• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2022 at 9:19 AM, drotto said:

Ok, am honestly asking here.  I am willing to change, please convince me.  Why is she funny?

I see a generic one note character that I have seen many times before, and done better.  Doing a overdone, repetitive joke, that was barely funny the first time.  Nothing new here, nothing original.  Just a played out tired cliché. So the reasons you like her, are the reasons I find her cringy, annoying, and eye role inducing.

I am in the same camp as you, and it seems there is a divided line among viewers: you either love her or hate her. 

On 9/10/2022 at 10:06 PM, skypinkblu said:

I agree, I was cringing watching her...she's pretty, but such a bad role model for kids.

This could be a much better show if they didn't have to dumb down the women....and Wong...Wong was always the adult in the room... pick someone new to be the comedic relief...

Why exactly is she a bad role model for kids exactly (seriously)?

Other than perhaps coming across as oblivious, she still seems like a fun friend. Wong clearly needed a friend and she seems super nice and easy going, harmless, but is able to keep themselves together for courtrooms and surviving encounters with demons in far off dimensions. She also was the only character to actually be interested in other people, wanting to help and ask questions (and show interest in Wong's interests at the end). Are people just equating with sounding dumb with being dumb?

Also she resulted in a great moment where the magician's lawyer crossed out his notes because it wasn't where he thought the Y was :D

On 9/11/2022 at 6:33 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I believe there is a channel somewhere where episodes of Matlock and Murder She Wrote are available for people looking for courtroom drama and people behaving properly 

Man, I could have sworn there was a channel called Court TV in the early 2000s

On 9/11/2022 at 6:33 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I believe there is a channel somewhere where episodes of Matlock and Murder She Wrote are available for people looking for courtroom drama and people behaving properly 

I am definitely guilty :preach: and I do apologize. I just want the show to be better.

That said allow me to write a very brief scene for an episode of She-Hulk that captures what I want to see instead of what they are doing.

The sorcerer supreme meets Madisynn and while he sees her fun/happy/party girl exterior he also recognizes she has a problem with alcoholism and uses the powerful magic at his disposal and with a simple spell detoxifies her. Now with a clear mind she begins making better decisions and with his guidance the next time we see her she is practicing making a magic portal with a sling ring. Wong becomes a better person which I think the "sorcerer supreme" should be, uses his power for good and saves Madisynn. Take on alcoholism head on and show the world that doing something is better than watching someone and laughing because it is apparently "funny".

On 9/11/2022 at 8:12 AM, Artboy99 said:

I will take a stab at this question:

She is a drunk, constantly carrying around an alcoholic beverage to whatever situation she is in.

because she is so drunk, she can't tell the difference between her normal reality or a different "dimensh" filled with demons. She should be terrified for her life by the demons but because she is so drunk she doesn't care and that makes her dumb.

She lacks respect for the law/ courts giving the bailiff her drink instead of apologizing to the court for her behavior. Yes she didn't know she was going to be making an appearance in court on that day ( and boy doesn't that make sense ) but based on what we have been shown her character would be exactly what we have seen regardless of whether you told her in advance because regardless of the day and time she is in "party" mode and drunk.

Sure, many of us have had times where we perhaps tied one on and drank more than we should have, I admit I am guilty of it myself.  I would appreciate seeing her in a follow-up scene in an upcoming episode where she apologizes to either Wong or Jen for her behavior in court and hopes that her drunken state didn't work against the case but that isn't "funny" so we will not see that. 

The only scene where she isn't shown drinking is the end credits with "Wongers" (UGH) where all they talk about is the type of alcoholic drinks they have had and she asks him if he has some. :facepalm:

She is a bad role model because the actress who plays Madisynn is 38 years old and from that you can assume the character is also 38 years old and she should know better. 

The thing is...was she a drunk, or is she just always that party personality (as we see in the end with Wong)?  We can certainly read that about her character due to 'holding a drink' but what is doing the heavy lifting getting us to 'drunk' is our personal biases. I took her to be just a detached friendly person, not a messy drunk.

I don't feel she came across any more a problematic drunk than any other characters in the show who we have seen spend every evening after work at a bar (the only difference is that she is a bombastic personality). Heck, compared to Tony Stark or Thor she has a far better track record as a role model with respecting government officials as well as 200% less embarrassing party antics. 

...and the last thing this series needs is a heavy handed Wong-sorcery intervention for alcoholism (why would anyone want to reinforce the bogus idea it takes literal SUPERNATURAL MAGIC to beat addiction...that is a very problematic AA way of thinking and would do more harm than good) 

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 9/11/2022 at 7:13 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Plot twist, it stays the same size while your body grows. 

You become the GROWER, your purple pants prevent the SHOWER!

This will give me nightmares

On 9/11/2022 at 7:09 AM, Sauce Dog said:

The thing is...was she a drunk, or is she just always that party personality (as we see in the end with Wong)?  We can certainly read that about her character due to 'holding a drink' but what is doing the heavy lifting getting us to 'drunk' is our personal biases. I took her to be just a detached friendly person, not a messy drunk.

I don't feel she came across any more a problematic drunk than any other characters in the show who we have seen spend every evening after work at a bar (the only difference is that she is a bombastic personality). Heck, compared to Tony Stark or Thor she has a far better track record as a role model with respecting government officials as well as 200% less embarrassing party antics. 

...and the last thing this series needs is a heavy handed Wong-sorcery intervention for alcoholism (why would anyone want to reinforce the bogus idea it takes literal SUPERNATURAL MAGIC to beat addiction...that is a very problematic AA way of thinking and would do more harm than good) 

yes I agree with you my story is heavy handed but it at least includes a message that doing something is preferable to doing nothing but so far absolutely no one in the show is a hero. All the characters are self serving or bumbling. 

And Madisynn is a drunk, the only scene where she isn't clearly drunk is the end credits and all she can talk about is getting another drink.

I will go watch some Matlock now, never seen the show. 

On 9/11/2022 at 7:21 AM, Artboy99 said:

yes I agree with you my story is heavy handed but it at least includes a message that doing something is preferable to doing nothing but so far absolutely no one in the show is a hero. All the characters are self serving or bumbling. 

And Madisynn is a drunk, the only scene where she isn't clearly drunk is the end credits and all she can talk about is getting another drink.

I will go watch some Matlock now, never seen the show. 

You aren't old enough for Matlock