• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Streaming service wars news and trends
4 4

537 posts in this topic

On 11/8/2021 at 3:08 PM, Bosco685 said:

Disney+ will let you watch 'Shang-Chi' and 12 Marvel films in a large IMAX format

I count 13 since it includes GotG Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. :whatthe:

The Disney+ “IMAX enhanced versions” are not true IMAX unfortunately but IMAX certified shot with digital cameras. No Marvel movie was ever filmed using 70mm IMAX cameras. Those cameras are expensive and limited. Nolan used them on Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises and Disney used them for The Force Awakens and Last Jedi. But those shot with digital IMAX cameras are still better than the traditional widescreen aspect ratio as we get a little more from the top and bottom. Keep in mind this is not for the entire movie but more like 20 to 30 minutes as the aspect ratio shifts while you are viewing. The exception being the last two Avengers movies and Shang-Chi which were filmed in their entirety with digital IMAX cams. I’m looking forward to watching those three on D+ without the shifting aspect ratio.

Edited by Oddball

Netflix is going up on price AGAIN in Australia for the Premium plan, by $3 to $22.99 a month, starting in a few days, I believe. Netlflix only started here around 2017, and we've seen constant price increases, and frankly it's starting to become unreasonable (yes, still cheap compared to cable, but considering the number of competitors, it's not a positive PR look). 

For comparison, Disney Plus is $11.99, but of course as a new service I'd expect it to also rise quickly. 

Disney+ Day: The latest updates on Marvel, Star Wars and more

On Friday, Disney+ will celebrate its anniversary with Disney+ Day. Friday morning, Disney+ will share new teasers, trailers and posters to the Disney+ Twitter feed, giving us a glimpse at what's to come to the streaming service in the near future.

Marvel Studios is expected to drop a new Marvel Cinematic Universe trailer, which will showcase new MCU content coming to Disney+.

Lucasfilm will likely share a teaser trailer for the “Obi-Wan Kenobi” Disney+ series and a reel of clips for the “Rogue One” prequel series, “Andor,” among other content.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:09 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Netflix is going up on price AGAIN in Australia for the Premium plan, by $3 to $22.99 a month, starting in a few days, I believe. Netlflix only started here around 2017, and we've seen constant price increases, and frankly it's starting to become unreasonable (yes, still cheap compared to cable, but considering the number of competitors, it's not a positive PR look). 

For comparison, Disney Plus is $11.99, but of course as a new service I'd expect it to also rise quickly. 

I've completely quit Netflix and have no regrets

On 11/14/2021 at 4:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

Disney_Meals.thumb.jpg.1634516f38133ae8081fb594c482514f.jpg

Same great cola: less filling!

:148480718_drumrollemoji:

While that absolutely sucks, it has been going on in the food industry for years.  Boxes of cereal, candy bars, poptarts, heck you name it.  Portion sizes are smaller than 10 years ago, but price is either the same or has gone up.  Nothing new here.

On 11/14/2021 at 5:22 PM, media_junkie said:

While that absolutely sucks, it has been going on in the food industry for years.  Boxes of cereal, candy bars, poptarts, heck you name it.  Portion sizes are smaller than 10 years ago, but price is either the same or has gone up.  Nothing new here.

I'm sure the food industry leads noted "You all need to lose weight anyway. Get over it!"

Disney_Meals2.thumb.jpg.d4372fc1d3c9282236870898271a02c8.jpg

:bigsmile:

Since the service was launched two years ago, the streamer has remained true to a classic Disney model, releasing only content that's suitable for the entirety of the family. That means absolutely no R-rated content is found on the streamer proper unless you live in a market where Star is integrated with the service.

Now, it's said some Disney executives believe subscription numbers will stagnate unless they make a slight pivot with the streamer's content output. To remedy that, it's suggested Disney+ introduce some programming offerings that may not fall in line with the platform's family-friendly fare. 

The report comes from entertainment reporter Dylan Byers, who says current Disney CEO Bob Chapek is one of the main driving forces behind the change, while former CEO and current executive chairman Bob Iger is insisting the company remains family-friendly on Disney+.

"Bob Iger 'insisted on sticking to the narrow definition,' one of those sources told me," Byers writes in his latest blog post. "Chapek 'intends to expand it,' but the anxiety among some insiders is that the famously data-driven Chapek lacks the creative vision to do it the right way."

Was wondering how long Disney+ would stick to the family-friendly content.

Wow! At this point Marvel Studios drives the train.

One of Disney+’s biggest advantages since launch has been its parent company’s ownership of Marvel, which has allowed the SVOD to launch ambitious, nine-figure superhero TV series that fellow streaming newbies like Peacock and Apple TV+ have lacked.  

Over half of survey respondents said that Marvel TV series are a major reason why they subscribe to Disney+, while almost 9% said the series are the sole reason that they subscribe to the Disney streaming service. 

I mentioned Netflix AU's price increase earlier. As to be expected Disney Plus has risen dramatically too for its second year. It's gone from $70AU annually to $117. Quite a leap there, but really, one we were all expecting. 

I just renewed my Disney+ sub for another year. Pricing increased a bit but still totally worth it. I still have a couple of months left on my HBOMAX, haven’t decided if I will renew for another year yet. I loved the fact that so many films were hitting the streamer on the same day as theaters. That will end eventually but HBO still has a huge catalog of shows. But my favorite is probably my AMC+ subscription. AMC+ is a bundle that includes the complete Shudder library as well as IFC and Sundance. And obviously AMC. All for $8.99 a month. 

On 1/6/2022 at 9:36 AM, ▫️ said:

I just renewed my Disney+ sub for another year. Pricing increased a bit but still totally worth it. I still have a couple of months left on my HBOMAX, haven’t decided if I will renew for another year yet. I loved the fact that so many films were hitting the streamer on the same day as theaters. That will end eventually but HBO still has a huge catalog of shows. But my favorite is probably my AMC+ subscription. AMC+ is a bundle that includes the complete Shudder library as well as IFC and Sundance. And obviously AMC. All for $8.99 a month. 

Hulu and HBO Max so far seem to bring the most diverse portfolio of properties from my experience.

Luckily I get Hulu via T-Mobile and HBO Max due to my Verizon package. Disney+ for now without the Star Wars and MCU content just seems to have so much of its 'From The Vault' content we own already. And with the 20th Century Studios content much of the more adult content ends up on Hulu anyway.