• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is My LCS Ripping Me Off ?

102 posts in this topic

Oh come on guys, he's jones-ing for some comics, it's like crack he has to have it. Sure the LCS treats him poorly, no different than a pusher. If this is the only way to get his comic fix, cut him a little slack. It's equal to, LCS comics or NO comics. This is not an option.

wink.gif

Great analogy,couldn't have said it better myself.

I couldn't imagine going without my fix for a week or more so I bit the bullet and paid the price they asked.

That won't be happening anymore, all my back issue shopping will be done on line from now on.

Oh come on guys, he's jones-ing for some comics, it's like crack he has to have it. Sure the LCS treats him poorly, no different than a pusher. If this is the only way to get his comic fix, cut him a little slack. It's equal to, LCS comics or NO comics. This is not an option.

wink.gif

Great analogy,couldn't have said it better myself.

I couldn't imagine going without my fix for a week or more so I bit the bullet and paid the price they asked.

That won't be happening anymore, all my back issue shopping will be done on line from now on.

See? It is not now and never was the only place to get his fix. We all have choices that we make for ourselves. EVEN IF IT WAS the only place to get that fix, just like with a drug pusher, no one forces you to buy it and you don't need it to live. Let's take some personal reponsibility for our actions. That's all I'm sayin'. However, it is a cliche to use the term "it's a ripoff" here or there to describe outlandish prices so in that sense I agree.

what i don't get is why you don't buy from some aussie ebayers as well. i seem to see aussie auctions not all that infrequently, not to mention a comic shop in a big australian city that does mail order at not overly outrageous prices (not that i'm trying to cut into comic supply's or donut's action here) -- or are you already in melbourne or sidney?

on an unrelated note, other than lack of comics, how is australia? every couple of months my wife, not so jokingly, jokes that we should move there, mostly based on how nice Aussies seem to be when we meet them in vacation spots around the world. Or are Aussies just that nice when they're on vacation?

what i don't get is why you don't buy from some aussie ebayers as well. i seem to see aussie auctions not all that infrequently, not to mention a comic shop in a big australian city that does mail order at not overly outrageous prices (not that i'm trying to cut into comic supply's or donut's action here) -- or are you already in melbourne or sidney?

Fair enough question,I've only had a PC for the last two years, I'm a bit of a technophobe and until quite recently I was computer illiterate.

I really don't like using e-bay to be honest, I've been burnt a few times by people and haven't used it in a long time.

I also prefer to buy books in person so I can check them over properly before purchasing rather than rely on a scan.

I've met people through this site who I trust and will be doing buisness with from now on, I'd like to thank them for offering their help...thanks guys wink.gif

on an unrelated note, other than lack of comics, how is australia? every couple of months my wife, not so jokingly, jokes that we should move there, mostly based on how nice Aussies seem to be when we meet them in vacation spots around the world. Or are Aussies just that nice when they're on vacation?

Australia is o'kay, but if you're looking for friendly people stay away from Sydney. It's a big city like any other in the world with all the same problems and about 30-40% of the population aren't even Australian.

Get out of Sydney and Melbourne and into the small towns or out in the bush and you'll meet some really good people who'd give you the shirt off their back, just don't go in the middle of summer.

Wait a minute, after all this, you completely disregarded the unanimous advice of everyone who took the time to respond to your question and went ahead and bought those issues at those crazy prices from your abusive LCS anyway? WTF?

Why the F have you been wasting our time if your mind was made up all this time? God, I`m so tired of newbies coming on here and asking for advice and then disregarding it because their mind seems to have been made up already. If you don`t want advice that goes against what you want to do, don`t f-ing ask for it then! Later, noob, you`ve used up any good will I might`ve had for you.

Wait a minute, after all this, you completely disregarded the unanimous advice of everyone who took the time to respond to your question and went ahead and bought those issues at those crazy prices from your abusive LCS anyway? WTF?

Why the F have you been wasting our time if your mind was made up all this time? God, I`m so tired of newbies coming on here and asking for advice and then disregarding it because their mind seems to have been made up already. If you don`t want advice that goes against what you want to do, don`t f-ing ask for it then! Later, noob, you`ve used up any good will I might`ve had for you.

Excuse me?....I bought the books BEFORE I started the thread, re-read it and keep your abuse to yourself!!!

The point of the thread was to gauge the opinion of people here as to whether or not the prices at this shop were comparitivley high or normal for an average comic shop. I had no other way to do this.

Knowone twisted your arm to reply to this thread and your the rudest S.O.B I've EVER run into on the net...you must have a lot of friends with that attitude.

Australia is o'kay, but if you're looking for friendly people stay away from Sydney. It's a big city like any other in the world with all the same problems and about 30-40% of the population aren't even Australian.

Get out of Sydney and Melbourne and into the small towns or out in the bush and you'll meet some really good people who'd give you the shirt off their back, just don't go in the middle of summer.

I think the same holds true for the States once you get out of the City. The only time I lived outside the city for a good period of time (2 months) was when I was doing some bridge inspection work near Saginaw, Michigan. Everywhere I went people would say hi to me, and were generally very friendly.

Excuse me?....I bought the books BEFORE I started the thread, re-read it and keep your abuse to yourself!!!

The point of the thread was to gauge the opinion of people here as to whether or not the prices at this shop were comparitivley high or normal for an average comic shop. I had no other way to do this.

Knowone twisted your arm to reply to this thread and your the rudest S.O.B I've EVER run into on the net...you must have a lot of friends with that attitude.

Looks like YOU`RE the one that needs a little refresher in reading comprehension. Here`s your original post, and I`ve even highlighted the section where you talk about the Byrne FFs for your convenience, since you like to be molly-coddled. Please point out where in this post, or anywhere else in any of your subsequent posts, until the one that set me off, you state that you actually bought those FFs from your LCS.

Hey guys,

I've got a question to put to the board members here who have a choice of where they shop for comics in the city where they live.

Where I live there are four comic shops, of those four two sell only moderns,TPB's,Manga,toys etc... one is a small shop with very little back issue stock over 15 years old which leaves me with one shop which is pretty well stocked with bronze and early copper age stuff...this is where I do most of my buying.

I go in once a fortnight and spend an average of $200 per visit on books, the service sucks, the staff are either arrogant or socially inept freaks who'll give you one syllable answers to questions and won't even look you in the eye.

One guy who serves in the shop...(could be the owners son)has some kind of slight mental disorder which causes him to mumble and say strange totally irrelavent things to noboddy in particular, this guy even asked me to add up the cost of the books I was buying for him after he tried 3 times with the help of a calculator and failed

70-80% of the back issue stock is unbagged in the bins with the remaining 20-30% of bagged books in poly bags that look like they've been on the bag since the books were released in the 1970's with no backing boards, nothing is priced or graded, just put into the bins where after been flicked through by thousands of people over a long period the tops of most books are damaged to some degree.

At the moment I'm trying to complete a run of John Byrne era Fantastic Four, common cheap books from the early-mid 80's so I go in to the store and grab issues 242 up to 275 from the bins all mid grade stuff at best, the guy at the counter takes a look then grabs the Overstreet and tells me he wants $7.50 per book.

The Overstreet price for these books is between $4-$6 U.S even adding the difference between my countries $ and the U.S dollar this seems a little rough to me, all the books were in mid-grade with a couple that I didn't check properly in the store grading even lower than that and the guide price is for NM-,9.2.

When I pointed out to the guy that the books are mid-grade at best and that the $4 price in the guide is for a NM copy, he looks at me like I said I wanted to screw his mother and say's "Well there's only one price listed !" loudly and rudely.

Forgive my ignorance on this matter, but is it accepted Comic Shop policy that when the overstreet only lists a NM price for a book as it does with many copper-modern comics that you apply that NM price to the books you sell even if it's plainly obvious that the books are well below the NM grade?

Wouldn't it be common sense and good buisness practice to charge a few bucks less per book taking into account the lower grade of the comics and not just saying that the Overstreet doesn't have any lower prices listed so I'll slug you with NM prices?

I have no choice where I buy locally and I guess the owner of this shop knows that and takes advantage of collectors like myself who don't have any other option , I buy all my key books and older silver/bronze stuff over the net but it's just not practical to buy bulk lots of common copper books from overseas sources.

What do you guys think, the people who have multipile, well stocked stores in your city...am I getting ripped off here?

I can`t believe you have the gall to say "Knowone twisted your arm to reply to this thread". You`re right, no one twisted it, I was replying in a good faith attempt to help you out. Too bad it turns out you were just playing us all for suckers.

How am I playing anyone for a sucker?...I bought the books before I even joined this site a few days back.

my reply to the above post has been taken out of context by YOU and YOU alone

You've got a serious problem mate, I've reported your abusive post to the mods it's up to them what they do.

Stay out of my thread and away from me from now on

You've got a serious problem mate, I've reported your abusive post to the mods it's up to them what they do.

Dude, if you think my post was abusive, you`re not going to be long for these boards.

Stay out of my thread and away from me from now on

With pleasure.

tth2 has been nothing but helpful to everyone on these boards. I've personally NEVER seen him respond like this to ANYONE in my year and a half on these boards--so you definitely struck a nerve. There has been some thoughtful suggestions and your responses have been terse and condescending at times. In this day and time with the Internet you should NEVER have to put up with bad customer service, product, and price. I agree with Sid that you already know you aren't getting a good deal, so don't ask us if you are being ripped off, and then go off and say they are "your only choice". I love comics as much as the next guy, but no one wants to be taken on a bad deal.

Please do us a favor and don't ask for recommendations if you aren't really needing them.

That said, grow some thick skin if you plan on sticking around.

Dude, if you think my post was abusive, you`re not going to be long for these boards.

Hey, I'm a laid back, nice sort of guy.

I consider you to be rude,arrogant and abussive, I came here to talk comics with like mined people,maybe learn a thing or two and enjoy myself not get into flame wars over rubbish.

It's just comic books mate, not life and death...I really can't comprehend where your coming from...seriously.

I consider you to be rude,arrogant and abussive, I came here to talk comics with like mined people,maybe learn a thing or two and enjoy myself not get into flame wars over rubbish.

It's just comic books mate, not life and death...I really can't comprehend where your coming from...seriously.

Hit the reset button on your attitude. tth2 is one of the good guys on the board.

tth has been nothing but helpful to everyone on these boards. I've personally NEVER seen him respond like this to ANYONE in my year and a half on these boards--so you definitely struck a nerve. There has been some thoughtful suggestions and your responses have been terse and condescending at times. In this day and time with the Internet you should NEVER have to put up with bad customer service, product, and price. I agree with Sid that you already know you aren't getting a good deal, so don't ask us if you are being ripped off, and then go off and say they are "your only choice".

Please do us a favor and don't ask for recommendations if you aren't really needing them.

That said, grow some thick skin if you plan on sticking around.

I thought I'd been polite?

I went out of my way to be polite.

I'm just not as worldly wise as some of you guys about comic books and I realise that I just wanted to learn.

How have I been condescending?

I thought I'd been polite?

I went out of my way to be polite.

I'm just not as worldly wise as some of you guys about comic books and I realise that I just wanted to learn.

How have I been condescending?

Well, take your first response to me. And you later talk to points I didn't see in your original post. Maybe not the best choice of words but all I'm saying is that people want to help. confused-smiley-013.gif

Let's just clean the slate and move on.

Say, do you collect DC comics?

I think the same holds true for the States once you get out of the City. The only time I lived outside the city for a good period of time (2 months) was when I was doing some bridge inspection work near Saginaw, Michigan. Everywhere I went people would say hi to me, and were generally very friendly.

The big Zilwaukee? bridge?

Hit the reset button on your attitude. tth2 is one of the good guys on the board.

Listen to sterling. He speaks wise words. thumbsup2.gif