• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All Winners 19 v. Avengers 1
1 1

27 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I like All Winners 19 more...but...

Avengers 1 will go for more and should go for more. There are exponentially more people who are fans of the Avengers and demand drives price.

A smart man told me that for the really cool stuff, there isn't quite enough supply to create the appropriate demand, and that stuff usually goes for less than it should because people don't understand how cool AND rare it is.  I'm usually okay with those results.

Edited by entalmighty1
spelling

Avengers 1 will go for more and should go for more. There are exponentially more people who are fans of the Avengers and demand drives price.

This, by far.

22 minutes ago, Primetime said:

I like All Winners 19 more...but...

I agree with the tall, handsome and wise Texan...

Man, they are both monstrously cool books. The colors on Avengers 1 make my head spin. So beautiful. The font is awesome too - love that early logo and the blurbs with the charter members at the top seem perfectly placed.

You can't miss with either. I agree with the earlier comments that the Avengers edges out the All-Winners in today's market, but I still recall the thrill of reading the reprint in Fantasy Masterpieces 10. What a revelation it was to me as a kid that there was a Timely superhero team in the 40's! Who knew?  :cloud9:

6 hours ago, PopKulture said:

What a revelation it was to me as a kid that there was a Timely superhero team in the 40's! Who knew?  :cloud9:

I think the fact that they didn't start until after WWII was over has always dampened enthusiasm (plus the fact that they only made one other appearance in the GA), but thank you Bill Finger for finally getting the team concept going at Timely/Marvel.

26 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

I think the fact that they didn't start until after WWII was over has always dampened enthusiasm (plus the fact that they only made one other appearance in the GA), but thank you Bill Finger for finally getting the team concept going at Timely/Marvel.

You are right about the curious timing. If ever the US needed a superhero team, it would be DURING the war, not after. By that point the superhero genre had lost its focus and readers had lost their interest. Cap 74 signaled the final death throes.

The team concept of the golden age may have fared better and resonated a little more strongly with today’s collectors had the timing been different 

On 8/20/2019 at 2:28 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Lot of spine ticks for a 9.0, just sayin' :whistle:

Might have something to do with the fact that this particular copy of Avengers 1 was graded back in October of 2011 which is often considered to be one of the "loose" grading time periods for CGC.  (shrug)

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
On 8/20/2019 at 10:28 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Lot of spine ticks for a 9.0, just sayin' :whistle:

Might have something to do with the fact that this particular copy of Avengers 1 was graded back in October of 2011 which is often considered to be one of the "loose" grading time periods for CGC.  (shrug)

Very true.

7 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Neither, just surprised at how much it jumped at the end.

Totally. It was at $12,750 with 20 minutes to go. I threw down a $14k bid near the end, and thought I’d get it. The only thing I got was a big smack down. 

Someone else commented earlier how the Clink auctions sometimes sputter at the end. Well NOT UP IN HERE!

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Totally. It was at $12,750 with 20 minutes to go. I threw down a $14k bid near the end, and thought I’d get it. The only thing I got was a big smack down. 

Too bad it soared out of your reach, but I'm happy a book like this gets some respect, with the highest-graded copy fetching what the umpteenth highest-graded Hulk 181 nets.  :eyeroll:

Edited by PopKulture

20 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Avengers 1 is the winner at $36k.  All Winners came in second at $27k.

I’m so disillusioned.  I think I’m going to go lie down now . . .

If you went back about 15 years or so a 9.0 AW 19 probably would have been close to double what a 9.0 Avengers #1 was.

The book started gaining interest (spelled price increases) when it was mentioned as coming in the Iron Man movies and went on a steady climb since the actual movie series arrived. It’s one of the better examples as how much a movie introduction played on its rise in prices.