidder case, go through the motions, let them get their unpaid item strike, etc. Of course, with this sort of buyer most of them don't even CARE if they get a strike, they'll just keep bidding and canceling and ebay will do nothing as an unpaid item strike has no consequence attached to it. But I don't let people off the hook. I'm that petty. ha

ftfy

Bidders that retract their bids usually do so for the following reasons: 

• They realize that they might win and do not have the money. 
  • They are winning the auction then find that they can get it cheaper elsewhere and should not have bid too much. 
  • They are really seeking to be the underbidder (for now) and are testing out the high bid to see how far the high bidder is willing to take it. 
  • Pump up your own or your buddy's auctions / shill bidding
  • For another reason that I cannot think of right now. 

This hobby of ours and the whole collecting thing by buying and selling on the internet is done on the basis of reputation. Our reputation is everything. When people bid and then retract their bids it gives the appearance of malfeasance of the seller's auctions.  When ANYTHING goes on that seems awry in an auction we point a finger at the seller.   I usually no longer do auctions, and on the rare occasion that if I do, I start them at a BIN price. 

I find that people that regularly bid and retract are a nuisance to a listing and should be blocked.  They are not worth the trouble and should be avoided.  They are wastes of space and time. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

• They are winning the auction then find that they can get it cheaper elsewhere and should not have bid too much. 
  • They are really seeking to be the underbidder (for now) and are testing out the high bid to see how far the high bidder is willing to take it. 

This hobby of ours and the whole collecting thing by buying and selling on the internet is done on the basis of reputation. Our reputation is everything. When people bid and then retract their bids it gives the appearance of malfeasance of the seller's auctions.  When ANYTHING goes on that seems awry in an auction we point a finger at the seller.   I usually no longer do auctions, and on the rare occasion that if I do, I start them at a BIN price. 

I find that people that regularly bid and retract are a nuisance to a listing and should be blocked.  They are not worth the trouble and should be avoided.  They are wastes of space and time. 

"Reputation"

Well put(thumbsu

Edited by Hollywood1892

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

yeah I understand your stance on BIN and the other sellers as I see more and more sellers doing the BIN and Best Offer listings just sucks that the bidding thing has gone wayward as I also liked the thrill of auctions as sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. But that's just me.

19 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

yeah I understand your stance on BIN and the other sellers as I see more and more sellers doing the BIN and Best Offer listings just sucks that the bidding thing has gone wayward as I also liked the thrill of auctions as sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. But that's just me.

You want to watch people really get their hands all crazy?

There was a book I wanted that the seller offered at auction with a starting bid of $125 and a Best Offer... 

I noticed it with 11 watchers. 

I made a best offer of $135.  Seller accepted and I took it home.   That was amusing to me. 

But I don't do auctions anymore... if that keeps some people away then so be it.  I was taught something very early on the boards... almost EVERYTHING eventually sells at the price you want for it.