• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making a big purchase from a new seller
2 2

38 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Krishosein said:

I would have to disagree with this. 

What about a person who inherits a collection from someone and they know nothing about it, but would like the books to go to a community where they would be appreciated... 

I think its fine to sell on the boards so long as there is the option for buyer and seller protection such as the use of Paypal, ebay transactions or in-person transactions. 

The sales section was intended for transactions between members. I don't believe it was ever thought that it would be popular enough to attract outsiders.

I wager that the purchase happened in this thread:

The seller just joined Saturday; his initial posts were questions asking about how to sell. He sounds as if he is as new to selling big books online as the OP is to buying them.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

21 hours ago, Pontoon said:

I wager that the purchase happened in this thread:

The seller just joined Saturday; his initial posts were questions asking about how to sell. He sounds as if he is as new to selling big books online as the OP is to buying them.

Good morning guys,

Yes, I am indeed the seller in question, as well as new to selling books online.

As for the sale, the first book shipped yesterday. We both agreed that PayPal was the safest for both of us. But this was after we traded personal phone numbers, personal facebooks, had a long talk on the phone, several videos were sent to the buyer, and MANY photos! I even sent videos of the book being packed/packing materials, and a tamper seal to assure I hadn’t opened the box after the packing video. I then sent photos from the shipping office of the secondary packaging (possibly slightly overboard), the receipt showing payment for shipping, insurance, as well as tracking information. I then updated PayPal with the tracking info. All of which I paid. The PayPal was also set up so that I would not receive payment until the buyer received the book. I’m not really sure there was anything else we could have done to make the transaction more safe or secure. I feel both of us are very happy with the transaction so far, and it was really cool making a new friend in the process! 🤗

As for me, again, yes I am very new to selling books. But I would wager to guess that I took more steps than most sellers would to ensure the buyer was happy and safe. 

I did read read all of the newbie stickies, and many previous posts on how sales were conducted online. I did not see anything saying that newbies were not allowed to sell books, and even created the post linked above to ensure I was doing it properly. In the end I’m 100% sure the buyer will be happy, as I sold the book below normal selling price.

As for “should I be allowed to sell” I believe so? I’m older (40), and have been an active forum member in MANY car forums! I’m an active race car driver and have made hundreds of online transactions (buying/selling) outside of comics. I have only ever purchased books from private dealers, but never sold. I chose these boards based on the books were CGC graded, and it seemed best to return to the source so to speak. It seemed a better option than say eBay or trying my luck at a local shop, as I don’t believe I would have been offered fair pricing locally. I could be mistsken as I didn’t try. But I don’t believe you need a certain “post count” to have a love for comics, or to pass them along to other comic lovers. If I weren’t prepping a professional race car I wouldn’t have even sold them. But the funds could be better used at this time, and I would MUCH RATHER prefer someone that will LOVE the books ends up with them, rather than a shop that will only try to buy low and sell high. 

My apologies if my actions offended anyone here! But in the end I know the buyer will be happy and has already expressed that he will post his full reaction to the transaction on the boards after he receives the book next week! 

Thanks guys!🙇🏻‍♂️  

Edited by Indy Eric
Spelling/grammar

If it were me, I'd start small.  So while by all means even relatively new board members  should be allowed to sell here, none have the track record demonstrating the kind of integrity required for selling pricey books.  And it takes more than one or two satisfactory transactions to build that trust.

I know that's how I started selling here, and factors into my willingness to buy from newer members.  

Edited by namisgr

5 minutes ago, namisgr said:

If it were me, I'd start small.  So while by all means even relatively new board members  should be allowed to sell here, none have the track record demonstrating the kind of integrity required of larger transactions.

I know that's how I started selling here, and how I approach considering buying from newer members.

While I completely understand your logic, I’ve sold entire race car engines priced above what both of my books would value at as a first sale! Buyer/seller protections should be in place always, but I didn’t see a need to part with any of my lesser valued books. The two I chose to sell were chosen so I could part with as few books as possible. But I also wanted my “prized possessions” to go to a good home, not just a store that would just up sell them tomorrow. Hearing the back story from the buyer about how he had one in 1974, and how this was his return to the book was an added bonus and really made me feel happier to sell it. Maybe things are different inside the car community, as many parts start out over $3000, and a lot of the time it’s sellers that only joined message boards because they were getting out of racing, or because they are parting out an initial build to upgrade for the next season. The time involved in racing doesn’t allow most of us a ton of free time to be on boards, so you see a lot of expensive sales made by new members. 

Just as an interesting point of reference, I personally purchased a $9000 NASCAR transmission a few weeks ago for $6000 based on a phone call to the seller. He wasn’t even a board member anywhere. I got his number passed to me from a buddy. But he didn’t have a website or a store front. After several phone conversations/text messages/pics sent to me, I sent him a $6000 bank transfer in two parts for the transmission. He was several states away and provided tracking once it shipped. Everything arrived as stated. So as you can see I saw this as a much safer transaction than that. Sure, I could have attempted to purchase several smaller items from him first, but I didn’t need them. I think things are just different inside the racing community. I can also say that in 20+ years for racing, I haven’t been scammed yet purchasing in this manner. A phone call goes a long way to me! In person is always preferred, but it’s not always an option. 

99B8DCF7-FE0B-4438-A141-55A8B25F0E37.thumb.jpeg.4df17baac19dce4726204cdc8204bb37.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Indy Eric said:

While I completely understand your logic, I’ve sold entire race car engines priced above what both of my books would value at as a first sale! Buyer/seller protections should be in place always, but I didn’t see a need to part with any of my lesser valued books. The two I chose to sell were chosen so I could part with as few books as possible. But I also wanted my “prized possessions” to go to a good home, not just a store that would just up sell them tomorrow. Hearing the back story from the buyer about how he had one in 1974, and how this was his return to the book was an added bonus and really made me feel happier to sell it. Maybe things are different inside the car community, as many parts start out over $3000, and a lot of the time it’s sellers that only joined message boards because they were getting out of racing, or because they are parting out an initial build to upgrade for the next season. The time involved in racing doesn’t allow most of us a ton of free time to be on boards, so you see a lot of expensive sales made by new members. 

That's all well and good, but it wouldn't mean anything to me as a prospective buyer in the Boards marketplace.  A new board member builds trust selling in the marketplace by conducting a series of satisfactory comic-related transactions, preferably with small ticket books given the lack of a track record.  There's plenty of time to list more expensive material once that track record as a seller is in place.

1 minute ago, Indy Eric said:

Just as an interesting point of reference, I personally purchased a $9000 NASCAR transmission a few weeks ago for $6000 based on a phone call to the seller. He wasn’t even a board member anywhere. I got his number passed to me from a buddy. But he didn’t have a website or a store front. After several phone conversations/text messages/pics sent to me, I sent him a $6000 bank transfer in two parts for the transmission. He was several states away and provided tracking once it shipped. Everything arrived as stated. So as you can see I saw this as a much safer transaction than that. Sure, I could have attempted to purchase several smaller items from him first, but I didn’t need them. I think things are just different inside the racing community. I can also say that in 20+ years for racing, I haven’t been scammed yet purchasing in this manner. A phone call goes a long way to me! In person is always preferred, but it’s not always an option. 

Unfortunately, over the years there have been plenty of problematic transactions here.  One peek at the Probation thread will show that.  

I would never consider buying a four figure comic from you at this stage of your experience in the marketplace.  I'm probably not alone.

2 minutes ago, namisgr said:

That's all well and good, but it wouldn't mean anything to me as a prospective buyer in the Boards marketplace.  A new board member builds trust selling in the marketplace by conducting a series of satisfactory comic-related transactions, preferably with small ticket books given the lack of a track record.  There's plenty of time to list more expensive material once that track record as a seller is in place.

Again, I understand and respect your logic! 🙇🏻‍♂️ I’m only stating that for some of us it’s ok is all. 

1 minute ago, namisgr said:

Unfortunately, over the years there have been plenty of problematic transactions here.  One peek at the Probation thread will show that.  

I would never consider buying a four figure comic from you at this stage of your experience in the marketplace.  I'm probably not alone.

Once again, I understand that. I placed them at a great deal and someone “took a chance” albeit a protected chance. Once his book arrives I’m sure he will post it up along with his personal experience. I actually had several DMs asking for it had he backed out for whatever reason. I’m not disagreeing with you. I fully understand that your standpoint may not be yours alone. But they are a great deal and some of us would be happy to buy things that some may consider risky. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Hopefully this initial sale will prove to people I am who I say I am, and any future books are what I say they are. Thank you for your forum wisdom and even though we don’t agree I do appreciate it. So thank you 

Dave,

I would suggest the following. 

Ask for some previous feedback from other buyers if this is a large book.

Don't use paypal friends and family.(it doesn't give you the same protection as straight buying.

If you really want to cover yourself your credit card will give you better protection then just paypal 

The seller has already made some good first steps as detailed above I think. Also advice to seller
which has already been mentioned start small and make sure you can give them some feedback from 
other buyers that are boardies if you can.

New sellers selling big books make everyone nervous. Send it bullet proof and with good tracking.
Remember it protects both you and the buyer.

Edited by fastballspecial

I think the seller did a great job with these large transaction and as long as the buyer and seller are both safe and happy I don't really see the problem with a  newish member selling a large book. 

I mean if I ever do decide to sell a book I would think I would be in the same situation. As if I had to part with something from my collection I would be more inclined to part with 1 large book to fund my emergency or need then to sell off multiple books. 

I mean sell with paypal, pack well only ship with tracking.. what else could you do in this situation?

I would rather part with 1 treasured book than a dozen other treasured books. 

28 minutes ago, Djohnson321 said:

I just received my big purchase from seller, a Hulk 181 cgc 7.5!  The book is beautiful, CGC case is in excellent condition.  Book was packaged extremely well and I followed delivery through tracking number provided by seller.  Excellent communication from seller. Very satisfied, thanks again for all the feedback! Talking and texting with seller, as well as making payment via PayPal good & services, definitely cooled my nerves until book arrived!

Again, it was a pleasure meeting you and very nice doing business with you! Hopefully the packaging wasn’t too much for you! Safety first haha! Good luck to you finding the other books you are looking for. My 181 will be missed, but I’m happy it went to a good home! 🤗 Best wishes!!

see I dont see why you can't do a big deal as a new comer as long as the buyer and seller both feel comfortable and happy with the transaction and its details.

Two favorite pieces of my comic collection came from brand new sellers with single digit or no feedback on eBay.  Sometimes it is worth rolling the dice. 

Edited by Buzzetta