• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2022 at 4:16 PM, MR SigS said:

I think the Head-Writer said it better.

By "very slowly," I think she meant, "once we started."

I stopped at ep2, but to me those first two, the above, and Gao's statement in another interview that the writers would sit around in a room and talk about their lives and experiences in order to come up with material suggest these are therapy sessions disguised as a comedic attempt at a simplified reimagining of a decades old superhero they never read.

I never found twerking appealing. Looks like immodest people dealing with a lack of bathroom tissue. :sick:

Now I can imagine them sitting on the couch and talking about life expereinces.  One of them ask if they should maybe look at the actual comics for ideas and they boo that person. 

Yes, the episode was slightly better, but.....

Sorry, I am sick of silly Wong, who does not know how to be Sorcerer Supreme.  They continue to make him boarder line incompetent. I know needed for comedy setup excuse, but there is no way, that the magic community would not have a way of policing itself. The setup for the episode is just bad.

The constant insinuation that there is not a decent or competent male on the planet except for the ones that are goofy or punching bags (this includes Wong) is getting tiresome.  These writers can not write a male character that is not a stereotype. Or flesh out any of the supporting cast in general. The only supporting cast we got this week is again generic, supportive BFF.  We know nothing about her.

If men are going to constantly be berated in this show for sexualizing and dehumanizing women, why is it OK for Jennifer to have a picture of just Captain America's as her wallpaper on her phone. It completely negates any of the higher moral ground she takes. She proves she is just as superficial and self centered as anyone else. Yes, men can be individual_without_enough_empathy's and we get the point, but if it is bad behavior in one direction, it should not be acceptable in the other.

I do not know if the writers are intentionally trying to make a point by showing what women have been subjected to over the years, and are turning the tables (that would at least show some creativity and thought, and may deserve some credit). Or, as revealed by the therapy sessions disguised as a writer's room, are just putting self insert stories and wish fulfillment items into this show at every possible point. I suspect the latter. 

I really am just hate watching at this point.  I am so ashamed.

On 9/8/2022 at 9:28 AM, drotto said:

Yes, the episode was slightly better, but.....

Sorry, I am sick of silly Wong, who does not know how to be Sorcerer Supreme.  They continue to make him boarder line incompetent. I know needed for comedy setup excuse, but there is no way, that the magic community would not have a way of policing itself. The setup for the episode is just bad.

The constant insinuation that there is not a decent or competent male on the planet except for the ones that are goofy or punching bags (this includes Wong) is getting tiresome.  These writers can not write a male character that is not a stereotype. Or flesh out any of the supporting cast in general. The only supporting cast we got this week is again generic, supportive BFF.  We know nothing about her.

If men are going to constantly be berated in this show for sexualizing and dehumanizing women, why is it OK for Jennifer to have a picture of just Captain America's as her wallpaper on her phone. It completely negates any of the higher moral ground she takes. She proves she is just as superficial and self centered as anyone else. Yes, men can be individual_without_enough_empathy's and we get the point, but if it is bad behavior in one direction, it should not be acceptable in the other.

I do not know if the writers are intentionally trying to make a point by showing what women have been subjected to over the years, and are turning the tables (that would at least show some creativity and thought, and may deserve some credit). Or, as revealed by the therapy sessions disguised as a writer's room, are just putting self insert stories and wish fulfillment items into this show at every possible point. I suspect the latter. 

I really am just hate watching at this point.  I am so ashamed.

The funny thing is that it could be good if it was self-aware, satirical, writing.

On 9/8/2022 at 10:27 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The funny thing is that it could be good if it was self-aware, satirical, writing.

Again, the writers prove they know nothing about the law and do not care about any sense of continuity.  I am not a lawyer, but even I realize most of these things. Marvel again do what almost every show does and get a legal consultant.

1. The show sets up the legal system that does not have the laws in place or precedents when it come to powers or magical.  That is why this is the first superhero law group.  So why Wong would use this a a method to police this magician, when the Sorcerers of the Mystic Arts have been self policing themselves for hundreds if not thousands of years? If this guys is such a treat they would go through the notoriously slow an inefficient law system (and in this case unprepared) to stop an imminent threat?

2. Wong admitted to breaking the law by breaking a convicted convict out of jail last episode.  He would be arrested on site if he appeared in a court.

3. In reality there are no surprise witnesses in the US legal system.  Disclosure laws dictate that both side must have all information and know of all witnesses pertinent to the case. If there was a surprise witness, the trial would be adjourned temporarily to allow the opposing lawyer the opportunity for disclosure and the ability to mount a response. 

4. A judge would never permit an obviously intoxicated person to be a witness. Jennifer would likely be admonished or be threated with contempt by the judge, if a witness was ever presented in that fashion and in that state.

5. Titania would likely not be able to trademark the She-Hulk name, and would not be able to sue Jennifer for using it.  The reason is the name was already in common usage and Jennifer did not name herself.  The public and media named her.  You can not sue a person for what others call them.  In addition, she has not profited on the use of the name.

I know it is a comedy, but there needs to be some grounding in reality, and some basic understanding of the continuity you have created from show to show.

Honestly, if this show is really the writers just putting their own experiences and grievances on screen and they are attempting to vent that through comedy, I feel sorry for them.  It must be dreadful to live in a world where everyone around you is this vapid and shallow. Where all these people are just miserable stereotypes. Where everywhere you turn is just seen as another threat or attack on you as a person. It must be a truly stressful and joyless life.  

On 9/8/2022 at 10:55 AM, drotto said:

Again, the writers prove they know nothing about the law and do not care about any sense of continuity.  I am not a lawyer, but even I realize most of these things. Marvel again do what almost every show does and get a legal consultant.

1. The show sets up the legal system that does not have the laws in place or precedents when it come to powers or magical.  That is why this is the first superhero law group.  So why Wong would use this a a method to police this magician, when the Sorcerers of the Mystic Arts have been self policing themselves for hundreds if not thousands of years? If this guys is such a treat they would go through the notoriously slow an inefficient law system (and in this case unprepared) to stop an imminent threat?

2. Wong admitted to breaking the law by breaking a convicted convict out of jail last episode.  He would be arrested on site if he appeared in a court.

3. In reality there are no surprise witnesses in the US legal system.  Disclosure laws dictate that both side must have all information and know of all witnesses pertinent to the case. If there was a surprise witness, the trial would be adjourned temporarily to allow the opposing lawyer the opportunity for disclosure and the ability to mount a response. 

4. A judge would never permit an obviously intoxicated person to be a witness. Jennifer would likely be admonished or be threated with contempt by the judge, if a witness was ever presented in that fashion and in that state.

5. Titania would likely not be able to trademark the She-Hulk name, and would not be able to sue Jennifer for using it.  The reason is the name was already in common usage and Jennifer did not name herself.  The public and media named her.  You can not sue a person for what others call them.  In addition, she has not profited on the use of the name.

I know it is a comedy, but there needs to be some grounding in reality, and some basic understanding of the continuity you have created from show to show.

Honestly, if this show is really the writers just putting their own experiences and grievances on screen and they are attempting to vent that through comedy, I feel sorry for them.  It must be dreadful to live in a world where everyone around you is this vapid and shallow. Where all these people are just miserable stereotypes. Where everywhere you turn is just seen as another threat or attack on you as a person. It must be a truly stressful and joyless life.  

Law & Order isn't a perfect show, but even watching just a few episodes would show the writers how courtroom 'drama' needs to be done in a theatrical manner.

A lot of what you said seems like common sense to me, but we all know how 'common' that 'sense' is these days...

I seriously don't know how this fiasco was green-lit as-is. It's a show with "Law" in the title. Okay, so you hired some writers that don't know anything about law. Not the worst decision in the world. Have them watch some law drama, or research the laws you intend on writing about. They don't want to do that? Okay, hire a consultant to make sure that you're not breaking obvious courtroom proceedings (as you mentioned).

I just can't fathom writing something based on real-life contemporary practices and doing no research to make sure that you're not conveying how ignorant you are

On 9/8/2022 at 11:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Law & Order isn't a perfect show, but even watching just a few episodes would show the writers how courtroom 'drama' needs to be done in a theatrical manner.

A lot of what you said seems like common sense to me, but we all know how 'common' that 'sense' is these days...

I seriously don't know how this fiasco was green-lit as-is. It's a show with "Law" in the title. Okay, so you hired some writers that don't know anything about law. Not the worst decision in the world. Have them watch some law drama, or research the laws you intend on writing about. They don't want to do that? Okay, hire a consultant to make sure that you're not breaking obvious courtroom proceedings (as you mentioned).

I just can't fathom writing something based on real-life contemporary practices and doing no research to make sure that you're not conveying how ignorant you are

I do not expect shows to be dead on accurate. I realize liberties need to be taken for entertainment to work.  Just it does not need to be this obvious or insulting to my intelligence.