• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT ARE THE HIGHEST CONFIRMED 3 GA SALES FOR 2019
1 1

41 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, woowoo said:

:roflmao::makepoint:

I may be right or I may be wrong but it’s certainly not a stretch.

This is a hobby that once viewed Single Series #20 up with Action comics #1, had Marvel comics #1 as the most valuable comic and had Fantastic Four #1 outpace Amazing Fantasy #15 as most valuable for decades.

Things change in this hobby sometimes quickly, sometimes more subtle.

Batman #1 is a fantastic book to own (although nothing close to owning a Tec #27) but also has always seemed a bit easy to obtain with its numbers out there. Captain America #1 is not just a first issue but an introduction to the character. That’s the basis for my thought process. But I also acknowledge that both characters future popularity along with collectors view play into all of this.

We’ll see... 

5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

You might be right, and I hope you are, but we truly do not yet know how intertwined the Cap popularity is with actor Chris Evans. Batman has withstood all sorts of questionable leads (Michael Keaton??!!) and managed to maintain his popularity. I think they jury is still out on Caps cinematic future, and by consequence, his future in the hearts of younger potential collectors 

Hey, Michael Keaton was great! He was the most dangerous cinematic Batman in Batman Returns.

9 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Batman #1 is a fantastic book to own (although nothing close to owning a Tec #27) but also has always seemed a bit easy to obtain with its numbers out there. Captain America #1 is not just a first issue but an introduction to the character. That’s the basis for my thought process. But I also acknowledge that both characters future popularity along with collectors view play into all of this.

We’ll see... 

Batman 1 is both a first issue of Batman's own comic, but also the introduction of two other characters that are pop culture icons that have starred in their own movies (Joker and Catwoman).  And in a world where portraying the Joker seems a strong path to getting Oscar attention (Ledger won posthumously, Phoenix appears poised to get a nomination at least) and the Catwoman has been portrayed by so many of the most inconic acting beauties of the past 50 years that debates ensue as to wore the look best (Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, Eartha Kitt, Michelle Pfeiffer, Halle Berry, Ann Hathaway), the fact that Batman 1 features the first appearance of Joker and Catwoman arguably makes it more socially relevant and cool than CA 1.  IMHO it is much more historically significant to comic history than CA 1.

9 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Hey, Michael Keaton was great! He was the most dangerous cinematic Batman in Batman Returns.

I believe you. He has truly reinvented himself. But at the time, I just saw him as the funny guy in my daughters favorite movie beetlejuice 

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Batman 1 is both a first issue of Batman's own comic, but also the introduction of two other characters that are pop culture icons that have starred in their own movies (Joker and Catwoman).  And in a world where portraying the Joker seems a strong path to getting Oscar attention (Ledger won posthumously, Phoenix appears poised to get a nomination at least) and the Catwoman has been portrayed by so many of the most inconic acting beauties of the past 50 years that debates ensue as to wore the look best (Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, Eartha Kitt, Michelle Pfeiffer, Halle Berry, Ann Hathaway), the fact that Batman 1 features the first appearance of Joker and Catwoman arguably makes it more socially relevant and cool than CA 1.  IMHO it is much more historically significant to comic history than CA 1.

Yes and I considered that too. Like I said an opinion on which book May inch out the other in the future of collectors minds. 

Strictly a side point and not meant to lean an opinion either way but in this cover driven market I also like the more classic cover of Cap hitting Hitler vs the cool but generic Batman and Robin swinging.

Joker not being on the cover is a missed opportunity.

Edited by N e r V

4 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

So I understand why Batman #1 keeps breaking records & IMHO will continue to do so. (even if its not all that rare).

Bat 1 is the opposite of rare, but the demand outstrips supply.

I scratch my head at the prices fetched for Incredible Hulk 181, despite almost 10,000 slabbed copies.

if it weren’t so darned disrespectful, I’d nominate Bat 1 as the ... (choke, gag) ...GA version of IH 181

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

I may be right or I may be wrong but it’s certainly not a stretch.

This is a hobby that once viewed Single Series #20 up with Action comics #1, had Marvel comics #1 as the most valuable comic and had Fantastic Four #1 outpace Amazing Fantasy #15 as most valuable for decades.

Things change in this hobby sometimes quickly, sometimes more subtle.

We’ll see... 

Good point

31 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Now best cover? Cap 1 hands down.

A matter of taste.  I can't fault anyone for picking CA 1 over Batman 1, but to me Batman 1 is one of the most distinctive, timeless, and iconic comic covers of them all.  Just look at it:

Image result for Batman 1 cgc

Iconic pose by the heroes, they really pop against the flat yellow background, and the silhouette of the city in red give the book a movie poster feel that really sets it apart from its brethren.

CA 1, in contrast, for me is not as good a composition.  

Image result for Captain America 1 cgc

It's busy, the figures are a bit stiff (especially in background), it's a busy composition (Bucky obscures CA), and the color scheme just doesn't pop as much.  I get that people love the Hitler getting hit bit, but personally I like Alex S. covers latter in the run a lot more than CA 1.

But its all taste and there are no wrong opinions.

I just posted over on the All Winners #19 vs The Avengers #1 in 9.0 thread in which Avengers is now ahead by a healthy margin in sales over AW #19.

So based on that post if we had a thread on CGC here on which book would be more valuable in the long run with no mention of either a Avengers movie or really the MCU period and All Winners #19 going for about double of a Avengers #1 which book would boardies back then have picked?

Some of these price changes can be due to one character becoming less popular or just one busting out more than the other. Tarzan is a great example of a super popular character in the US that probably barely registers at all with kids or the general public today.

The comic book market today probably goes through more twists and turns than ever before.

Seriously, did any of you predict that Rocket Raccoon would one day be a hot character? 

18 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

A matter of taste.  I can't fault anyone for picking CA 1 over Batman 1, but to me Batman 1 is one of the most distinctive, timeless, and iconic comic covers of them all.  Just look at it:

Iconic pose by the heroes, they really pop against the flat yellow background, and the silhouette of the city in red give the book a movie poster feel that really sets it apart from its brethren.

It's busy, the figures are a bit stiff (especially in background), it's a busy composition (Bucky obscures CA), and the color scheme just doesn't pop as much.  I get that people love the Hitler getting hit bit, but personally I like Alex S. covers latter in the run a lot more than CA 1.

They are both iconic to me but I do agree my favorite Cap covers come later. But I’m of the same opinion with Action comics #1 or most of the early Batman covers.

3 hours ago, N e r V said:

Strictly a side point and not meant to lean an opinion either way but in this cover driven market I also like the more classic cover of Cap hitting Hitler vs the cool but generic Batman and Robin swinging.

Well, that's because the Cap 1 cover was so apropos for the times, while the Bat 1 cover was so ahead of its time in terms of its hidden message and subtlety.  hm  (thumbsu

After all, not quite so generic and mundane if you consider the prurient thoughts they must be having about each other and what's to come later that night.  Definitely the reason why they are looking so happy while "swinging together" and eyeing each other with those big cheshire cat grins on their face.  :blush:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

But Cap 1's got a TV. What kid wouldn't prefer a book with a TV on its cover? :)

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I can't fault anyone for picking CA 1 over Batman 1, but to me Batman 1 is one of the most distinctive, timeless, and iconic comic covers of them all.  Just look at it:

They are both rather lame designs awkwardly executed by third rate artists.  If these were in the middle of the run I don't think there would be any special attention paid to them, save for the Cap 1 which managed to fit Hitler into the scene.

2 hours ago, szav said:

The first Tim Burton Batman movie still stands out to me as the best of all Batman movies.

Watched it again recently with my wife, first time I’d seen it in a decade or so...she had never seen it and thought it was great.

I don’t think it gets the credit it’s due as a really influential movie at the time that fueled a boom in comic book interest.

I was in the middle of a roughly 40 state plus a trip to Canada cross country journey and saw it in New York when it finally opened. Still remember listening to Princes soundtrack with the Bat-dance as I was traveling. At the time it was more than a movie but a event. That was the movie people were actually paying months earlier to see the trailer not caring what the main movie was. Lol

Also enjoyed the video game on my Amiga...