• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what was your 1st piece of orignal art you ever brought

49 posts in this topic

Art Adams cover to Fantastic Four when it featured Wolverine, Spidey, Hulk, and Ghost Rider. I paid $400 for it, got home, realized I could not to afford both high grade comics and art. I brought it back to the boston con a month later and the dealer (Scott Dunbier) gave me my money back even though I told him I was willing to take $325 for it because it was my mistake and I felt guilty asking him to take it back.

God, I am sooooo smart, I would kill to have that piece now Christo_pull_hair.gif and, not just that, but it's probably worth about $5000 today foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

God, I am sooooo smart, I would kill to have that piece now Christo_pull_hair.gif and, not just that, but it's probably worth about $5000 today foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

But Steve, I bet you still did ok with the HG comics you bought with the cash. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But Steve, I bet you still did ok with the HG comics you bought with the cash. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

True, At that show I bought an unrestored (aprox, these days, 8.5) Cap America # 3 from Carbonaro for a (at the time) hefty price. One of the best cap covers! One of the best unrestored copies I have seen to this day and when I sold it years later, I did very well. grin.gif

But now, I collect OA and don't have an Art Adams piece frown.gif

I got this piece from Jim Warden in San Diego a while back. It cost me $224 some change and a few pieces of candy. I had offered $220, as I was trying to keep the $4 for food, but he made me give all up. Anyway it was well worth it. My favorite title by my favorite artist.

I was in Iowa City and John Romita Jr. happened to be living there at the time (late 1980s). His house was about 5 blocks away and I had met him at a local show. I went to interview him for a class project (I was in Journalism School Master's Program at Univ of Iowa) and he had all this original art laying around. I bought 2 pages of Iron Man from him. I wanted to buy more (he had a STACK of pages from Iron Man and Daredevil) but as a student just couldn't justify the expense. Of course, I wish I had bought it now, in retrospect! Bottom line is that JR Jr. is one of the nicest, most down to earth guys I had met in comics and I really enjoyed meeting him, talking about comics, and looking at his art. Here's one of the pieces I picked up.

IM266splash.jpg

My first piece was an Ultimate Spider-Man page, I saw it on EBay for about $50, and I thought it would be nifty to have a piece of art. Then of course, the OA bug hit me, and I started buying some more...

Yes. I think this is what happened to all of us. Once you get a piece, you are hooked. As Glen Gold wrote in his December 2004 article in Playboy, if collecting is a drug, then original art is CRACK.

27_laughing.gif

My first page was Legends of the DC Universe #39, page 9 by Randy Green. It's a really nice Superman page with lots of action and a great shot of Superman across the middle which is now framed and on the wall at home.

Next I bought a nice Superman Origin page by Mike Wieringo in Adventures of Superman #600, page 17.

I'm looking to see what number three will bring me for my new hobby. smile.gif

I arranged a deal with Tony Harris when he ran the Jolly Roger Studio website back in 2003. Sent him a MO for $115 and everything for a Liberty File page we had emailed each other about. The douchenozzle never sent the page and then blamed his email being down for lack of service/correspondence (which totally doesn't explain why he wouldn't have sent out the page after he received my money). Never sent me the page or the refund that I later requested.

Totally hate that guy now, almost turned me off to buying art completely. I tried filing something with the USPS (where I got the MO) but nothing ever came of it. Stupid Tony Harris. I keep the MO receipt to remind to never deal with MOs for stuff like that ever again. And I later saw the page on a dealer's website. sumo.gif

Then I bought a cheap MOKF page that was inked by Mignola for under $20 and I was back in the game.

tom. do i detect a superman collection theme in the works. ;]

larry

Hehe, I always liked Superman as the classic icon he is and ever since I saw my first original art page at a comic shop when I was about 11, I knew I wanted to own my own original page. I bought that first page and then thought I was done. I then found a page I liked better because it had his origin in it. Then I thought I was done again. Yeah right! crazy.gif

Now I don't know what I want next, another Superman page to continue my trend or maybe some other JLA characters. Time will tell but I do have to say that I'm enjoying this part of the comics hobby way more than collecting the actual comics. smile.gif

Totally hate that guy now, almost turned me off to buying art completely. I tried filing something with the USPS (where I got the MO) but nothing ever came of it. Stupid Tony Harris. I keep the MO receipt to remind to never deal with MOs for stuff like that ever again. And I later saw the page on a dealer's website. sumo.gif

Tony Harris has a reputation for being forgetful / late / etc with his art sales, but I dont think he's evil or anything (I'm not making excuses for him, I'd be pi$$ed too). I can get you back in contact with him if you want to make this right.

Tony Harris has a reputation for being forgetful / late / etc with his art sales, but I dont think he's evil or anything (I'm not making excuses for him, I'd be pi$$ed too). I can get you back in contact with him if you want to make this right.

Yeah, it went beyond being forgetful or late with me. This was in 2003 and I tried for over two months to get either the page or my money back from him and he was less than helpful. After the initial email problems he had, we corresponded several times with him either saying it wasn't his fault or asking me for my address.

I never did get anything and have no reason to believe further contact with him now would result in anything different. I wish the complaint I filed with the USPS had resulted in something. It really had amounted to theft on his part, I just think the total wasn't enough for them to be interested in pursuing it (plus it is the Post Office crazy.gif).

Thanks for the offer though, I really do appreciate it.

jeffro, sweet page. thanks for sharing. i always thought alcala best stuff was conan with big john busema. but that is a very nice piece. larry thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. I bought this one from Ed Hannigan himself for a whole $10. 893whatthe.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks. I bought this one from Ed Hannigan himself for a whole $10. 893whatthe.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

well it safe to say you at least doubled your money on that page. just kidding. what a smart pick up. quote from robo cop. ill buy that for a dollar. takeit.gif