• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is My LCS Ripping Me Off ?

102 posts in this topic

10 pounds of books = 40 issues with bags and boards safley packed for the trip over there

USPS

Mailing Service Summary

Mailing Service Your Cost

Economy (Surface) Parcel Post (10 pounds) $28.10

Insurance (Insured for $50.00) $1.85

Total $29.95

Estimated delivery time to Australia is 4 - 6 Weeks.

While the quanity could be upped without boards, postage is a killer.

As for the way your shop prices, yes it's a ripoff. At my shops, the price you see is the price you pay, and if a customer drops a sack on the counter, he's going to get a discount.

I should have some of those FF's too, just let me know.

Don

I received 4 books from the U.K yesterday, postage was 16 british pounds which works out as $37 Australian, can you imagine the price for 30 or 60 books?

They must have all been CGC and insured for.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif...one million dollars.

Or else somebody ripped you off.

I don't have experience buying modern books like this online, so I couldn't tell you which online dealers might have them in their inventory, other than Mile High, but perhaps others can direct you to the right places and then you can inquire what shipping such a package to Oz would be.

Bronze, why dont you contact board members ComicSupply(Russ) and Mycomicshop.com (Dave,i think flowerred.gif)

They could give you an idea of what it would cost.

Yeah, I Think I'll do that, my LCS has just lost one good customer who spends at least $200 each time he steps foot in their shop, I won't be goping back.

The rude bulls#$% I had to up with today for daring to question this guys grading and pricing is the last straw for me...screw them!

Two Words

M BAG

It takes 6 weeks or so, but it's really inexpensive. I sold a bunch of Defenders to some guy in the Netherlands and it was about 7 weeks I think. It wasn't too much either. There are plenty of people here in the states that would do this for you (me). Also, I've dealt with Flying Donut and he'd hook you up too.

Good Luck, the Byrne run is great.

Also, BAD comic shops and BAD service exists for an extended length of time only if the consumers enable them to do so. Speak with your wallet...buy your new books at another store.....save up your money and bite the bullet on shipping costs to get those back issues that you really want.

I hear what your saying and I'm speaking with my wallet from now on, it's funny but everytime I've been into this store going through the back issues I've never seen anyone else in there at the same time. I've seen the shop busy but never anyone in the back issue section...maybe I should have taken that as a sign.

Finally, if there are 4 comic stores in your area(do they all carry U.S. comics?)

Yeah, they all have U.S comics but this shop is the only one with back issues older than 15 years.

...then there is obviously some form of collecting community around. Step out of your comfort zone and strike up conversations with the other collectors at these stores...who knows what kind of connections you'll make? Just try to avoid acting like a stalker. crazy.gif

I've tried talking about comics with the guy who owns this store and a couple of his clerks on a few occasions, they just aren't interested in talking.

There's a yearly convention here called Supernova which is coming up in October, I haven't been for 5 years, mostly because it's been taken over by the Manga types who like to dress up as Sailor Moon but I plan on going this year to see if I can find any serious comic fans or dealers to talk with.

None of my friends collect either, it's always been a solitary hobbie for me.

Your comic shop is ripping you off. If you want those books, PM me and we'll see what we can do.

Hi FlyingDonut,

I've just been checking out your site, those are some seriously nice prices and good books you've got in your bronze section there.

I'll be ordering some books from you in the very near future.

I'm surprised you even asked that question. In no possible way are you being ripped off.

In EVERY possible way you are being ripped off.

I'd bet there are plenty of guys on this forum who'd go shopping for you and ship the books inexpensively for reimbursement.

I'm surprised you even asked that question. In no possible way are you being ripped off.

I'd bet there are plenty of guys on this forum who'd go shopping for you and ship the books inexpensively for reimbursement.

I would. hi.gif

Huh? Want to explain that please? If you walk into a store under your own free will and the employees gives you bad service and overprice the books that you are interested in, and then YOU accept them as is at the offered price, then HOW are you being ripped off?

Do you understand what personal responsibility is? Why is it that some people want to blame others for OUR mistakes? WE choose what we are willing to pay. WE choose where to shop. Let's not pass the buck here. The store sucks, but if you choose to do business there then don't blame them for the overpriced books that YOU chose to buy.

One guy who serves in the shop...(could be the owners son)has some kind of slight mental disorder which causes him to mumble and say strange totally irrelavent things to noboddy in particular, this guy even asked me to add up the cost of the books I was buying for him after he tried 3 times with the help of a calculator and failed blush.gif

This is the exact opposite of my last LCS owner. I would hand the guy up to 30 modern books I was purchasing (ranging between $1.50 and $4.95). He would flip through the books in like 10 seconds, then deduct 20% in his head, and tell me how much I owed him. At first I though he was ripping me off, but when I got home and did the math, the guy was within a $1 every time.

My previous LCS owner was somewhat of jerk at times. When I walked into his store with jeans, a baseball cap, and unshaven, he would treat me like a nobody. After I graduated college and started working, I would stop at his shop in a shirt and tie, and he'd treat me like I was his best friend or something. He would even tell me stories about how he lost his ASM #1 book in a home fire. Plus, he'd give me free books every now and then for being a customer (he never did that before). All along I was actually purchasing less books than when I was in college.

i'm not going to read the whole thread, but i'd guestimate 8-10 comics fit in a global priority fixed rate envelope and that's like $10-$11 to australia. these are usually $1-$3 a piece over here, so, compared to $7.50, even with the extra shipping costs i think you can buy from the u.s.

anyway, i'd be happy to work something out with you as well, as I have most of the Byrne FF run in triplicate (these were my favorite books for a while), but Donut has probably beaten me to the punch and likely has them in octupalate.

"Yeah, they all have U.S comics but this shop is the only one with back issues older than 15 years."

Here in the states, I've got 4 comic stores located within an hour's drive. Service and back issue availability is as follows:

Store #1 - Friendliest service...broad range of new issues...back issues boxes only go to copper age...wall books include silver/bronze keys that have been exposed to sunlight too long - I get most new issues from here and buy a few back issues once or twice a year to give them a little loyalty business.

Store #2 - Ran by a nice guy and his 75 year old mother(huh? what book did you want? speak up sonny!!). New issues cater to Marvel/DC only. Back issues boxes include a nice range of silver/bronze/modern with decent grades..only problem is that they are overpriced for most books below vf/nm. I drop by there every other month to search for hidden gems in the boxes. Backup site for sold-out new issues.

Store #3 - Combo comics/Computer Gaming store. If you can get them off of the latest 1st person shooter game, then you can get decent service. New issues cater to Marvel/DC only. Back issues boxes are a joke. They think copper age books are really old stuff. Only stop there if I'm bored or need to kill some time.

Store #4 - Newest shop. Only LCS friendly toward CGC books. Friendly father/son ownership. Wide range of new issues including many variant books. I've been able to pickup many a "sold-out" Crisis storyline issue two weeks after the fact for cover price. Back issue boxes only go to bronze age...usually in low to midgrade condition, but priced as if near mint. They are for looks only, because they apparently don't intend to sell them based on the prices. 2nd pickup location for new books...just close my eyes while passing the boxed comics.

Just thought I'd share a little of your pain...as it is difficult to find good service and selection in most locations no matter where you are...and that's why the internet is so successful despite all the many gripes about it, as it sometimes is the only or best option available.

Hey Russell.

I've bought bags and other supplies from your store before, actually at the moment I'm waiting for some mylites and archive sleeves that I ordered from you last week.

You guys always give great customer service and have a good turn around speed and I wish there were more shop owners out there like you...particulary in my area.

I'll definitely be putting more buisness your way in the future...not just for mylites and backing boards though wink.gif

Huh? Want to explain that please? If you walk into a store under your own free will and the employees gives you bad service and overprice the books that you are interested in, and then YOU accept them as is at the offered price, then HOW are you being ripped off?

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Do you understand what personal responsibility is? Why is it that some people want to blame others for OUR mistakes? WE choose what we are willing to pay. WE choose where to shop. Let's not pass the buck here. The store sucks, but if you choose to do business there then don't blame them for the overpriced books that YOU chose to buy.

I agree. I guess it would depend on what you define as "being ripped off" - If you KNOW you're being ripped off, are you still being ripped off? The LCS is certainly TRYING to rip him off. (He doesn't fall for it though smile.gif He steers away from the purchase, and thus no off-ripment (now there's a word) has actually been done. He's being ripped off only if he accepts the purchase at $7,50 a piece, thinking this is an OK price, not knowing better.

If a tree falls in the woods..

Our automatic international postage cost is always set to $9 U.S. We say we can fit 12 comics in there plus plenty of protective cardboard. If it's a large order we always subsidize some of the shipping and send by air mail. You can usually get 25 comics for about $15 shipping from us after subsidy.

I was going to suggest you deal directly with the owner of the store but you've said you tried that too.

If stuff isn't bagged and priced, forget about it.

Cheers,

Marc

Oh come on guys, he's jones-ing for some comics, it's like crack he has to have it. Sure the LCS treats him poorly, no different than a pusher. If this is the only way to get his comic fix, cut him a little slack. It's equal to, LCS comics or NO comics. This is not an option.

wink.gif