• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do when you receive a CGC 9.8 really isn't a 9.8?
1 1

194 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:
7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's not at all what I said. You've misread my statement completely. Not trying to offend you...just pointing out that you have completely misread what I said.

I have so much respect for you that if we had an uncivilized argument,I would look internally for what the problem was,never too you

What I said was this: "handing out "too many" 9.9s and 10s would have made them look unprofessional, so...they just didn't." I did NOT say: "We no longer hand out 9.9s as much as we used to because we used to hand out too many when we first started." 

For me personally

There needs to be a concrete pricing guide.

The buyers and sellers are controlling the value of the market,like stocks in a similar way,but the difference in stocks for instance is that we are not told what as Steve Jobs said "What we like" we are free to choose,unfortunately you have someone willing to choose to spend 90k for tmnt 1.

We will eventually price ourselves out of the hobby,or if there isnt a fundamental system of pricing the grading of books will collapse.

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

For me personally

The buyers and sellers are controlling the value of the market,like stocks in a similar way,but the difference in stocks for instance is that we are not told what as Steve Jobs said "What we like" we are free to choose,unfortunately you have someone willing to choose to spend 90k for tmnt 1.

We will eventually price ourselves out of the hobby,or if there isnt a fundamental system of pricing the grading of books will collapse.

It couldn't even remotely operate that way. 

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

What I said was this: "handing out "too many" 9.9s and 10s would have made them look unprofessional, so...they just didn't." I did NOT say: "We no longer hand out 9.9s as much as we used to because we used to hand out too many when we first started." 

I know you didnt say that.

But there needs to be a fundamental system in place when it comes to grading,so people cant come along and say

"My 9.8 really isnt a 9.8,it should be less"

Or at least let's hope over time,those opinions continue to fall on deaf ears.

I would much rather,And I'm not being a smart alec, have a 9.8 that should be a 9.6 than having a 9.8 that really has no clear defects and should be a 9.9

Edited by Hollywood1892

On 8/17/2019 at 11:56 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

For me personally

This will never happen.

On 8/16/2019 at 6:57 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

Except the value of a 9.8 is almost double a 9.6

yeah but the buying community created this gap in pricing from a 9.6 to a 9.8 if people who were buying comics were better educated in comics, grading, etc.. they would realize there is barely a difference if any at all between a 9.8 and a 9.6 and should only pay or bid/auction both these grades near each others prices. That's the point I was trying to make. 

On 8/17/2019 at 12:07 AM, kav said:

But then the value of 9.9s would fall dramatically-and then everyone would want the 10's-you can see that right?   If someone is submitting books that arent worth much as 9.8s, not worth submitting, then they only hope for a 9.9 because that would be rare and valuable.  More 9.9s = not rare-not valuable-then they want the 10s.

then those pesky 10.5s might become a thing lol 

54 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

yeah but the buying community created this gap in pricing from a 9.6 to a 9.8 if people who were buying comics were better educated in comics, grading, etc.. they would realize there is barely a difference if any at all between a 9.8 and a 9.6 and should only pay or bid/auction both these grades near each others prices. That's the point I was trying to make. 

That's exactly my argument for concrete pricing on slabbed comics.

How can an unbiased third party comic grading company have no control over the actual value of a comic?