• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Streaming service wars news and trends
4 4

529 posts in this topic

Chapek, speaking at a Goldman Sachs media conference, said the company remains confident in its long-term projections. And core market subscriber growth will continue both domestically and internationally in Q4 despite “headwinds” in Latin America and India, and Covid-induced production delays that created a kink in the supply chain for new content coming to the service.

“This is very short term,” he said, in fact, has been resolved. The studio currently has 61 new movies and 17 episodic programs in production. The television group has “hundreds” of new programs in production and the company has 200 productions underway across the globe.

“The supply chain is healthy … but the resurgence of Covid and Delta did impact production so we have a lighter production quota in Q4 then we might have expected,” Chapek said, He didn’t mention specific productions delayed by the fast spreading variant.

Edited by Bosco685

Speaking during the virtual Goldman Sachs Communacopia Conference from Los Angeles, he said he has been spending “about two weeks a month” out West to learn about the “substantial” history of Warner and its successes and to “meet as many people as I can” within the company to “understand all the different points of view about where the industry is.”

But he said he was also meeting people, including old friends, from outside the company, because “we also need to bring some more great people into the company” after the merger. Describing a busy schedule, he said: “This week I am meeting with over 50 people in the business,” also sharing that “I met with Chuck Lorre the other day.” After all, “this business starts with great IP … and terrific content.”

The Discovery CEO also shared that “we did have an off-side (meeting) for several days; we did have some real-time with some of the strong Warner leaders going through their business.” Due to rules for mergers “there were lawyers there; there was a lot that we couldn’t see and that we couldn’t talk about,” but the company is preparing for the deal close as much as possible.

Just streamed Halloween Kills from the Peacock app. You’ll need a PeacockPlus premium plan to watch it though. I paid $9.99 for 30 days and will cancel after checking out all the movies and shows I’m interested in. For any fans who grew up with those original Halloween movies, the new cannon for this current run is:

John Carpenters Halloween 1978, Halloween 2018, Halloween Kills 2021 and then Halloween Ends 2022. 

I thought the 2018 direct sequel to the 78 was great even though very light on the kills. Which they made up for in spades with the appropriately named Halloween Kills. However, Kills was a dumb movie with surprisingly bad acting and dialogue from the older veteran actors while the newer younger generation of actors pulled off much better performances. A bad movie with a saving grace: the kills were exceptional. I can’t believe they got away with an R rating. They must have skirted that line between R and Unrated. I’m not sure if there was more brutality than Rob Zombie’s Halloween remakes but it was definitely up there. Absolutely worth watching for the kills alone if you’re a horror movie fanatic. I don’t usually note the soundtrack but they did an exceptional job of creating tension when Michael Myers was on scene with a revamped version of the classic themes. This will go down for me as a bad movie that will be fun to rewatch with friends. 

Comcast struck a deal with Apple that will bring the Apple TV app, which includes access to the Apple TV Plus subscription service, to the cable giant’s Xfinity X1, Flex, XClass TV and Sky Glass platforms, CEO Brian Roberts announced on the company’s Q3 earnings call.

In turn, under the pact, Comcast’s Stream app will be launching on Apple TV set-top boxes, Roberts said. A Comcast rep said the Apple TV app would launch on Comcast video platforms in “the coming months” but didn’t have specific dates.

For Apple, the pact extends the video app’s reach to Comcast’s Xfinity X1 customers and broadband subs who use the Flex set-top to access over-the-top video. The app also will alight on Sky Glass TVs in the U.K. and Comcast’s new XClass TV line of smart televisions for the U.S. market, which for the first time extends Comcast’s streaming-entertainment platform outside its footprint. The XClass TVs, built by Hisense, are priced at starting at $298 and will include 12 months of NBCUniversal’s Peacock Premium with ads (normally $4.99/month).

On 10/30/2021 at 6:11 PM, Dr. Dank said:

FB_IMG_1635635398793.jpg

Reminds me of the time someone was trying to get me to watch a video of 2 girls one drinking container.. 

Spoiler

Nope... 

Discovery is bringing on former Disney top executive and his “old friend” Kevin Mayer to consult on the future of streaming at the company as it moves closer to its planned merger with WarnerMedia, CEO David Zaslav said on Wednesday. He said Mayer has committed to bringing his expertise on windowing and packaging and the like, acquired during his experience launching Disney+, to the company, which will help the team fine-tune its direct-to-consumer strategy. “Kevin has a big brain,” Zaslav said, also joking about how the executive is busy with various jobs, including as chairman of sports streamer DAZN. “He’s super excited about getting in the car with us.”

On 11/5/2021 at 2:51 AM, Oddball said:

Watching the new Tom Hanks sci-fi movie Finch on AppleTV+. As stingy as Apple is, I’m surprised they aren’t pulling a Disney and charging me extra to see their big budget films. I suspect that since Apple is new in the streaming market they need to build their service and rep first. I think the service is $4.99 a month by itself but there are annual free packages available if you sign up for certain cellular or cable plans. I get it in a subscription package because I wanted the 2TB of cloud storage space. It’s not a bad deal since Apple Music is in that package. But if you don’t want or need any of that, you can just pay for a month for five bucks and watch some good stuff in their limited library and cancel. 

Just stopping by to add the new emoticons.

:148480718_drumrollemoji:

:484890371_hitthefanemoji:

:860033678_canofwormsemoji:

:392152159_flamethroweremoji:

:2135781879_wavingwhiteflagemoji:

On 10/31/2021 at 9:22 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Reminds me of the time someone was trying to get me to watch a video of 2 girls one drinking container.. 

Hide contents

Nope... 

Have you ever seen that heart-warming photo of those elderly gents having a garden celebration in their micro citrus orchard? 

It brought a tear to my eye, it did. 

You should DEFINITELY look that one up. 2c

Disney+ will let you watch 'Shang-Chi' and 12 Marvel films in a large IMAX format

Marvel's superheroes are about to get a bit bigger on your TV. Disney+ announced today that it's adding an expanded IMAX aspect ratio for 13 Marvel titles, including Shang-Chi and Black Panther, on November 12th (AKA "Disney+ Day"). The 1.90:1 IMAX aspect ratio will look up to 26 percent taller than the typical 2.35:1 widescreen format in Marvel films, so those annoying black bars will almost disappear while you're watching scenes shot in IMAX. (You'll still see some slight bars, though, as the IMAX format doesn't completely fill 16x9 widescreen TVs).

Here are all the IMAX Enhanced films arriving on Disney+ on November 12th:

• Ant-Man and the Wasp
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Black Panther
  • Black Widow
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Captain Marvel
  • Doctor Strange
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2
  • Iron Man
  • Thor Ragnarok
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

I count 13 since it includes GotG Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. :whatthe:

Disney Plus slammed on the brakes in the most recent quarter, gaining 2.1 million customers — the streamer’s slowest growth since launching two years ago.

As of Oct. 2, Disney Plus had 118.1 million paid subscribers worldwide, inching up from 116 million at the end of the prior quarter, the company said in reporting its fiscal Q4 2021 results.

The number was well short of Wall Street forecasts: Analysts on average expected Disney Plus subscribers to reach 126.2 million for the quarter, per FactSet. In September, CEO Bob Chapek had cautioned that Disney expected the streamer’s growth to slow down from the prior quarter to increase by a net “low single-digit millions of subscribers,” citing in part COVID-related production delays.

The Mouse House is banking on a boost to Disney Plus subscriber rolls for the year-end 2021 calendar quarter with the weeklong “Disney Plus Day” celebration, marking the two-year anniversary of the streamer’s debut. The marketing event includes a limited-time promo offering Disney Plus for $1.99 for the first month to new and returning customers.

Variety sure pulled the right image for this news.

On 11/11/2021 at 12:10 AM, Bosco685 said:

Variety sure pulled the right image for this news.

I just noticed she is holding an AA12. How the hell did I miss that before? Well I know how I missed it but still. Did she use this in the movie? In real life this would break down the human body like a lego set crashing to the floor. In the clip below, dude pulls one completely submerged out of a barrel and lets loose.

1D7234A6-4B5F-4C8C-9375-6A9FEBC52823.gif

On 11/10/2021 at 4:41 PM, Oddball said:

I just noticed she is holding an AA12. How the hell did I miss that before? Well I know how I missed it but still. Did she use this in the movie? In real life this would break down the human body like a lego set crashing to the floor. In the clip below, dude pulls one completely submerged out of a barrel and lets loose.

1D7234A6-4B5F-4C8C-9375-6A9FEBC52823.gif

That's FPSRussia. Been a long time since I saw his videos.