• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

20 years of CGC - 90 years of comics - pretty picture

24 posts in this topic

Really cool, that is an amazing over-arching view! I was also thinking about the transition between the hobby of reading a comic book, rolling it in your back pocket, and riding off on your bike ---> to the hobby of picking the best copy off the shelf and protecting it in plastic and cardboard. 

Edited by All Be D'Oh!

Interesting chart.  

Just as comics from the 2010's are highly skewed towards the upper grades.......I would have thought that comics from the 1930's would have been highly skewed towards the lower grades, just due to their age.  But that doesn't seem to be the case.  It seems to be more of an even distribution for them (with 50 percent being 5.5 or higher and 50 percent being 5.0 or lower).

18 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Interesting chart.  

Just as comics from the 2010's are highly skewed towards the upper grades.......I would have thought that comics from the 1930's would have been highly skewed towards the lower grades, just due to their age.  But that doesn't seem to be the case.  It seems to be more of an even distribution for them (with 50 percent being 5.5 or higher and 50 percent being 5.0 or lower).

Remember that a book has to be sent to CGC in order to be included in the chart.

For the newest comics below 9.8, there's not much reason to submit them vs. keeping them "as is".

For the oldest comics below 4.0, there's not much reason to submit them vs. keeping them "as is".

This is a bit older, but it shows similar information, with the middle/median being roughly the "worth it to submit" line for each decade.  Individual books will vary, but generally speaking, this is a good guide.

highgrade_cgccensus.png

Edited by valiantman

Just now, valiantman said:

Remember that a book has to be sent to CGC in order to be included in the chart.

For the newest comics below 9.8, there's not much reason to submit them vs. keeping them "as is".

For the oldest comics below 4.0, there's not much reason to submit them vs. keeping them "as is".

Yeah....I realize that. 

Still just seems like it would have been skewed toward the lower range a bit more on the 1930's stuff due to the age of the books.  Golden Age isn't really in my collecting wheelhouse, so it was interesting to me to see that it doesn't.  Just an observational opinion on my part. 

Cool chart, though. 

1 minute ago, Domo Arigato said:
9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Yeah....I realize that. 

Still just seems like it would have been skewed toward the lower range a bit more on the 1930's stuff due to the age of the books.  Golden Age isn't really in my collecting wheelhouse, so it was interesting to me to see that it doesn't.  Just an observational opinion on my part. 

Cool chart, though.

Right, the "low grade 1930s" aren't generally "slab-worthy" for many who own/sell/collect those books.  The mid-point (50%) for CGC-slab-worthy is always higher than the mid-point for all-books-in-existence.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

I would expect the chart to skew toward the higher grades because that is where the value and justification would reside. There is a huge population of ungraded books in the lower grades for all the decades, especially the 1930s to 1950s.

But if they become valuable enough even in rough shape, I guess many of them may still end up getting graded. More so the early Actions and Detectives instead of the early Four Colors or Classics Illustrateds.

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

4,500,000+ comics from the (current, September 3, 2019) CGC Census were used in the chart in the first post.

I did an analysis a while back that showed that over 50% of ALL graded books (Universal-label) were 9.6-9.8 range.

It's probably similar or more by now I'd guess.

3 minutes ago, jcjames said:
2 hours ago, valiantman said:

4,500,000+ comics from the (current, September 3, 2019) CGC Census were used in the chart in the first post.

I did an analysis a while back that showed that over 50% of ALL graded books (Universal-label) were 9.6-9.8 range.

It's probably similar or more by now I'd guess.

That something easy to check quickly on my CGCdata.com page: http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/totals/

Yes, it's more than 50% at 9.6 or higher overall and specifically for 1980s and newer.

The decade breakdowns are here (takes a few seconds to run all the calculations): http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/totals/groupby/decade

Edited by valiantman

Is this a percentage or a percentile chart?  
It's late, I'm tired, but I'm having trouble interpreting some numbers.  :frown:  Could be me (prolly is).
So, for 1960's comics, an 8.5 grade or better accounts for 41% of submissions? 

edit: sounds like i need cumulative data explained to me

Edited by Unca Ben
i'm really tired

22 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

So, for 1960's comics, an 8.5 grade or better accounts for 41% of submissions? 

I believe that is correct......at least that's the way I've been interpreting the chart.